‘Removal of Gülen’s books from NT shelves offends the public’

Former Culture and Tourism Minister Ertuğrul Günay. (Photo: Cihan)
Former Culture and Tourism Minister Ertuğrul Günay. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: December 4, 2015

HASAN ÇİLİNGİR / IZMIR

Former Culture and Tourism Minister Ertuğrul Günay has condemned a recent decision made by the new trustees of Kaynak Holding to have all copies of books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen removed from the shelves of NT bookstores across the country, saying that the “indecent” act of censorship offends the public.

“This is an indecent act [of censorship]. Mr. Gülen’s books largely deal with issues related to religion. These books, which are widely read, are not dealing with political issues and there have been no complaints filed against them. Acts such as this are aimed at disturbing [the faith-based Gülen movement] and offend the public. I think what they [the trustees appointed by the government] did is inappropriate … It can’t be explained by reason, law, ethics, love or respect,” Günay told Today’s Zaman on Friday.

Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu, former president of the Association of Human Rights and Solidarity for Oppressed Peoples (MAZLUM-DER), criticized the decision made by the new trustees of Kaynak Holding, saying: “This censorship has no legal basis. It is derived from feelings of hatred, anger and revenge [against] one person [Gülen]. The removal of the books without any court order is shameful. I hope people somehow see this madness.”

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Akif Hamzeçebi also said he regarded the censorship as “primitive.”

The nationwide NT bookstore chain is one of 23 companies operating under the umbrella of Kaynak Holding, which also owns the country’s largest publisher, Kaynak Publishing House.

Gülen has written dozens of books in which he promotes ideals such as peaceful co-existence with others, inter-religious and intercultural dialogue, democratic values, altruism, deepening one’s religious values and the fight against extremism and radicalism.

Despite the clear stance he has taken against terrorism and the lack of even a single piece of related evidence, Gülen and the movement that he inspires, the faith-based Gülen (or Hizmet) movement, have been facing accusations of terrorism in Turkey over the past two years under the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government.

Accusations against the movement came after the revelation of a corruption probe in late 2013 in which Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s close circle was implicated. Erdoğan accuses the movement of masterminding the probe despite the movement denying this. Since then, individuals and organizations that are thought to be linked with the Gülen movement have been targeted by the witch hunt.

The appointment of trustees, who are responsible for the recent censorship of Gülen’s books, to Kaynak Holding is part of this witch hunt.

After the publication and sale of Gülen’s books, which are read and appreciated around the world in many languages, were banned by the government-appointed trustees in Kaynak Holding, it now is a matter for concern whether Kaynak Publishing House will be used to print books on political Islam and if Gülen’s books at NT bookstores will be replaced by ones that promote political Islam and extremism.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 04, 2015


Related News

Can the EU be blamed for Erdoğan’s authoritarianism?

It may be speculated that the EU’s resistance to Turkey’s European integration has to a certain extent played a role in Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s slide into authoritarianism. If the EU had consistently backed its accession process, Ankara may have consolidated democracy and rule of law, so that such a concentration of power could have been avoided.

Fethullah Gulen’s Message on New Defamation Efforts by Erdogan Regime

I also condemn President Erdogan’s reckless and immoral efforts to defame this peaceful movement that has dedicated itself to universal humanitarian values. I trust in the wisdom and fairness of world leaders to recognize this defamation campaign for what it is.

Turkey’s New Constitution Would End Its Democracy

In practice, a revised constitution would make it much easier for Erdogan to consolidate power entirely, taking Turkey out of the democratic column and making it into a dictatorship, pure and simple.

Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation To Contribute Radicalism, Exacerbate Muslim-Christian Tension In African Countries

Turkey’s President Erdoğan has aimed at replacing the positive contributions of the schools opened by the Gülen movement in Africa to preventing clashes in countries, where there is Christian-Muslim tension, with radical Islamist rhetoric and thus will create conflict rather than dialogue in African countries, stated a report recently released.

Gray domination’ and Turkey’s civil rights challenge

The Hizmet movement, the largest civil society group in Turkey, inspired by Fethullah Gülen, is active in around 150 countries. Hizmet is marked by outstanding schools, dialogue initiatives and relief organizations. Its greatest achievement, however, is the ability to remain independent at all times

Turkish consulate in Rotterdam seized passports of Gulen-supporters

The Turkish consulate in Rotterdam confiscated the Turkish passports of a number of Dutch-Turkish people believed to be affiliated with the Gulen movement. The people involved were told that they are now classified as a fugitive and were given a one-day passport to fly to Turkey and prove their innocence in front of a judge.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Police and inspectors raid Gülen-inspired schools in Çanakkale

Turkey’s permanent state of crisis

The responsibility of the Hizmet movement

Turkish cultural day in the Philippines

Bolu municipality builds road inside Hizmet affiliated Fatih College’s garden

Fethullah Gulen named the world’s No. 1 public intellectual

Columnist fired from pro-gov’t daily after critical comment over Soma

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News