Kosovo PM to Turkey’s Erdogan: ‘We Mind Our Own Affairs’


Date posted: April 3, 2018

Leonat Shehu

Kosovo’s prime minister on Monday pushed back against threats made by Turkey’s president over a probe into the arrest and deportation of six Turkish citizens with ties to schools linked to the Fethullah Gulen movement, which Ankara blames for a failed 2016 coup.

It was on Saturday when Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Kosovo Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj would “pay” for dismissing his interior minister and intelligence chief for deporting the six from Kosovo without his permission.

“Since when have you started to defend those who attempted a coup against Turkey?” Erdogan asked, noting Turkey was the second country in the world to recognize Kosovo after the United States. “How can you [defend] these people who attempted a coup against Kosovo’s brother country — Turkey? You will answer for this!”

Haradinaj, who said he was not informed about the operation, fired the two officials after a brief investigation “of all [state] structures that were involved” in the arrests, arguing that the deportations constituted a “violation of the decisionmaking hierarchy.”

On Monday, while addressing an event marking the 550th anniversary of the death of the Albanian national hero, George Kastrioti — who for 25 years fought against the Ottoman invasion — Haradinaj rejected Erdogan’s demands.

“Kosovo and I have not intervened in Turkey’s internal affairs, either in the past or today or in the future,” he said. “Meanwhile, other people cannot on behalf of Kosovo take care of our own affairs at home. Let this be known to all.”

Screenshot from Vocal Europe news. Click the image to read it.

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci last week said he was “disillusioned how [Kosovo’s] relevant institutions” had failed to protect foreign citizens working in Kosovo, adding that he, too, had learned about it only after the arrest.

Kosovo’s foreign ministry strongly denounced the action, saying that “the arrest and deportation of the Turkish citizens with a regular residence permit is in direct contradiction to international norms.”

Turkey has been a principal backer of Kosovo, which declared independence in 2008. Turkish firms run the tiny Balkan country’s sole airport and electricity network and are building two highways worth around $2 billion.

Ankara accuses Gulen, a Muslim cleric based in the United States, of masterminding a July 15, 2016, coup attempt and has declared his movement a terrorist operation. Gulen denies any link to the attempted coup.

 

Source: Voice of America , April 2, 2018


Related News

‘Everybody reads about Prophet Muhammad’

Anyone who wants to know and understand Prophet Muhammad from trustworthy sources can sign up for the project on the website www.herkesonuokuyor.com, and that the project offers examinations in three categories: middle school level, high school level and adult level. Middle school students will be tested from the book “Efendiler Efendisi Hz. Muhammed” by Rahime Kaya, while high school students will answer questions related to Reşit Haylamaz’s “Efendimiz” and adults will take an exam from “Sonsuz Nur” by M. Fethullah Gülen, Kuzu explained.

Fear and paranoia still stalk Turkey two months after the failed coup

The official government narrative is everywhere, from the Twitter accounts to the dominance of the state-affiliated and pro-government press and TV in the wake of media crackdowns. The same words and phrases have been repeated endlessly by the AKP and their supporters until they become almost meaningless – Get Gülen. Gülen. Gülen. We are democracy. Democracy. Democracy. That is how it is, and there is no room to consider anything else.

Erdogan’s Hate Speech against the Gulen Movement

This video is the hate speech uttered by Turkey’s president Tayyip Erdogan agains the Gulen Movement. Video is compilation from Mr. Erdogan’s public speeches and election rallies.

Monitoring group documents 53 suspicious deaths since coup attempt

The Sweden-based monitoring group documented in a recent report 53 cases of what it described suspicious deaths both in and outside of Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.

One year after attempted coup, purges have left hundreds of Turkish academics imprisoned

After the attempted coup, college professors have been hit especially hard, thanks to Gülen’s popularity inside Turkish higher education. Turks were encouraged to report Gülen’s followers to the government. Universities have been ordered to establish 7-8 member committees looking into anti-government activities of the faculty and administration.

Georgia revokes decision to freeze Gulen-linked university’s student intake

The Georgian regulatory body for quality in education on Saturday revoked a controversial decision to bar a Tbilisi university from accepting new students for a period of one year.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turks in US Ditto: Dialogue

Turkish Cultural Center Brooklyn Honors Borough’s Elected Officials

The 26th meeting of “Covering Turkey:” the past, present and future of prep schools

Turkey coup and Fethullah Gülen: Why blame a progressive Islamic modernist?

British Lords introduced to Fethullah Gülen’s concepts

Fethullah Gulen Issues Strong Condemnation of ISIS

Kurdish Issue Discussed in New York

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News