Kimse Yok Mu purchases houses for 11 Soma families


Date posted: July 21, 2014

MUSTAFA KUŞEN / MANISA

The Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) has financed the purchase of houses for the families of 11 miners who were among 301 killed in a mining disaster in the district of Soma in western Manisa province in May.

On May 13 Turkey was shocked by an explosion and fire at a coal mine that killed 301 workers and injured scores of others. A fire that started in the mine rapidly depleted oxygen in the shaft, causing the deaths of the miners from carbon monoxide poisoning. The cause of the fire is not yet clear. The incident was the worst mining disaster in the history of the Turkish Republic.

Kimse Yok Mu, which immediately launched efforts to extend a helping hand to the survivors of the tragedy and the families of the victims, has purchased six houses in the center of Soma, three in İzmir’s Kınık district and two in Balıkesir’s district of Savaştepe.

The charity also furnished the houses, spending TL 6,000 on each.

The head of Kimse Yok Mu’s Manisa branch, Abdurrahman Avınç, told Today’s Zaman that families of the miners have already moved into their new houses.

He said the charity would soon deliver two sofas to 30 miners’ families.

Noting that the organization has stepped up its aid efforts during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Avınç said 2,500 food packages have been delivered to families in need in Manisa and its districts during the month.

“We did not forget Soma, either. We delivered 200 food packages to the families in need there,” he said, adding that Kimse Yok Mu is doing its best to take various kinds of aid to families affected by the mine disaster in Soma.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 20, 2014


Related News

Gov’t lifts confidentiality of MGK docs for publishing in partisan press

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government, which accused the Taraf daily of being a “traitor” for publishing secret state documents last month that include a covert plot against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the profiling of citizens, has lifted the confidentiality of some National Security Council (MGK) documents to be released by its partisan media outlets.

Hrant Topakiyan’s feelings about the Journalists and Writers Foundation

Hrant Topakiyan, Kentim Gazette, April 5, 2010 Journalists and Writers Foundation = Love For many years I have attended the love-filled Ramadan iftar dinners arranged by the Journalists and Writers Foundation. My Lord allowed me to meet very valuable people at these dinners. Since it is impossible to write all their names in this column, […]

GYV president Usak passes away in exile

A renowned intellectual, journalist and president of the Journalists’ and Writers’ Foundation (GYV) Cemal Usak, who was among the targets of the Turkish government’s ongoing crackdown on the faith based Gulen movement, has passed away at the age of 63 while in exile. Usak had been receiving cancer treatment for the past several years. Reportedly, he was told he would die in prison if he comes to Turkey.

It’s clear that deportation of three Turks is to please Turkey’s president

If the three Turks are supporters of Gulen, then there is no case for Malaysia. Gulen is not a terrorist but merely a powerful thorn on the side of the Turkish dictator Tayyip Erdogan. Just because the three opposed the government of Erdogan was not sufficient reason for Malaysia to arrest and deport them. Malaysia is merely doing the “dirty” job for Erdogan.

Mosque-cemevi project halted due to government’s ‘parallel paranoia’

Turkey’s first-ever complex housing both a mosque and a cemevi, an Alevi house of worship, has become the latest victim in the battle launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against the Gülen movement after the Mamak Municipality refused to grant a certificate of occupancy to the complex on the grounds that it was built with “parallel funds.”

Will Turkey’s assassinations reach America?

There is no longer any doubt that Turkey conducts operations in the United States against Turks and Kurds with whom Erdogan disagrees. That problem will likely get worse as Erdogan digs in his heels and demands the extradition of exiled cleric Fethullah Gülen. While Turkish officials have turned over reams of papers detailing why Turkey believes Gülen is a malign influence, none of the evidence Turkey has provided actually implicates Gülen in the events of July 15.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

8 detained in police raids on İzmir schools as Erdoğan’s witch hunt continues

Former CHP Chairman Baykal supports joint mosque-cemevi project

Is Former Chief of General Staff Özkök a Closet Gülenist

Russian envoy’s murderer attended sermons of controversial pro-Erdoğan cleric

Arbil closer to İstanbul than Baghdad

Turkey’s once-worldly aims falter, even close allies concerned

Conference on “Hunger in the world and searching for ways to solve it”

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News