Monitoring group documents 53 suspicious deaths since coup attempt


Date posted: March 23, 2017

The deaths of 53 individuals who allegedly committed suicide either after being imprisoned, released or due to fear of being taken into custody over perceived links to the July 15 coup attempt should be considered suspicious until a thorough probe is carried out for each case, the Stockholm Freedom Center (SCF) said.

The Sweden-based monitoring group documented in a recent report 53 cases of what it described suspicious deaths both in and outside of Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.

SCF said 22 people were killed while under custody, 5 in police custody and the remaining 26 individuals suspected of having ties to the alleged coup plotters died outside.

The government accuses the Gülen or Hizmet movement of organizing the coup attempt on July 15.

“The Stockholm Center for Freedom observed that relatives of victims were reluctant to provide information about investigating suspicious deaths because they were concerned that they would face punishment and similar problems if authorities became aware of that,” the report read.

“Because of the fact that autopsy reports and investigation files were kept confidential, the information about suspicious deaths had to be obtained mainly from open sources. The government blocks access to information, suppresses the coverage of and does not share documents about these deaths with the public.”

The National Police Department warned all its personnel to obey international rules of detention and to stop using unofficial detention centers days before a delegation from the Committee for the Prevention of Torture (CPT) was to pay a visit to Turkey in order to ascertain if people in custody are subject to any maltreatment in late August, 2016, according to an anonymous tip received by Turkey Purge.

Torture practices ranging from exposure to icy water to rape

SCF said it suspects the officials at official and unofficial detention centers employ torture practices as claimed by some of the statements and criminal complaints made by defendants and their family members.

“These practices range from verbal abuse and threats to physical violence that includes beatings, rape, exposure to icy water, strappado, sleep deprivation, denial of food and water, limiting access to fresh air, restricting exercise and forced alcohol and drug consumption,” the report read.

Source: Turkey Purge , March 21, 2017


Related News

HRW to Turkey: Investigate Ankara abductions, disappearances

There are credible grounds to believe that government agents forcibly disappeared the missing men. The Turkish authorities should promptly uphold their obligation to locate the missing men, who may be in grave danger, secure their release and if they are in custody give them immediate access to a lawyer, and let their families know where they are.

Fethullah Gulen Acquitted

The Turkish Supreme Court of Appeals has rejected the Chief Prosecutor’s Office’s objection to the acquittal of scholar Fethullah Gulen, which was upheld by the appeals court in early March. Gulen had been charged with “establishing an illegal organization”. The objection was soundly defeated by a 16 to 7 vote. Fethullah Gulen’s acquittal has been […]

Parallel state hunt makes McCarthyism look like child’s play

For the last year not a single day has passed without hearing these infamous words: parallel state. These were present in almost every speech made by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. They have been in the headlines everyday in every single newspaper close to the government.

Religious communities under threat in Turkey

These operations might have targeted the government in some respects, but so far no concrete evidence has been produced about deliberate, systematic and willful inclusion of the Hizmet movement in this plot. It is true that the Hizmet movement’s media group has been lending support to the graft and bribery investigation.

Is Hizmet being subjected to genocide?

Indeed, the word genocide brings to our minds mass killings and relocations of members of a race, usually under war-like conditions. Yet, genocide is not a war crime. It is not a type of crime committed against a specific race. Rather, it has wider connotations. This crime may be committed against a specific group, without massacring them and in a peaceful setting.

Almost 1,000 officers removed from post in İzmir, Ankara

Around 700 police officers, including four deputy chiefs and 70 high-ranking officials, were removed from their posts at the İzmir Police Department and reassigned to different positions on Thursday morning and removals continued later in the afternoon with 207 more officers

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Study Reveals Horrible Pattern Of Hate Speech By Erdoğan, The Chief Hatemonger In Turkey

Aid organization head blasts terror probe

Rumi Fellowship Program 2016

PM threatens business, media and civic groups amid corruption woes

HIzmet centre takes on Erdogan regime

Turkey’s Plans to Abolish Private Tutoring Centers Arrests Free Enterprise and Democracy

Dialog High School wins top prize

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News