İstanbul municipality tears down part of school in midnight operation

Turkish authorities destroy outer fence of the Fatih Koleji in Merter. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Selahattin Sevi)
Turkish authorities destroy outer fence of the Fatih Koleji in Merter. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Selahattin Sevi)


Date posted: October 8, 2014

The İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality sent teams in the early hours of Tuesday morning to the private Fatih College in the Merter neighborhood to demolish the wall of the school as well as a security cabin in the school’s courtyard.

The municipality, which is run by the governing Justice and Development Party (AK Party), had earlier decided to construct a road through the courtyard of the school, which is affiliated with the Hizmet movement — one of the largest faith-based communities in Turkey. The school has been in operation for 20 years.

Teams from the municipality arrived at the school at around midnight and rapidly demolished one of the walls surrounding the courtyard and the security cabin nearby. Sources said the municipality did not send any written warning to the school administration about its demolition plans beforehand. What was more unusual was that the demolition took place at midnight and on Eid — an official holiday in Turkey.

The demolition was protested by some 400 people, who rushed to the school upon hearing that municipality teams were tearing down part of Fatih College. The protesters were challenged by police teams.

In late August, Fatih College Director Salim Kaplan told the media that the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality wants to construct a road through the courtyard of the school. The college appealed the municipality decision at an administrative court, which has yet to announce its decision.

Before that, the Bolu Municipality closed down two schools belonging to businesspeople affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement in early July.

The closure of the two schools in Bolu followed similar incidents across Turkey. In early June, the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality stopped the construction of an educational complex on privately owned land on the pretext that the land was to be designated a green area and gathering spot in the event of an earthquake. The municipality failed to obtain the required approval from other authorities in the province to halt the construction of the education complex. They said that the complex belongs to Fetih Eğitim İşletmeleri (Fetih Educational Operations), which has close ties to the Hizmet movement.

All of these schools are close to the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has accused the Hizmet movement of being behind a massive corruption investigation. He claims that the investigation was an attempt to overthrow his AK Party government, although the prime minister has not been able to produce any evidence to justify his claims.

Mehmet Dikmen, general director of Fatih Öğretim İşletmeleri (Fatih Teaching Operations), said the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality had previously attempted to demolish parts of the school, but the attempts were foiled thanks to objections made by the school administration. Now that the municipality has this time managed to demolish the wall and security cabin of the school, the school administration is planning to sue the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality, according to Dikmen.

Dikmen also called on protesters to remain calm and follow legal procedures to seek their rights for the future of the school.

Lawyer Fikret Duran said he will file a suit against the municipality on Wednesday (today) and ask the municipality to recover the school’s financial loss due to the demolition.

Yusuf Karaç, the father of two students attending Fatih College, told the media that the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality is seeking to discredit the college in the eyes of the people by demolishing parts of it. “There is one thing they [municipal officials] cannot understand: We do not send our children to this school for the school’s courtyard or security cabin. We send our children to this school for the high level of education it offers. We send our children here because we trust the administration of this school. I will continue to send my children here even if the school does not have even one square meter of courtyard,” he stated.

Karaç also expressed his belief that more people will send their children to Hizmet-affiliated schools in protest of a growing hate campaign against Hizmet. “We believe justice will be done. We trust God’s justice,” he noted.

Engin Aman, a shopkeeper in Merter, described the municipality’s demolition of part of Fatih College as “brutal.” “This [demolition] happened on the third day of Eid [al-Adha]. This is brutal. This is cruel,” he said.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 7, 2014


Related News

Conceptual contradictions when it comes to rhetoric about ‘parallel state’

.In the wake of the Dec. 17 corruption operations that took place in Turkey, the government removed and changed such an extraordinarily high number of people from their positions in the police force, the justice system and the national education structure that these changes certainly would not have been possible in a state of law. An attempt was made to see these changes happen within the framework of heavy propaganda about the concept of the existence of a “parallel state.”

Turkish prosecutor demands detention of 21 women, leaving 10 infants unattended

Emrah Özge Yelken, the public prosecutor in Afyon’s Dinar district issued detention warrants for 21 women including mothers of newborn babies as well as elderly citizens, as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement on Friday.

Kimse Yok Mu flies back 210 Somali students

Kimse Yok Mu Foundation, active in 110 countries worldwide, has brought back its 210 Somali students who were on vacation in their country. The students studying at various high schools and universities across Turkey were happy to be back.

Turkey’s Judicial Purge Threatens the Rule of Law

But nothing in those proposed laws came close to undercutting Turkey’s justice system like the judicial purge does. If they want to be consistent, European leaders should insist on the reinstatement of the fired judges, or at least case-by-case adjudication of their alleged wrongdoing. The U.S. should make similar demands on its NATO ally. The future of the rule of law in Turkey lies in the balance.

Turkish Schools Discussed at Johns Hopkins University

In a conference at the Central Asia-Caucasus Institute (CACI) at the Johns Hopkins University, Turkish schools in Central Asia were closely analyzed. In a conference titled ‘Turkish way of Islam Educates Central Asians’, which Dr. Bayram Balci from the French Institute of Anatolian Studies in Istanbul attended as lecturer, the educational movement initiated by Fethullah […]

Exiled Turkish Leader Gulen Slams Erdogan for Coup Attempt in Report

A coup attempt in Turkey last July that killed more than 300 people was an “outrageous, heinous scenario constructed by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his accomplices,” Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen said this week.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Pulitzer Prize equals five years in prison in Turkey

Peace Islands Institute hosts iftar in NY

A Rabbi’s meeting with Hocaefendi Fethullah Gülen

Russian expert: Kimse Yok Mu is in no way a terrorist organization

Pro-gov’t journo says Gülen followers were abducted, illegally questioned by Turkey’s intelligence agency

Govt Brushes Of Claims Of Terrorism At Afghan-Turk Schools

Teaching Peace in Schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News