Gulen’s Outreach for Alevis

Hüseyin Gülerce
Hüseyin Gülerce


Date posted: January 1, 2011

Zaman newspaper’s journalist Huseyin Gulerce’s words ‘ The government has been putting the Alevis off for seven years. This is a shame’  received support from the Alevis.

Huseyin Gulerce, one of the leading figures of the Fethullah Gulen community (Gulen or Hizmet movement) and a journalist for the Zaman newspaper said that the AK Party has been putting the Alevis off for seven years.

While Gulerce’s words raised the question whether this might be an outreach of Fethullah Gulen community for the Alevis, Gulerce received support from the Alevis. Gülerce made the following assessment for the website t24.com.tr:

‘If somebody wishes to go to a “cem house” (a place of worship for Alevis) to worship, we do not have any right to say no and ask them to go to a mosque instead. There is no such democracy. If a citizen demands a cem house, it is the goverment’s responsibility to meet the request. I criticize the AK party in this respect mostly. They have been putting the Alevis off for seven years. This is a shame. About nine years ago Fethullah Gulen said: ‘ Our Alevi citizens are in desperate need of transferring their oral culture to written culture. The cem houses should serve as centers of attraction for the Alevi youth where they would like to go.’ Actually we need to get rid of a selfish comprehension of democracy and understanding of Islam that work only for us. We make nice statements but don’t wish democracy for others. It is not sincere to say “yes to democracy which works me”.

‘Serious steps taken’

Great support came also from the Alevi groups:

Fevzi Gumus, President, Pir Sultan Abdal Culture Association:

If these opinions belong to Fethullah Gulen and his community, then I am positive about them. So far we have witnessed that the Islamists were not very tolerant and liberal regarding the Alevis. If they are sincere about their assessments, this demonstrates a significant progress on the matter.

Ercan Gecmez, Chairman, Haji Bektashi Veli Anatolian Culture Foundations:

Whoever possesses conscience, and anyone who sees and hears will know what the Alevis are asking for. The government is in a strategy of install.

Hubyar Alevi Cultural Center President Ali Kenanoğlu:

No results came out of the workshops. Even this situation has strengthened the Alevi’s sense of being distracted by the government.

Source: Original news in Turkish, published by Radikal Newspaper on Oct. 15, 2010

 


Related News

Businessman jailed over Gülen links dies of cancer after his belated release from prison

Businessman İsmet Torun, 53, who was diagnosed with stomach cancer during his 38-month incarceration on terrorism charges, died in Ankara on Monday after his release from prison.

Turkey confiscates $billions worth more than 200 companies in operations targeting Gülen

The government-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) has taken over more than 200 companies as part of investigations into the Gülen movement in the recent past. Akın İpek, the CEO of Koza İpek Holding until the confiscation, said 18 of the group’s confiscated companies alone worth over $10 billion.

Turkish PM acknowledges phone call to media executive

Turkey’s mainstream media has been under constant fire since last year’s Gezi Park protests and the recent graft probes for yielding to political pressure from the government.

Offensive launched against Hizmet-affiliated schools in Antalya

The Antalya Metropolitan Municipality, which earlier changed the zoning plans of schools in the province affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement in compliance with a call made by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in June, is to make a final decision on the fate of the schools following deliberation by the municipal commission on zoning and public works.

Fethullah Gulen’s Statement on Mass Shooting at Pittsburgh Synagogue

I am shocked and deeply saddened by the horrific attack against the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh. It is heartbreaking to see such a tragedy happen at a place of worship. I strongly condemn this hate-driven attack on the worshippers.

Dialogue and Friendship Dinner in Portland, Oregon

On November 13th, 2013, Pacifica Institute’s Portland chapter held its 5th Annual Dialogue and Friendship Dinner having the author-journalist Mustafa Akyol as its keynote speaker. The dinner was attended by Turkish and American academics and businessmen. In his keynote speech centered on his book “Islam without Extremes,” Mustafa Akyol pointed out the fact that Islam is misrepresented.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Pro-government paper claims with photoshopped image that Gülen has Vatican passport

“There will be no Turkish Olympiad,” says Erdoğan

Does Erdogan really want Gulen in Turkey?

Erdoğan’s ‘enemies’ find sanctuary in Greece

When Iconic Islamic scholar wins prestigious peace award

Turkey in 2014: Not too bright [Witch-hunt against Gulen Movement expected]

Gülen condemns Pakistan attack, asks Muslims to protect minorities

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News