Minister Çelik supports Gülen’s call for Alevi-Sunni brotherhood

Labor and Social Security Minister Faruk Çelik
Labor and Social Security Minister Faruk Çelik


Date posted: July 5, 2013

Labor and Social Security Minister Faruk Çelik has supported the call “Let the mosque and the cemevi be side by side,” by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

During an interview with Cihan news agency said that he knows well how Gülen thinks of the Alevi issue in Turkey, “I know Gülen is in a struggle for taking precautions beforehand, by telling the possible problems that may occur in the future,” Minister Çelik stated. He continued his remarks backing Gülen’s call for Alevi-Sunni brotherhood as such: “Imagine a place where everyone is at peace. All different religious sects have found a place for themselves. That is why I found (Gülen’s call) extremely applicable. Are not we all Muslims? Yes, we are. So, I believe that it is (that being the mosque and cemevi side-by-side) something desired and longed for.”

Minister Faruk Çelik also said that they started the Alevi workshops with sincere intentions, and completed the process with a 7-8- month workshop. “First of all, everyone (Alevi or Sunni) needs to get rid of biases. The communication channels or dialogue channels should be also varied,” he indicated.

“I have received very important letters from Gülen during that time,” Çelik added, saying his advice related to the issue really intends to prevent more troubles.

In response to a question in connection with the naming İstanbul’s third bridge after the Ottoman Sultan, Yavuz Sultan Selim, who is held responsible by Alevis for the deaths of tens of thousands of Alevis in the early 16th century, Çelik said, “I can tell you very clearly that there is no malicious intention. Yavuz Sultan Selim has an important role in our history. Bringing 500-years-incidents back today would be a wrong approach.”

Source: [in Turkish] Cihan, 03 July, 2013. English translation is retrieved from HizmetMovement.Com


Related News

Gov’t criticized for forcing scientific researcher to alter report

Claims by the former head of a scientific research agency who was dismissed a day after his public remarks that he was forced to make changes to a report that was part of an investigation into bugging devices found at the prime minister’s office have triggered a harsh reaction against the government.

Test of Turkish society

Over the past 11 years, Turkey has been undergoing an important transformation. While it seems to defend secular and modern-looking Western lifestyles, it is trying to come out of the tangle of Kemalism, which is a regime disregarding democratic values of the West. Even if Kemalism had at first dreamed of establishing a real Western democracy, it was later defiled and turned into a hegemony of the elite.

25 World Rights Groups Demand Turkey Scrap Emergency Rule

At least 25 leading international rights groups in various fields, human rights and media, have called for an end to certain measures of emergency rule in Turkey, warning against gross human rights violations and endangering the basic tenets of democracy and the rule of law.

Financial Times publishes Fethullah Gulen’s Op-Ed

Financial Times published an op-ed by the Turkish Muslim scholar and writer Fethullah Gulen*. His article is titled “Violence is not in the tradition of the Prophet” Gulen says “Muslims pray each day: “O Lord! Keep us on the straight path.” It is a prayer to help us move away from the extremes and maintain […]

Turkish deputy PM says Fethullah Gülen is supra-political, conscience of 75 million people in Turkey

In an interview with TRT Türk TV channel on Wednesday, Arınç described Gülen as “supra-politics,” and said he is the “conscience of 75 million people” in Turkey. He praised Gülen for only talking truth and recommending right things, even to the opposition. Bülent Arınç met with Gülen last week in his residence in Pennsylvania in a visit he described as “personal.”

The era of dialogue will never be over

I saw, once again, what it means to be “stuck in time.” Breivik looks only to the past and disregards the potential for the human will to create change. He claims, in opposition to Gülen, that the time for dialogue is over. “We gave peace a chance. The time for armed resistance has come,” he declares.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Police detain student over fingerprints on Gülen books

Standing by the Education Rights of Schoolgirls

Gülen-linked teachers, businessman detained in Afghanistan

Chestnut Retreat Center offers a look inside their Saylorsburg facility and its mission

Romanian-Turkish Schools gear up for flood survivors

‘The World is one family’: Students from around the world extend peace message at international culture festival

This man stood up to Trump. In Turkey he was branded a terrorist

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News