Gülen says arms, swords have no place in Hizmet’s philosophy

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen


Date posted: December 24, 2014

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has stressed that the idea of pursuing an armed struggle has never had a place in the philosophy of the Hizmet movement.

In a speech broadcast on the herkul.org website on Wednesday, Gülen, who is known for inspiring the grassroots Hizmet movement, elaborated on the motives and the fundamental values of the Hizmet movement in the wake of a Turkish court ruling that seeks his arrest on charges of leading an “armed organization.”

“In your [Hizmet followers’] philosophy of Hizmet, guns, rifles, swords and shields have no place. You buried them in your mental graveyard a long time ago. That’s why you have been highly sensitive of an armed movement and you warned society against this,” he said, addressing his followers.

Gülen advised members of the movement to serve humanity until their last breath. Stating that they should begin their journey to the next world while serving their purpose of reminding people of their own value and working for universal human values, he said the “diamond principles of the Quran” should guide them in these efforts.

Last week, the 1st İstanbul Penal Court of Peace issued an arrest warrant for Gülen, which is seen as a step towards an Interpol red notice and ultimately extradition from the US. The court agreed to issue the warrant for Gülen, but failed to provide any evidence of Gülen’s alleged leadership of an armed terrorist group.

The arrest warrant was part of an operation launched on allegations of defaming a deadly al-Qaeda-affiliated group known as Tahşiyeciler (Annotators).

The prosecutor in charge of the operation claimed that journalists, through print coverage and broadcast media about police raids conducted on this group in 2010, had defamed the suspects, including the leader of Tahşiyeciler, Mehmet Doğan, who openly called for an armed struggle to take over the government in Turkey.

Gülen was allegedly involved in the investigation because he criticized the Tahşiyeciler group in a speech posted on Herkul.org on April 6, 2009. In the broadcast Gülen warned about Tahşiyeciler, saying that it pretends to be a religious group.

Gülen, who has been living in the US since 1999, has been a vocal critic of terrorism and violence committed in the name of Islam for decades. He was very critical of al-Qaeda’s terrorism campaign and said, “One of the people in the world I hate the most is [Osama] bin Laden, because he has spoiled the bright appearance of Islam.” More recently he has also harshly criticized the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), denouncing it as a terrorist group that has nothing to do with Islam. He also slammed Tahşiyeciler, which advocates violence, killing and bombings to overthrow the government, in the 2009 speech.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 24, 2014


Related News

Turkey: ‘Exclusion for all’ state

Indeed, just last week a columnist in a pro-government daily argued that officials in certain government institutions have been expelled over their alleged ties to the Hizmet movement. This is no different from a witch hunt. In a civilized society, expelling qualified professionals because of their sympathy for a religious and social movement can only be described as discrimination.

Diverging points between AKP and Hizmet movement: Kurdish question

The fundamental difference Popp observed is that while the government has been trying to persuade the PKK to lay down its guns, the Gulen movement goes one step further and works to remove the social and cultural problems that caused the Kurdish problem.

Mothers, fathers crying and praying due to extensive victimization

Mothers cried out and made objections wherever state brutality was observed. This noble and peaceful attitude was not only displayed at the education institutions affiliated with the Hizmet movement.

72-year-old Turkish man detained over coup charges

Gülen movement has been accused of masterminding the coup attempt on July 15 despite its successive statements that denied any involvement. Failing to back up its accusations with credible evidence, the government has detained more than 40,000 people and arrested 24,000 over their alleged links to the coup attempt since July 15.

Part of Turkish media say have been shut out by government

Turkish media close to a US-based Islamic preacher accused by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of seeking to usurp power say they have been shut out of government press events in a move they see as evidence of Turkey’s deteriorating press freedoms.

Dozens take to Parliament Hill to protest Turkish human rights violations

Dozens of protesters packed the steps of Parliament Hill Saturday to draw attention to human rights violations against women and children in Turkey, in the wake of last summer’s failed coup.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kyrgyz President Atambayev: Sebat Turkish schools won’t be shut down

Turkey’s first private Arabic station starts to broadcast

Erdoğan’s ‘enemies’ find sanctuary in Greece

Erdoğan’s parallel state (1)

Government as a black propaganda machine

Arrested journalist: I am on guard duty for democracy

Turkish IT Technician Found Dead While Fleeing To Greece

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News