RTÜK suspends 20 SHaber TV shows, harshest penalty of all times


Date posted: March 15, 2014

İSTANBUL

Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has suspended 20 TV shows of the Samanyolu Haber TV news channel, its Editor in Chief Metin Yıkar announced via his Twitter account on Saturday.

RTÜK has given the harshest penalty that it had not given to anybody else in its history,” Yıkar said.

The RTÜK penalty came days after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vowed to finish off the Hizmet Movement and its affiliates, including the Samanyolu Haber TV.

Erdoğan has portrayed the sweeping corruption scandal that broke on Dec. 17, 2013 and implicated close associates and even his own family as a Gülen movement plot to weaken his government ahead of critical local polls scheduled for March 30.

Gülen and his followers are at the center of Erdoğan’s accusations, although the prime minister has so far failed to present solid evidence to prove that the Hizmet movement is behind the Dec. 17 corruption probe.

In a related development, RTÜK members Öztunç and Süleyman Demirkan stated at a press conference that the RTÜK’s biased attitude toward TV channels prevents the Supreme Election Board (YSK) from reaching fair decisions on channels that may have violated the pre-election rules.

Recalling that the deputy head of the RTÜK’s Monitoring Department has ordered reports to be prepared on those TV channels that broadcast main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu’s speech at a parliamentary group meeting on Feb. 25, during which he played recordings allegedly featuring the voices of PM Erdoğan and his son, Bilal Erdoğan, to the YSK for violations of the pre-election rules, Öztunç said the reports had caused much debate in the RTÜK supreme board meeting.

“During the two-day debate, we explained that this [preparing reports on government-critical channels] is wrong, as it is indirect censorship. Freedom of the press is an inseparable part of democracy. If press freedom is absent, then we cannot talk about democracy. We urged the other members not to do this. But the five members of the board who were elected from AK Party quota were not persuaded on the issue,” said Öztunç.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 15, 2014


Related News

Gülen’s contribution to a pluralist democracy

The Hizmet movement, inspired by Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen, is a formidable actor in catalyzing change for a better Turkey and will remain so for the foreseeable future as a non-political force to be reckoned with.

The Hizmet movement and participatory democracy

The Hizmet movement’s objections make an important contribution to the formation of participatory democracy in Turkey. So far, Turkish democracy was a game among political parties in the absence of a strong civil society and market actors.

Censored by theft: Man caught stealing copies of Zaman daily

In the video footage, the young man is seen stealing three Zaman newspapers placed in the mail boxes of an apartment building. When asked by the subscriber who was filming why he was stealing the newspapers, the thief said his father was the AK Party’s Beylikdüzü provincial chairman and that his father had initiated the campaign against Zaman because it is defaming the party.

Sabotage: government-Gülen movement relations

We are facing a new situation that we are all trying to understand. First, the summoning of the undersecretary of the National Intelligence Organization (MİT), Hakan Fidan, and several other MİT administrators to testify as suspects has turned into an unprecedented and serious problem. Those waiting in the wings encouraged a debate that started as […]

Hate speech in politics and media

It is hard to understand the relentless efforts of Turkish politicians and media networks to create new objects of hate, in contrast with the global and local struggle against racism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism and similar approaches that pave the way for hate speech, hate crime and discrimination. Hate speech, mutually produced in the context of the developments following the Gezi Park protests in June, is concrete proof that we are making life in this world increasingly unbearable for one another.

17,000 women, 515 babies in Turkish prisons: SCF report

Thousands of women in Turkey, many with small children, have been jailed in an unprecedented crackdown and subjected to torture and ill-treatment in detention centers and prisons as part of the government’s systematic campaign of intimidation and persecution of critics and opponents, a new report has revealed.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Pro-gov’t columnist still threatening fellow journalists

Corruption or spies?

Code ‘111′ profiling of ‘Hizmet’ on Parliament’s agenda

Turkish schools key to success in Africa

Turkey seizes another baklava maker over coup charges, appoints deputy governor as caretaker

Terrorist organization seeks to fill void in Southeast after closure of prep schools

Turkey: Erdogan’s macabre dance in Africa

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News