Kimse Yok Mu to donate $1 million to typhoon victims in Philippines

(Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)
(Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)


Date posted: November 13, 2013

Turkish humanitarian aid association Kimse Yok Mu has announced that it will donate $1 million to the victims of the typhoon-hit Philippines from its emergency funds.

İsmail Cingöz, president of Kimse Yok Mu, told Today’s Zaman on Wednesday: “Our search and rescue team ASYA is in the disaster zone. Our team is working in harmony with aid workers from the UN, the Red Crescent, the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate [AFAD], the Turkish Cooperation and Development Agency [TİKA] and local officials. We have so far distributed 25 tons of supplies, having made our initial examination of the disaster site. We have now decided to make another $1 million emergency donation.” He said that thanks to the support and donations of the Turkish nation, Kimse Yok Mu will continue to give donations. “We are also working hard to recruit more volunteers for our ASYA team. It is a human duty to extend a helping hand to a nation in a difficult situation. I am calling on everybody to be aware of this disaster.”

The death toll in the Philippines is believed to have exceeded 10,000. The typhoon, with winds raging at 275 kilometers an hour, has left behind scenes one would expect to see in the apocalypse, according to Kimse Yok Mu volunteers.

ASYA team leader İsmail Büyükay, who is currently in the disaster zone, told Today’s Zaman: “The situation is just heartbreaking. There are body bags along the roads. There are looters everywhere. People are foraging through mud and slime to find food. We are one of the few aid groups continuing with relief efforts. We have passed out about 25 tons of supplies, but this is not nearly enough.” Büyükay said food, water, medicine, hygiene products and tents are on the priority list.

Today’s Zaman reporter Mehmet Yaman, who is the Philippine city of Tacloban, said the airport is still open to military cargo planes and helicopters but lies in ruins. He also reported seeing many body bags lined up next to each other on both sides of the roads. “The city smells of dead bodies. Churches and many homes serve as body storage spaces. The flow of international aid isn’t enough to change the current situation,” he said.

The city of Tacloban, population 220,000, is the capital of the Philippine province of Leyte. It is one of the hardest-hit areas in the country. Hunger and a lack of drinking water are already serious problems. Looting is rampant and military and other security units are finding it hard to keep order. The security problem is also slowing down aid efforts, volunteers in the area say.

According to UN data, more than 11 million have been affected by Typhoon Haiyan, and 673,000 people have been left homeless.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 13, 2013


Related News

UN demands access to 3 Turks forcibly returned from Malaysia

The United Nations Human Rights Committee has urged Turkey to confirm the whereabouts of three Turkish nationals who were detained in Malaysia at Ankara’s request due to their ties to the faith-based Gülen movement, a statement by the Brussels-based Intercultural Dialogue Platform said.

Tajik president urges Turkish firms to make mining investments

TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL Tajik President Emomali Rahmon called on Turkish businessmen on Monday to take advantage of Tajikistan’s rich mining resources and to increase economic relations between the two countries. Speaking to participants at the Tajik-Turkish Business Forum organized by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) in Konya, Rahmon said his country’s economic […]

Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan Reject Turkish Calls to Close Gülen Schools

Kazakh authorities said the Gülen schools would remain open. In a statement, the Education Ministry said “These schools (27) will be working as they used to.” The schools were established through a bilateral deal signed by Kazakh president Nursultan Nazarbayev and then-Turkish President Turgut Özal shortly after independence, according to Akipress. Both Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan are remaining firm that they will not bend to Ankara’s will on this issue.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) criticizes Cabinet ruling on Kimse Yok Mu

Human Rights Watch (HRW) criticized the cabinet ruling that cut the Kimse Yok Mu aid organization’s ability to collect donation without state approval.

Cabinet ruling against non-profit charity Kimse Yok Mu condemned

The cabinet ruling revoking Kimse Yok Mu’s status to receive donations without state approval continues to draw widespread condemnation.

Turkey’s president is using the failed coup as an excuse to snuff out secular democracy

In the immediate aftermath of the Turkish military’s attempted coup on July 15, the international community responded with relief. While many people within Turkey and outside of it are no fans of Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s authoritarian regime, the bloodshed and chaos that would have resulted from a government overthrow seemed like the worse of two options.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Netherlands poised to cancel status of Islamic university over rector’s discriminatory remarks

Zaman launches satirical magazine, defying pressure with humor

Bank Asya sells stakes in 2 subsidiaries

Gov’t keeps purging, dozens of police officials across Turkey have been removed

Freedom award recipient Bartholomew praises Gülen’s peace efforts

The Muslim Cleric Who Fell in Love With Democracy

Democracy tree grows in Abant as Turks and Kurds bond

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News