Sweden delays sending back Erdogan dissenters


Date posted: August 3, 2016

The decision covers “people with credible connection to the attempted coup on July 15th” in Turkey, where an attempted military takeover was foiled after President Recap Tayyip Erdogan rallied supporters to quash the move.

The group considered by the Migration Agency to be at potential risk includes supporters of Turkish opposition leader Fethullah Gülen, whom Ankara has named as responsible for the coup attempt against Erdogan.

People who have taken part in “credible political opposition” are also part of the risk group, the Migration Agency writes on its website. The decision was taken on July 18th and is valid until further notice.

The migration authority also says that decisions on granting asylum to members of the concerned groups may be temporarily delayed because the agency believes further information on the “political and safety situation in Turkey” is needed.

The Swedish Migration Agency also advised that the situation in Turkey does not hinder tourist transfers via Istanbul or other Turkish airports.

Erdogan has responded to the failed coup by closing dozens of media outlets, while he also demanded last week that Germany should extradite supporters of Gulen, as well as for Gulen himself to be extradited by the USA, where he lives.

Source: The Local SE , August 3, 2016


Related News

Which is the bigger threat, Turkey’s coup or Erdogan’s response?

Erdogan’s counter-coup may do more to change Turkish politics than the coup plotters ever sought, completing the country’s transformation from secular democracy to what’s fast becoming the new favorite government for aspiring dictators — one where the media is strictly controlled, conformity is entrenched through the schools, elections bring little change, and presidents can rule for life.

Turkey’s Erdogan and July 15 coup

Like many autocratic leaders, Erdogan was quick to blame members of opposition and  sympathizers of Gulen Movement  for the coup attempt. He particularly singled out the United States-based Turkish cleric, Fethullah Gulen as the mastermind of the coup, even when it is on record that the highly-respected cleric publicly condemned the coup when it was still on.

İstanbul municipality tears down part of school in midnight operation

The İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality sent teams in the early hours of Tuesday morning to the private Fatih College in the Merter neighborhood to demolish the wall of the school as well as a security cabin in the school’s courtyard.

Turkish refugee in Spain: “If I go back to Turkey, I’ll be arrested and tortured”

Mustafa remembers with infinite gratitude the response of the Spanish officer: “You are welcome,” he said with a smile. Mustafa’s wife felt the knot in her stomach ease. She had been filled with doubts about the journey: “What if they don’t accept us? What if they send us to Turkey? Was it not better to stay in Bogotá?” Mustafa was nervous too, although he tried not to show it.

Why Fethullah Gulen will never support a coup?

I consider that it is very illogical and unsubstantiated to blame a personality and implicitly the followers of his teachings for an action that is a potential source of a lot of human deaths, destruction and chaos. A similar philosophy of respect and love for everything due to their real Source, the Creator, could be one of our vital prescriptions that is essential against all types and sources of ferocity which we unfortunately witness in the world today.

Opposition does not believe Gulen movement was behind the coup attempt

Dr. Kadir Akyuz of University of Bridgeport, CT, USA has carried out a poll to find out who the general public believe was behind the bloody coup attempt in July 2915. According to his results, opposition does not believe the Gulen movement but it was conspired by the “deadly combo” of Tayyip Erdogan and Dogu Perincek.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

After Fethullah Gülen’s demise what will happen to the Hizmet Movement

Being the conscience of a nation

UK acknowledges being a Gülen sympathizer in Turkey may be grounds for asylum

Russian scholar: Gülen promotes peaceful education for a world mired in conflict

Gülen Movement done nothing wrong, rather improved lives of the masses

Best robot design award for Turkish school students in NY competition

Philippine army awards Kimse Yok Mu for aid and contribution to peace

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News