Man gets prison sentence, fine after attack on Gülen-linked institutions in France


Date posted: September 11, 2016

A 28-year-old man of Turkish origin has been handed down a prison sentence of eight months and a fine of 23,000 euros by a French court after he attacked several institutions affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement in the country.

The Turkish government blames Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and his supporters for a failed coup on July 15, a charge denied by Gülen.

The man identified only by his initial as M.Y. was arrested on Aug.3 by the French police after he attacked the Gülen-affiliated Horizon Culture Center in northeastern France with a hammer in his hand.

M.Y. was kept under pre-trial detention until Sept. 9 when he appeared in a court.

M.Y. admitted to have taken part in six other attacks against Gülen-affiliated education and culture centers in France.

When the judge asked M.Y. why he was involved in violence against these institutions, he said several people came to a mosque linked to the Turkish–Islamic Union for Religious Affairs, usually referred to as DİTİB, and threatened him there.

In return, the judge asked why he attacked the education centers if some people had threatened him.

The court decided to hand down a prison sentence of eight months to M.Y. He will spend the first four months in prison while he will be released on probation for the second four months. M.Y. will be kept behind bars for three months because he already served the first month since his detention on Aug.3.

M.Y. also received a fine of 23,000 euros as a compensation for the material damage he caused at the education and culture centers. M.Y. has also been banned from approaching the surroundings of the education and culture centers for a period of two years.

In a similar development in France, another man of Turkish origin, identified by his initials as O.K., has been briefly detained for making a death threat to a member of the education center in Mulhouse, identified by his initials as M.K.

O.K. reportedly sent a text message to M.K. which allegedly said: “Those who kill you will be awarded both by the state and God.”

O.K. denied having sent the text message to M.K. and claimed that somebody else took her mobile phone away while he was sitting at a cafeteria and sent the message without his knowledge.

O.K. has been released pending trial after he spent three days in jail. He will appear before a court on Dec. 8.

Recently, two men of Turkish origin have also been detained in Netherlands on suspicion of death threats and hate speech made against Erdoğan critics in the Netherlands.

In a statement last Monday Dutch police said they had investigated 150 complaints related to the aftermath of Turkey’s coup since mid-July, roughly half of them for threats and intimidation appearing on social media.

Turkey’s post-coup fallout has spilled over into Turkish immigrant neighborhoods in Europe with lists of purported Gülen supporters circulating on social media, exposing families and schoolchildren to death threats.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 10, 2016


Related News

Alienating Turkey

Pro-government media outlets publish reports and news stories that are dark propaganda. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and leading party figures make unfounded accusations directed at the Hizmet movement at every opportunity. In Turkey, when people want to hide something and divert attention, they create a virtual agenda and you are asked to follow the distortionist.

Plot against Gülen movement put into action based on lies, false confessions

An alleged secret plot against members of the faith-based Gülen movement — inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, which became public last year, is being put into action step by step based on questionable testimonies obtained from secret witnesses, informants and anonymous complainants leading to criminal prosecutions apparently orchestrated by political authorities.

Strategic defamation by Stratfor

Abdulhamit Bilici, March 18, 2012 (originally published on September 2, 2010) A few weeks ago, an American researcher by the name of Reva Bhalla came to visit us upon a reference from a good friend of ours. He told us that he was researching political inclinations in Turkey on behalf of the Stratfor intelligence firm. […]

TUSKON: Media raids discourage foreign investors

Foreign investors will not come to a country where the media faces intense pressure, Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) President Rızanur Meral said, speaking in front of the Zaman daily offices in İstanbul on Tuesday.

WSJ, Judiciary, Gulen Movement, and the Government

The news I read in the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) took me by great surprise. Supposedly, (former Gen. Staff) Ilker Basbug’s imprisonment for life was a message from the Gulen Movement to Erdogan, saying, “Beware! You cannot seek resolution on the Kurdish issue without our permission.” The claim that there was an organizational grouping of members of […]

Theologians: Lies, slander and defamation is unislamic

Islamic theologians coming together in a workshop organized by the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) have condemned recent allegations directed at the faith-based Hizmet movement by top government officials, stating that it is unislamic to engage in lies, slander and defamation.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

The cleric, the coup and the conspiracy

Tanzania dismisses Turkish gov’t allegations concerning Feza schools, asks for proof

Fethullah Gulen issued messages of condolence for victims of the ISIS attacks in Iraq and Bangladesh

Love and Tolerance Conference, Abuja

Police raid Gülen-inspired schools in Adana despite ministry regulation

Erdoğan gov’t signals change to allow re-trial of officers

Vocational training center for the women in Albany

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News