Gov’t lifts confidentiality of MGK docs for publishing in partisan press


Date posted: December 23, 2013

İSTANBUL

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government, which accused the Taraf daily of being a “traitor” for publishing secret state documents last month that include a covert plot against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the profiling of citizens, has lifted the confidentiality of some National Security Council (MGK) documents to be released by its partisan media outlets.

The Taraf daily published several MGK documents dated Aug. 25, 2004 on Nov. 28 and in early December which revealed a secret plot against the Gülen movement and indicated that the Prime Ministry and the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) had categorized, classified, profiled and blacklisted citizens, particularly those who have a connection to religious groups. Later, the Prime Ministry, the MGK and MİT filed a joint complaint against the Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu, who reported on those documents.

During a speech on Dec. 7, Erdoğan said, “Exposing state secrets is not a freedom but absolutely treasonous to the country and homeland.”

However, Baransu published several documents in his column on Monday which reveal that the government had lifted the confidentiality of other MGK documents to be published in dailies close to the ruling party. According to Baransu’s column, the Prime Ministry Security Affairs General Directorate sent seven MGK documents to Prime Ministry Deputy Secretary Özer Kontoğlu on Dec. 2, asking for the lifting of the confidentiality of those documents.

Kontoğlu presented those documents to Prime Minister Erdoğan, who approved the lifting of the confidentiality of the documents. The confidentiality of nine other MGK documents was also later lifted in the same manner. Pro-government dailies such as Yeni Şafak, Akit, Sabah and Star published those documents starting from Dec. 3. Baransu stated in his report: “Erdoğan saved his partisan media outlets from being ‘traitors’ only one day before the dailies started to publish those documents.”

Stating that he had asked jurists about the removal of the confidentiality of MGK documents by the prime minister, Baransu said in his report: “I spoke to various jurists. The consensus was that the removal of the confidentiality of the MGK documents by Erdoğan is against the procedures to be applied to confidential documents which were adopted by the Cabinet in 1964. According to the procedures, the confidentiality of MGK decisions or Cabinet resolutions based on MGK decisions should first be lifted. The confidentiality of specific documents cannot just be removed with Erdoğan’s approval.”

Addressing Erdoğan, Baransu said: “You stated: ‘Releasing secret documents is a crime. Arrest this traitor [Baransu].’ After you, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç used similar words against me. Respected prime minister, you are lifting the confidentiality of the documents which serve your purposes and allow these documents to be released in your dailies. Is this not a practice of a parallel state? Are you trying to cover up the crime you committed against the public by lifting the confidentiality of some documents as part of a psychological operation?”

Source: Today's Zaman , December 23, 2013


Related News

Today’s Zaman Editor-in-Chief Bülent Keneş released pending trial

The İstanbul 8th Penal Court of Peace ruled on Wednesday to release Today’s Zaman Editor-in-Chief Bülent Keneş pending trial after deliberating on a petition by the lawyers of Keneş, who was arrested on Saturday and detained at Silivri Prison.

Men accused of attempting to rape 6 teachers: We thought they were Gulenists

Three suspects accused of attempting to rape 6 female teachers in İzmir have told a court they “wanted to force” the teachers to leave the town because they thought that the victims had links to the Gulen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt.

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) in 2023 concluded an application filed by Karaca for his arbitrary detention in 2015, saying that his detention was a violation of his rights.

PM Erdoğan calls on his supporters to boycott [Hizmet’s] prep schools

Calling on his supporters to boycott prep schools, Erdoğan took another swipe at the Hizmet movement, which, according to him, pulled the trigger of the recent corruption operation.However, lawyer of Fethullah Gülen denied any involvement in the recent graft probe, strongly rejected any link to the case.

Bradley Hawkins on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Dr. Hawkins refers to Fethullah Gulen as a wise man and says, “. I think that his form of Islam is a tremendously powerful, modern form of religion and has a lot to teach the world about how we should get together.” “I think Hizmet goes to the heart of what it means to be a Muslim. The Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him) was a man who was not teaching a set of dogmas. He was teaching a revolution of life, a whole new way to interact with the world around them, to interact with God, to interact with other human beings, to interact even with nature…”

Beating ‘domestic enemies’ in the game of ‘advanced’ democracy

The writers, intellectuals and the journalists close to the Hizmet movement have, from the very beginning, called on the government to take legal steps against those whom he constantly labels the “parallel state” so that they could also know who they are.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Countdown for operation against Hizmet Movement

WaPo publishes editorial from Fethullah Gulen on the day Erdogan meets Trump

Erdogan’s Faux Coup may have been Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

Texas Senate passes resolution commending Fethullah Gülen

Erdogan Changes Tactics On Attempt To Shut Turkish Schools

Mandela and Gülen by İbrahim Özdemir *

World-famous Hafiz Naina: Turkish Schools serve humanity

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News