Gülen’s lawyer: Systemic, illegal wiretaps taking place in Turkey over last six months


Date posted: January 31, 2014

ANKARA

The lawyer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said there has been systematic eavesdropping on unsuspecting citizens for the last six months which led to a smear campaign against his client that included edited and doctored voice recordings.

After “lies” and “defamatory statements” about Gülen surfaced in the media once new recordings were leaked on the Internet, lawyer Nurullah Albayrak said in a written statement that Gülen’s phone calls had been illegally wiretapped.

“Today, it has become obvious that there has been systematic, illegal wiretapping going on in this country for at least six months. The information in these voice recordings, after being edited and doctored, was released as part of the smear campaign,” he said.

On behalf of his client, Albayrak filed a criminal complaint against those responsible for illegally wiretapping many of Gülen’s phone conversations with friends.

He has called on prosecutors and officials to expose an illegal organization in Ankara believed to be responsible for wiretapping influential figures’ phone calls and as well as the defamation campaign.

Stressing that the publication of illegally wiretapped conversations is a crime punishable by up to six years in jail, according to Turkish Penal Code (TCK) Article No. 133, Gülen’s lawyer said that his client is neither being investigated nor is there a court judgment sanctioning that he be wiretapped.

He said whoever is illegally listening in is apparently aiming to distract public attention from the ongoing corruption investigations. The lawyer added that a political engineering campaign is being attempted to discredit his client.

In another set of recordings leaked at the same times as Gülen’s illegal voice recordings, a man named “Süleyman” can be heard speaking to a reporter. Gülen’s lawyer said his client had no association with Süleyman and that the conversation between him and the unnamed reporter are lies and slander.

Albayrak stressed that tapes have been doctored to mislead the public about Gülen.

In the leaked phone conversations, Süleyman was claiming that a new political party would be set up with 78 defectors from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party). He admitted to connections with Israel-linked lobbies and financial circles and predicted that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government would soon fall.

Gülen’s lawyer said none of the claims raised by this person have any truth to them and that the timing of events mentioned in the voice recordings did not match when they actually occurred. He believes this is another sign that the recordings were doctored for propaganda purposes.

Albayrak said the media reports about the recorded phone conversations have been made in an effort to tarnish Gülen’s reputation.

Last week, Albayrak said illegal voice recordings of conversations Gülen had with friends on the phone did not contain anything that constitute a crime and that their broadcast violates the norms of communication privacy.

Gülen’s lawyer also criticized the AK Party government for not vigorously investigating who performed the illegal wiretaps. He lamented the fact that the government failed to expose the culprits despite it being in power for the last 11 years. He also blasted politicians from the governing party for exploiting content from illegal voice recordings in public rallies. “This has encouraged the perpetrators,” he said.

Albayrak said he will soon file criminal complaints regarding the latest recordings as well as against the person identified as “Süleyman.”

Source: Todays Zaman , January 31, 2014


Related News

Fear and paranoia still stalk Turkey two months after the failed coup

The official government narrative is everywhere, from the Twitter accounts to the dominance of the state-affiliated and pro-government press and TV in the wake of media crackdowns. The same words and phrases have been repeated endlessly by the AKP and their supporters until they become almost meaningless – Get Gülen. Gülen. Gülen. We are democracy. Democracy. Democracy. That is how it is, and there is no room to consider anything else.

Minister Yildirim’s high praise for Fethullah Gulen

Minister of Transportation, Maritime and Communication, Binali Yildirim, spoke at the Turkish Language Olympiads Cultural Festival participated by two thousand students from 140 countries, at Kulturpark in Izmir. In his remarks, Yildirim said: “Izmir is the city of tolerance, tourism and maritime, compared to a queen in Victor Hugo’s diaries. You’ve added to its beauty. […]

Gülen’s lawyer denies client facing arrest warrant or extradition

Nurullah Albayrak, lawyer for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has said that there is no criminal investigation, pending prosecution or any other judicial process ongoing in Turkey related to his client, refuting claims raised once again by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan about Gülen’s possible extradition from the US, where he now lives.

Gov’t lifts confidentiality of MGK docs for publishing in partisan press

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government, which accused the Taraf daily of being a “traitor” for publishing secret state documents last month that include a covert plot against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the profiling of citizens, has lifted the confidentiality of some National Security Council (MGK) documents to be released by its partisan media outlets.

Gülen resorts to UN to investigate Turkey’s coup

The U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gülen calls the United Nations to form an international commission to investigate Turkey’s controversial coup attempt on July 15, 2016, and to acquit himself after Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accused him of launching the coup d’état.

Ishak Alaton: Fethullah Gülen is the most “other” in Turkey

The AK Party government, which seems to be without an alternative and lacks an equally dominant opposition to check and balance it, is in big trouble, which they are not fully aware of, says Alarko Holding Chairman İshak Alaton.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Olympiad students sing Kurdish, Turkish songs in Diyarbakır

This is beyond a witch-hunt – Turkey now blames Gülen movement for 9/11 attacks

Plot against Samanyolu media group detected

Gov’t’s pressure for closure of Turkish schools abroad yields no result

Freedom comes with a price

Karzai honored Turkish schools in his country

Gülen’s teachings discussed this time in New York

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News