Gov’t effort to bring down bank would have international repercussions

MHP deputy Başesgioğlu criticized the government campaign aimed at bringing down publicly traded Bank Asya.
MHP deputy Başesgioğlu criticized the government campaign aimed at bringing down publicly traded Bank Asya.


Date posted: November 11, 2014

ÇETIN ÇIFTÇI | ANKARA

MHP deputy Başesgioğlu criticized the government campaign aimed at bringing down publicly traded Bank Asya.

Directing his criticism at the government, Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) deputy and parliamentary Justice Commission member Murat Başesgioğlu voiced out “If you attempt to bring down the bank, you will have negative repercussions in the international arena,” adding “No one will take you [government] serious in the international arena, if you attempt to bring down a bank.”

Başesgioğlu also gave the example of Turkey’s failed bid to host the 202 Olympic Games; referring to the instance where Turkey’s credibility suffered. “Public security, credibility and its stability are most important concepts in the international arena” said Başesgioğlu, adding “İstanbul was close to win 2020’s Olympic Games but Tokyo won it just because of being a country of security and rule of law.”

“Do not interfere with anything until next election”

Başesgioğlu criticized the government as well as the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality and called on the ruling Justice Development Party (AK Party) to retract from infringements on society as well as state institutions; “The government and İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality should be concerned only with the security of our country, our borders and its safety. Let those who win the 2015 general elections decide which direction the country should take”.

Source: BGN NEWS , November 10, 2014


Related News

Gülen convinces people that Islam is integral part of global order

SEVGİ AKARÇEŞME, ABANT/TURKEY Professor Hans Köchler from Austria, the president of the International Progress Organization (IPO), has said the European Union’s resistance to Turkey’s membership is not due to its identity or its Islamic culture, as some argue, but mainly for economic reasons. The Abant Platform organized by the Journalists and Writers’ Foundation (GYV) hosted […]

Defamation campaign against Hizmet condemned by CSOs from across country

A large-scale dark propaganda war is being conducted by some circles close to the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against the Hizmet movement and Gülen, particularly since a corruption scandal erupted in December of 2013 in which three Cabinet ministers’ sons, many state bureaucrats and renowned businessmen accused of giving bribes in exchange for favors were implicated.

The Gülen movement as the victim of an orchestrated smear campaign

When the Justice and Development Party (AKP) took office in 2002 under the leadership of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the party’s commitment to democratization was promising. As many political scientists agreed, the first years of AKP rule were a success story, and that was why, with its secular multi-party democracy and its Muslim character, Turkey had emerged as a role model for the Muslim world.

Turkish official says 252 companies seized over Gülen links

The companies are alleged to be connected to the Gülen movement, a civic initiative based in Turkey, with the government coining the term “FETÖ” to designate the movement a terrorist organization despite the lack of any court verdict to that effect. A court last week in fact ruled out the existence of such an organization named “FETÖ.”

Hate crimes get worse in Turkey

Despite the fact that Turkey has recently adopted legislation against hate crimes, Turkey’s divisive Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has not stopped his attacks with verbal expressions of intolerance and hatred directed at the judiciary, opposition parties, the media, business groups and members of the Hizmet movement, a faith-based civic movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Police raid Gülen-inspired Samanyolu schools in Ankara

In yet another government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement, more than 60 police officers carried out raids on four different branches of the private Samanyolu schools in Ankara early on Monday.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Cihan TV network celebrates 10th birthday

Education as a Bridging Factor of All Dimensions of the Sustainable Development

Romanian Minister: Turkish schools are raising the next generation of Romanians

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

US calls decision by Turkey to seize Zaman newspaper ’troubling’

Why Gülen movement teachings attractive to followers?

Gray domination’ and Turkey’s civil rights challenge

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News