Neither Erdoğan nor EU the same after five years


Date posted: January 20, 2014

MURAT YETKİN

Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdoğan is expected to leave Turkey on Jan. 20 for Brussels to have high level contact there with European Union officials.

This is going to be Erdoğan’s first visit to Brussels for EU contacts since January 2009. Then, Erdoğan had promised for more democratic reforms in Turkey and urged the EU not to block the accession of his country just because of the Greek Cypriot veto. Turkey would contribute to the EU strategically, not only because of being an exemplary democracy in the Islamic world, but also because of its access to all Middle East countries, better than most Europeans.

Indeed, Turkey was then not only talking to all countries in the region, from Israel to Iran, trying to develop relations with Armenia, having joint cabinet meetings with many neighbors from Greece to Iraq and Syria. Later that year, the new U.S. President Barack Obama would choose Turkey as the first stop in his first overseas trip; the country was a rising star.

Now, Erdoğan is going to Brussels as the prime minister of Turkey who doesn’t even have ambassadors in three of its region’s important capital; Cairo, Tel Aviv and Damascus. A negotiation chapter was opened in November 2013 after a three-year freeze. Erdoğan had to sack the former EU minister from the cabinet because of the allegations in relation with a major graft probe in December 2013 and appointed Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu to that post.

Çavuşoğlu had to face strong criticism by European politicians during his first visit to Strasbourg on Jan. 14, warning Erdoğan’s Justice and Development Party (AK Parti) government not to cover-up the corruption allegations and try not to block the courts that want to investigate them. Erdoğan refuted the criticisms and asked Turkey’s ambassadors abroad, in a yearly conference in Ankara last week that, they should tell the world the graft probe was not real, but a cover for a “coup attempt” against him by a “parallel” structure within the government apparatus, run by the sympathizers of a U.S.-resident moderate Islamist scholar Fethullah Gülen, once his closest ally.

There are European politicians who took the opportunity to call for an immediate freeze of negotiations with Turkey. It was Turkey’s main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu who wrote a letter to Martin Schulz, the President of the European Parliament last week and said the Erdoğan government should be forced to adopt EU standards more and that to cut EU links with Turkey would be a mistake and “would only strengthen the hands of those who would wish to steer Turkey away from its Euro-Atlantic moorings.”

Schulz is among the top EU officials who are going to meet Erdoğan in Brussels, along with Herman Van Rompuy, the President of the European Council and José Manuel Barroso, the President of the European Commission.

Turkey’s Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu called the EU on Jan. 19 and said Erdoğan was ready to discuss all issues, including the row over government-judiciary crisis, but the EU should be patient for some time more and stop discriminating against Turkey. This is rather a defensive position for a visit after a five-year interval. That’s why Eroğan’s patience while talking to EU officials is likely to play a more determinative role in the near future of Turkish-EU relations.

Source: Hurriyet Daily , January 20, 2014


Related News

UN slams Thailand, Myanmar over deportation of Turk

The United Nations expressed grave concern on Saturday over the deportation by Myanmar and Thailand of a Turkish national over alleged connections to a July 2016 coup attempt against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Muhammet is at least the sixth person to be deported from Southeast Asia over alleged connections to Gulen’s movement, the UN said.

Does Erdogan want to be Putin or sultan?

Commentators and interviewers on the television stations that remain open now make statements such as “The time of the Turkish Republic is over. We are now starting or have already started the second Ottoman period and Erdogan is the first Sultan.”

By Extraditing Anti-Erdogan Leader, Trump Would Betray American Values

Extraditing dissident Islamist cleric Fethullah Gulen to Turkey would be a betrayal of American values and should be permanently off the table. President Trump says that handing over Gulen to Turkey is not under consideration “at this point.” But that’s not good enough.

Shocking change and disappointed hearts…

Since Dec. 17, Erdoğan’s discourse has become more and more strict and a major smear campaign has been initiated by the pro-government media against the Hizmet movement, which has been active in education activities all around the world. The Hizmet movement and the followers of Hizmet have never been affiliated with violence or any other crime-related issues. This was proven as a result of a judicial process.

The Alliance for Shared Values Statement on Ankara Attacks

The Alliance for Shared Values deplores the bombing attacks perpetrated against peaceful protesters today in Ankara. We are deeply saddened by the increasing number of losses and injuries and offer our condolences to the families and friends of the victims. It is now more important than ever that we do not fall prey to the pernicious intentions behind these attacks.

Nigeria: Hizmet Movement not terrorists

The Concerned African Youth against Tyranny (CAYAT) has denied report that the Fethullah Gulen Movement and Hizmet Movement are terrorist groups. National Coordinator of the organisation, Mr. Musa Shaba said yesterday in Abuja that contrary to claims by the Turkish government the movement has become the face of Turkey in Nigeria and Africa.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

The Dutch Turkish community must speak out about the anti-Gülen violence

Ramadan joy in 110 countries on 5 continents

Kimse Yok Mu affiliate Time to Help volunteers back in Belgium from Africa

Erdoğan has to respect civil society

Zeki Saritoprak speaks on Gulen Movement at Chautauqua Institution

Ankara’s soft-power dilemma

Turkey wants India to crack down on ‘Gulen’ schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News