Islamic lender raises capital after massive gov’t withdrawal

Bank Asya
Bank Asya


Date posted: January 27, 2014

ISTANBUL – Reuters

Bank Asya, Islamic lender known to be having close links with Fethullah Gülen, has increased its cash capital after last week’s claimed deposit withdrawal.

Turkish Islamic lender Bank Asya has made a cash capital increase on the back of claims that state-owned companies and institutional depositors have withdrawn millions of Turkish Liras of the bank’s total deposits.

The lender said it had decided to make a cash capital increase of 33 percent to 1.2 billion liras ($515 million) and was selling an 18 percent stake in retailer Yeni Mağazacılık (A101) for 298 million liras.

The bank last week said it had weathered mass deposit withdrawals, which the media said were orchestrated by government supporters as part of a backlash against a corruption scandal blamed on an influential cleric.

Turkish media had said companies and depositors close to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan have withdrawn 4 billion liras ($1.79 billion), some 20 percent of the bank’s total deposits, over the last month to try to sink the lender.

In an interview with Reuters last week, Bank Asya chief executive Ahmet Beyaz had admitted the withdrawal, without specifying the amount.

“The deposit withdrawal was a significant sum, but new deposits worth more than half that amount were placed in the bank, making it possible for us to manage our liquidity,” Beyaz had said Jan. 21, underscoring the bank is not at risk.

Beyaz said the bank’s founders included sympathizers of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who officials accuse of being behind the corruption investigation.

Despite being a sympathizer of the U.S.-based cleric, Beyaz also underlined that his bank did not belong to Gülen’s Cemaat religious community network: “This bank does not belong to the Cemaat. Its founders include people close to the Cemaat.”

Source: Hurriyet Daily , January 27, 2014


Related News

Kerry: Turkish President’s Insinuation of US Role in Attempted Coup is ‘Harmful to Our Bilateral Relations’

John Kerry: We invite the government of Turkey, as we always do, to present us with any legitimate evidence that withstands scrutiny. And the United States will accept that and look at it and make judgments about it appropriately.”

Which is the bigger threat, Turkey’s coup or Erdogan’s response?

Erdogan’s counter-coup may do more to change Turkish politics than the coup plotters ever sought, completing the country’s transformation from secular democracy to what’s fast becoming the new favorite government for aspiring dictators — one where the media is strictly controlled, conformity is entrenched through the schools, elections bring little change, and presidents can rule for life.

Reactions pour in over Turks’ controversial arrest in Malaysia as UN joins calls against extradition

The UN Human Rights Office for South-East Asia has expressed serious concern about the recent arrests of three Turkish nationals in Malaysia, joining calls on the government to refrain from extradition.

Gulen-linked body condemns attempted Turkey coup

For more than 40 years, Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet participants have advocated for, and demonstrated their commitment to, peace and democracy. We have consistently denounced military interventions in domestic politics. These are core values of Hizmet participants. We condemn any military intervention in domestic politics of Turkey.

Cemevi next to mosque embraced by residents in Malatya

Since the groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi place of worship) culture center was held in Ankara on Sept. 8, there has been an ongoing debate on the presence of joint religious centers, with Cihan news agency reporting on Monday of a site in Malatya’s Doğanyol district that has a mosque and […]

Pakistan – Turkish teachers, students not to be deported, court told

The federal government Wednesday told the Lahore High Court that Turkish national teachers and students of PakTurk International Schools would not be deported.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Loyal depositors shoulder Turkey’s Bank Asya while political war rages

NGO: plot to take over Turkish schools will fail in Africa

Ishik University To Educate Students About the Threats of [the so-called] Islamic State

Foreword to “The Gulen Movement: Civic Service without Borders”

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen offers condolences for Tahir Elçi, slain police officers

Religion and war culture discussed in Vienna

Fethullah Gulen: Erdogan is not Fit to be President

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News