Imprisoned Gülen followers subject to rape, nail extraction, object insertion: lawyers association


Date posted: October 17, 2016

People imprisoned as part of a government crackdown on the Gülen movement are being systematically tortured in the most barbaric ways including rape, removal of nails and the insertion of objects into their anuses, according to the president of a leading lawyers association.

Allegations of ill-treatment of Turkey’s post-coup prisoners are becoming more widespread; in addition to accounts from relatives of the victims, associations, corporate figures and parliamentarians are raising concerns over extreme types of torture across the country.

“They remove the nails of colleagues [during detention] at police stations. Believe me, I saw people who underwent a colectomy after they were tortured with objects inserted into their anuses in prison and police stations,” Selçuk Kozağaçlı, the president of the Progressive Lawyers’ Association (ÇHD), said during the Ankara Bar Association’s general assembly on Oct 16.

“Did you know that soldiers, civil servants, judges, prosecutors and ordinary citizens affiliated with the movement are being systematically tortured?” Kozağaçlı asked audience.

“They are now being raped in prisons. … Why don’t you stand up [for them]?” he asked, condemning the inertia of those who supported the movement in the past.

Claiming that he was prisoned by judges affiliated with the movement, Kozağaçlı said that despite that he is against any kind of torture.

He also said he found it worrisome that 18 people have committed suicide after being linked to the movement since July 15. The Turkish government accuses the Gülen movement of masterminding a July 15 coup attempt despite repeated denials from the movement.

Amnesty International stated on July 24 that it had collected credible evidence that detainees in Turkey are beaten, tortured and on some occasions raped in official and unofficial detention centers across the country.

Turkey has detained more than 72,000 people and arrested some 34,000 over alleged links to the Gülen movement to date. More than 100,000 people have been either sacked or suspended from state positions.

Turkey Purge has received many tips from relatives and friends of people who were tortured in prisons after the coup attempt.

Source: Turkey Purge , October 16, 2016


Related News

Turkish miner, Lonmin to explore for gold, silver in Ireland

The exploration will take place in Northern Ireland, the statement said. Koza had said in April it had established a wholly owned subsidiary in Britain to undertake mining activities abroad. This was an apparent move to compensate for losses the company has been suffering due to heavy government pressure at home.

BBC interviews families of abducted Gülen followers

The families of abducted Gülen followers, whose abductions have been confirmed by eyewitnesses, have spoken to BBC Turkish service. Eleven people have been reported missing in Ankara since January.

TUSİAD chairman says does not see ‘parallel structure’ within state

Turkish Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (TÜSİAD) Chairman Haluk Dinçer has said that he does not see any “parallel structure” within the state as is asserted by pro-government circles, adding that discharging some police officers on accusations of illegal wiretapping does not prove the existence of such a structure.

Erdogan plotted Turkey purge before coup, say Brussels spies

The European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government. Ankara is seeking Mr Gulen’s extradition from the US. The huge wave of arrests was already previously prepared.

Five pilots who bombed coup base on July 15 arrested over Gulen links

Five pilots who bombed the Akincilar Air Base in Ankara to halt the coup attempt on the night of July 15, 2016, were later arrested as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement.

Turkey’s largest religious publication group denied spot at Ramadan book fair

Turkey’s Directorate of Religious Affairs has refused to allocate an exhibit space at a Ramadan book fair to the country’s largest religious publication group over its affiliation with the Gülen movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen Statement Accepting the 2015 Gandhi King Ikeda Peace Award

Documents expose plot to hold Hizmet responsible for KPSS cheating

Current defamation campaign against Hizmet was part of Ergenekon scheme

Open Letter to the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA)

Abant Platform discusses thriving relations between Turkey and Africa

An AKP-neo-nationalist axis?

Turkish president approves closure of schools run by Erdogan rival

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News