Nigerian Federal Government ignores Turkey’s request to close Turkish schools

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu
The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu


Date posted: August 20, 2016

MISBAHU BASHIR

The relations between Nigeria and Turkey have been traditionally cordial, and bilateral trade has grown over the years between them. The annual trade volume between Turkey and Nigeria was $1.2 billion by second quarter of 2016, and this consists of clothing, food, engines and automobile parts, as well as pharmaceuticals. In return, Turkey imports sesame seeds, petroleum, raw and semi-processed leather and rubber from Nigeria.

According to a Turkish Hurriet Daily News newspaper report published in February 1999, Turkey and Nigeria signed a cultural agreement in 1976. Since then, a great number of Nigerians have studied and are studying at various Turkish universities either under a cultural exchange programme or as privately sponsored students.

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had said during his recent visit to Nigeria that, “Our total trade volume is currently at $1.145 billion. Our export is $314 million and our import is $831 million. As you can see, the result is to the favour of Nigeria.
“I believe that if the two countries combine forces, making use of our own respective resources, we would be able to come up with even better outcomes. As we speak, our business people are connecting with their Nigerian counterparts.”
But the recent failed coup in Turkey almost jeopardized the friendly ties between the two countries. The quagmire followed a request by the Turkish authorities to Nigeria for the closure of 17 Nigerian Turkish International Colleges (NITC).
The Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria, Hakan Cakil, told the vice chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Shehu Sani, that his government had requested the Nigerian government to shut down the colleges because they were allegedly linked to Fethullah Gulen, the US-based cleric who was blamed for the failed coup.
He further said the colleges were run by Gulen’s movement, a sect which was trying to overthrow the Turkish government as well as train terrorists.
Many Nigerians, especially parents whose wards either graduated or are schooling in the colleges, were outraged by the comment. The Nigerian government too, was taken aback after the allegation and request from Turkey.
The federal government, however, said the allegation was frivolous because it lacked legal merit.
The Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, told journalists in Abuja that the request by the Turkish government did not hold water because it appeared to be without evidence. He said the schools would remain open until there was substantial fact for government to take action upon.
Parents had to summon a media briefing a day after the statement by the Turkish government where they clarified their stand on the matter.
One of the parents, Barrister Ken Okaoha, said the ambassador hadn’t got knowledge and facts that could make his allegation about the colleges plausible, and urged the Nigerian authorities to throw out any call asking them to shut down the colleges.
He said the colleges, owned by the First Surat Group, alongside the Nizamiye Hospital and the Nigerian Turkish Nile University, have no link to the terror groups.
He said the colleges have over 5,000 Nigerian students and employed over 2,000 people, adding that they have developed better strategies for accomplishing their academic and moral goals.
Okaoha said parents, authorities and host communities haven’t come across any corroborative evidence in terror offences in the schools.
He said the colleges have offered scholarships to students and sent many of their graduates to universities and most of them have successfully completed their studies.
A former student of the colleges and law graduate from one of the affiliate universities in Turkey said he received excellent support services from Turkish teachers both in Nigeria and Turkey.
He said the allegation had not tarnished the image of the schools as centres of learning, and that both students and the alumni would ensure that the Turkish authorities renounced the charge.
The Turkish community in Nigeria have staged a street protest in Abuja against the coup.
On the issue of Turkish schools in Nigeria, the ambassador told the protesters that his government and the Nigerian government were talking to find a solution to the issue saying, “The government of Turkey will never do anything against the Nigerian people.”
The spokesman of the colleges, Mr. Cemal Yigit, said the allegation was a deliberate attempt by the Turkish government to smear the image of the colleges by linking them to the failed coup d’état plotters in Turkey.
He said the allegation was unacceptable and that he was not aware of any move by the Nigerian authorities to shut down the colleges.
“That is how they do the defamation campaign. It is so unfortunate that the smear attack is even reaching Nigeria,” Yigit said.
He said the schools have about 5,000 students and employed about 2,000 Nigerians.
He said so far, more than 1,200 schools and 15 universities were closed down in Turkey following the failed attempt by the military.
He said many foundations, associations and charities were also closed down.
Meanwhile, Mr. Gulen, who was accused of sponsoring the failed coup, recently issued a statement condemning the coup, saying he had no knowledge about it.
In spite of the outrage resulting from the ambassador’s statement over the schools, Turkish authorities have yet to provide evidence to their Nigerian counterparts over the allegations.

Source: Daily Trust , Aug 18, 2016


Related News

NTIC Student Bags Int’l Young Inventors Olympiads, Beats US, UK, Others

A student of the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges, Kaduna, has once again made Nigeria proud as he beat students from 35 other countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom to clinch a silver award at the International Young Inventors Olympiads (IYIPO).

Does Erdogan really want Gulen in Turkey?

General assumption is that Erdogan is indeed playing a cynical game with the Gulen issue, and also involving the United States in this, in a populist effort aimed at his own constituency in the lead-up to the presidential elections in August, where he is expected to run.

Plot against Gülen movement in tatters as suspects confess to false testimony

New testimony in a court case incriminating the faith-based Gülen movement indicates that police and prosecutors had pressured suspects to make false statements against the movement, revealing that the case was actually a plot developed by political authorities to taint the movement.

Fethullah Gulen talking about Turkey’s failed coup: Responses to Philadelphia World Affairs Council

Right now, all critical voices are silenced in Turkey and only the voice of those in power is heard. Consequently both Turkish people and outside observers are misled. The misperception about the coup continues because there is only one voice. The government interprets everything according to their calculations. They are using this event to express the antipathy they already had against Hizmet movement. The coup attempt is serving to justify their plans to persecute Hizmet movement.

Afghan minister says proud his children studied at Turkish schools

The Turkish schools were established by educational volunteers of the faith-based Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement and inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Erdoğan’s image in the West

Similar to what Erdogan did during the Gezi events, he is falsely accusing the Hizmet movement of being the puppet of these Western, Judeo-Christian enemies. His attempts to shut down YouTube and Twitter are telling enough for the democratic world.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Practicing Muslims and social (in)justice

AFSV Statement on Media and Business Crackdown

Who is Behind the Pennsylvania Protests?

Michael Flynn, President Trump’s first national security adviser, was paid to investigate Fethullah Gulen during election campaign

Former US envoys to Ankara say Erdoğan doing great harm to democracy

AKP Twitter troll asks gov’t to kill all Gülen sympathizers in jail

RTÜK suspends 20 SHaber TV shows, harshest penalty of all times

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News