Kimse Yok Mu delivers humanitarian assistance to Yazidis, Turkmens

The Kimse Yok Mu charity provides humanitarian aid to Iraqi Kurds on Sept. 5, 2013.(Photo: Today's Zaman)
The Kimse Yok Mu charity provides humanitarian aid to Iraqi Kurds on Sept. 5, 2013.(Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: August 21, 2014

Kimse Yok Mu, one of the largest charity organizations in Turkey, has sent humanitarian assistance worth nearly TL 2 million collected by volunteers to help Turkmens and Yazidis escaping Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) forces in Iraq.

The assistance delivered to Turkmens and Yazidis fulfills their basic needs for approximately one week. Mainly consisting of food and some of the most urgent non-food items such as blankets, tents, soap and cooking utensils, the aid was loaded onto trucks and transferred to Iraqi Turkmen and Yazidi refugee communities.

Kimse Yok Mu Vice President Hüseyin Fazlıoğlu, who is also a coordinator of the charity organization’s domestic assistance, has said that the humanitarian aid will continue.

“Kimse Yok Mu is continuing its efforts to save those who are in need of help without regard to religion, language or race. And within this framework our humanitarian assistance for the Yazidis — escaping from the chaos in Iraq and seeking shelter in our country — is ongoing,” Fazlıoğlu said in an interview with Today’s Zaman.

According to Fazlıoğlu, the organization has prepared nearly 22 tons of food and supplies which sends to those areas where it is most needed.

Fazlıoğlu also said that they began the project of providing assistance to suffering Turkmens and Yazidis on the day chaos first erupted in the neighboring country.

The first trucks of humanitarian assistance were sent to the Erzurum branch of the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate (AFAD) in early July to extend assistance to Turkmen people in northern Iraq. Beyond this, two more trucks were sent across the border into Iraq to help Turkmens, Yazidis and other minorities in the Iraqi city of Dohuk. So far, the organization has sent humanitarian assistance totaling some TL 2 million to Turkmens and Yazidis in northern Iraq.

“I hope that this humanitarian assistance will double with the help of Turkish volunteers,” Fazlıoğlu said.

Echoing Fazlıoğlu, the president of Kimse Yok Mu, İsmail Cingöz, said that TL 2 million is not the end of their assistance to the people in need living in northern Iraq.

“The initial aid of TL 2 million was the decision made in the early stage of the chaos. This month we have already fulfilled our budget goal of TL 2 million. Our board is right now planning to come back to the table to evaluate the activities that have taken place so far, as well as the depth of the problem. Afterward, we will decide on whether to extend humanitarian assistance of another TL 2-3 million,” Cingöz said in an interview with Today’s Zaman.

Underlining that when providing aid, Kimse Yok Mu considers the degree of suffering and unjust treatment, rather than the ethnic and/or religious affiliations of people, Cingöz said that the legitimacy of the humanitarian assistance is also important for the organization.

“During the process of providing humanitarian assistance, we are always in correspondence with AFAD and other relevant authorities. We also contact the relevant authorities from the countries to which we are extending assistance. As a member of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), we are also in close touch with the international community. So obtaining responses from these institutes takes up a lot of time, as a result of which, we are sometimes late delivering assistance,” Cingöz said, adding that gaining legitimacy is important in order to provide a secure corridor for the aid shipment. He emphasized that the terror organizations active in the region cause great difficulty for them and create regular delays.

Iraqi chaos did not stop humanitarian aid to Syrians

The ongoing Syrian crisis next door to Turkey, which has continued for more than three years, has left millions of refugees in neighboring countries, including Turkey.

The number of Syrians escaping their war-torn country to seek shelter in Turkey is estimated to be 1.2 million. Some sources also say that the number will reach 1.5 million by the end of the year.

Some 220,000 Syrians have already registered in 22 camps in different provinces of Turkey including Kilis, Hatay, Gaziantep, Şanlıurfa and Mardin.

“The remaining Syrian refugees are dispersed across the country and are living in terrible conditions. Young Syrians are on the streets and risk getting involved in various illegal activities. Their future is at great risk,” Cingöz said adding that the extension of humanitarian assistance is critical in this case and it will continue.

According to him, since early 2011 — the start of the Syrian crisis — Kimse Yok Mu has spent TL 67 million to help Syrians across the country, particularly those in Kilis and Hatay’s Reyhanlı and Yayladağı districts. The humanitarian assistance comprised food, clothes, caring for Syrian children, educating them and financing Syrian schools in the border cities of Turkey.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 21, 2014


Related News

Abduction of Kacmaz Family – The dark side

They travel in groups now, never alone; and each time the doorbell rings, they dread the worst. Their homes are beco­ming emptier; personal possessions are being sold off. The Turkish community here is scared.

Pak-Turk schools won’t close, says Education Minister

“The government will neither close down Pak-Turk schools in the country nor will it hand them over to anyone,” announced the Minister of State for Federal Education and Professional Training Baligh Ur Rehman. According to the minister, Pak-Turk schools are registered with the relevant Pakistani authorities and therefore, they will continue to operate in the country.

Turkey’s post-coup crackdown moves overseas

In several cases, Turkey has offered to run the seized institutions, although it is expected to face legal challenges. Kimse Yok Mu, which had more than 200,000 volunteers in 100 countries before being forcibly closed after the coup attempt, is understood to be preparing to take the decision to international courts. Joshua Hendrick, an expert on the Gulen movement said Ankara faced a big challenge when it came to stepping into the shoes of its former allies.

Pakistan’s Sindh High Court restrains Turkish teachers’ deportation

The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Monday restrained the concerned authority from deporting former employees of Pak-Turk International School, ruling that they can live in the country but only as refugees.

Chinese delight in Turkish Culture and Food Festival

The Turquoise Turkish Culture and Food Festival kicked off in Shanghai on Sunday as part of 2013 Year of Turkish Culture activities, providing Chinese people with the opportunity to find out more about Turkey. The first day of the event, held at the Shanghai Mart, saw a large attendance comprising both locals and Turks living in China

Once shut down by Taliban, now Afghan gov’t plans to hand over successful Turkish Schools to Turkish Gov’t

Afghanistan president Ashraf Ghani has agreed to hand over the Afghan-Turk schools, previously run by a pro-Gulen institution, to the Turkish Education Foundation which is a governmental institution. This step has, however, not been welcomed by the affected schools. Officials of the schools have warned that the move would lead to closing the schools and damage the quality of education.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Arrested journalist Hidayet Karaca’s letter published in Le Monde

Turkish Intelligence Agency (MIT) at center of political storm

‘Consider your husband dead, start a new life,’ prosecutor tells detainee’s wife

Kimse Yok Mu uplifts orphans in Tacloban

‘Let my husband go to another country, just not Turkey’

Hizmet: a social movement or political manipulation?

Detainees ‘beaten, sexually abused and threatened with rape’ after Turkey coup, Human Rights Watch claims

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News