Gov’t keeps purging, dozens of police officials across Turkey have been removed


Date posted: February 4, 2014

İSTANBUL

The government’s massive purge of members of the police and judiciary following the eruption of a corruption and bribery scandal continued across the country on Tuesday, with dozens more police officials being removed from their posts.

The purges are believed to be based on profiling of those who are said to be part of the Hizmet (Service) movement.

All the deputy chiefs at the Diyarbakır Police Department were removed from their post in the latest round of dismissals during an ongoing graft probe on Tuesday. They have been replaced by officials from the police school. Many officers at the police department have been appointed to positions at outposts. The officials that were removed from their jobs have all been appointed to less important posts.

The deputy chief at the anti-terrorism unit of Diyarbakır Provincial Police Department, Ali Gaffar Okan, has been reassigned to a new post as a teacher at the police school. The dismissals at the department are expected to continue in the coming days.

The Eskişehir Police Department also saw dismissals on Tuesday in which four police chiefs, four deputy chiefs and three chief commissioners were removed from their posts, raising the total number of dismissals in the province to 16.

They have been reassigned to different posts. Two chief commissioners at the anti-smuggling and organized crime unit have also been reappointed to the district police department.

The dismissals are reportedly taking place at the order of new Interior Minister Efkan Ala, who was appointed to his position in a Cabinet reshuffle after the corruption investigation broke, replacing former Interior Minister Muammer Güler, whose son was detained on Dec. 17 in the first round of the investigation. Media reports note that the officials who were removed from their duty were ones who conducted major operations against corruption and bribery.

The dismissals of thousands of police officers have also extended to the Prime Ministry, with 23 security officers being removed from their jobs.

Twenty-three security guards at the Prime Ministry were removed from their posts on Tuesday. The dismissals came after an inspection board completed a report regarding the discovery of a listening device in the office of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The report had been sent to the prosecutor’s office and the file was taken over by the related unit at Deputy Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office due to suspicions about spying.

There are reportedly security guards responsible for protecting the prime minister as well as those working at the security camera control center among the dismissed.

The provincial gendarmerie commander who intercepted three Syria-bound trucks on suspicion of transporting arms in Adana province at the order of a prosecutor also has been removed from his duty and reassigned to a less significant position at the Ankara Gendarmerie Schools Command.

The trucks, which officials said belonged to the National Intelligence Organization (MİT), were searched by security officials. The prosecutor recorded the contents of the truck, but pressure from government officials prevented him from filing criminal charges, according to reports.

Around 6,000 police officers as well as about 130 prosecutors have been removed from their duties and reassigned to other posts in total since the corruption investigation became public on Dec. 17.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 4, 2014


Related News

Will Gülen Movement schools offer Kurdish-medium education?

Journalists and Writers Foundation Vice-President Cemal Ussak, regarding the Kurdish-medium education at the Gülen community schools in southeastern Turkey, said “It is a matter of course following the amendment to the current regulation.” Vice-president of Journalists and Writers Foundation, regarded as the institutional face of Gülen Movement, Cemal Ussak brought to minds the fact that the movement’s […]

Gülen, a man of peace, not behind attempted coup in Turkey

Despite Gülen’s repeated denials of any involvement and his open call for an investigation by an international commission, no concrete effort has been made to find out the true perpetrators of the heinous attempt. Instead, a state of emergency, which still continues today, was declared and is used to silence the opposition and all other critical voices.

Prof. Scott Alexander: Hizmet is a social movement for peace

“What I have personally observed is that Hizmet is a movement that embraces contrasts and in which everyone can find a place for themselves. It’s a globally transformational movement. It is, on the other hand, able to combine tradition and modernity and bring them around the common values. Although I might not be necessarily exercising your values, I consider myself a part of this movement. The principles that lead the movement are what lead my life as well.” Alexander remarked.

A Case Study In How Lobbyists For Turkish Government Manipulate The American Media on Gulen Issue

Turkish news outlets lit up this weekend after a former Republican lawmaker published an op-ed at The Hill calling on the U.S. government to extradite Fethullah Gulen, an exiled Muslim cleric whose return to Turkey is an obsession for the NATO nation’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Fethullah Gulen: Turkish Scholar, Cleric — And Conspirator?

Al-Jazeera America reporter Jamie Tarabay interviewed Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen in his home last spring. It was published in The Atlantic last August. Gulen is a Turkish spiritual leader to millions of Turks, both in Turkey and around the world, and the head of the Gulen movement. His network of followers spans the globe, and it has opened academically-focused schools in 90 countries, including the U.S.

Pro-Erdoğan troll calls on gov’t to execute Gülen followers

Amid assassination concerns following the suspicious deaths of two people who allegedly fell from the balcony of their homes, a pro-Erdoğan Twitter troll named Ahmet Üstün (@ustunn_ahmet) on Friday called on the government to assassinate Gülen movement sympathizers in the country and abroad.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Blinded by envious rivalry

Bank Asya’s corporate governance rating increases

Nearly 2,500 turn up for International Language and Culture Festival in Thailand

Unaffected by tension, TUSKON promotes Turkish economy

Monday Talk with Michael Rubin on Trump, Iran and Turkey

Gülen urges patience over prep schools row

The UN High-Level Reception Highlights the Role of Public-Private Partnerships

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News