Gov’t discriminates against Hizmet-affiliated private schools

Fatih Koleji (Istanbul)
Fatih Koleji (Istanbul)


Date posted: September 4, 2014

ONUR KAFALI / ANKARA

Some private schools affiliated with the Hizmet movement, a faith-based social movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, have been prevented from accessing government incentives.

According to an official list published by the Education Ministry on Monday, many high-achieving private schools did not make the cut to be eligible for financial aid from the government.

The government announced earlier that it will provide cash credits ranging from TL 2,550 to TL 3,550 per student but limited the number of schools that can benefit from this incentive program.

It turns out that many schools affiliated with Hizmet were not on the government list, indicating that the government of Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu is keen to put pressure on the movement, which has been critical of the government regarding rampant corruption, weak accountability and low transparency in governance.

Hinting that the private schools kept out of the list are linked to the Hizmet movement, Chairman of the Active Educators’ Union (Aktif Eğitim-Sen) Osman Bahçe said, “The Ministry of Education selectively discrimination against private schools which are very popular among parents as a result of their performance.”

“While some Hizmet-affiliated schools are on the list, some others that are in high demand by parents are not,” he added.

While serving as prime minister, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan repeatedly called on his supporters not to attend schools connected to the movement. In public rallies, he asked parents to pull their kids out of these schools if they were already enrolled in them.

Bülent Altın, deputy general manager of the private Yamanlar School network in İzmir, confirmed that none of their schools are on the ministry’s list even though they applied for each of the schools in their network.

He said they have been examining the issue and will issue a statement after talking to government officials to find out exactly what happened.

Yamanlar Schools are known as some of the best achieving schools in Turkey as verified by the stellar performance its students have shown in the ultra-competitive university entrance exams as well as at the International Science Olympics.

In addition to Yamanlar, the private Atlantik Schools and some branches of Samanyolu Schools were also not on the list of those eligible for incentives.

The officials of Anafen Schools, serving in 17 different locations, and Coşkun Schools, which have four kindergartens, five primary schools, five secondary schools and three high schools in its network are among the schools that were kept out of the list in İstanbul.

The parents of students who were granted credits for private education filed petitions with the government to challenge the list so that they can send their children to the school of their choice.

It was also interesting that the private Celal Değer Koleji Primary School, the only private primary school in Siirt province, also did not make the list.

The principle of the school, Abdurrahman Dülger, said, “A total of 190 students that were qualified for incentives will not be able take advantage of this unless our school is put on the list.” The number of applications for incentives also fell short of expectations. Even though the Ministry targeted some 250,000 student applications for the financial incentive, the total number of applications remained at 180,000.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 02, 2014


Related News

Standing by the Education Rights of Schoolgirls

Influential Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen, who is considered by TIME magazine as “the most potent advocate of moderation in the Muslim world,” has strongly condemned the kidnappings in Nigeria as well as other such violent acts. In an interview he said that denying girls access to education simply goes against the spirit of the Muslim religious tradition and that women should be able to take on every role in our society, including those of physicians, military officers, judges and head of state.

Suspicious deaths, suicides become common occurrence in post-coup Turkey

The number of people who die in suspicious circumstances after being linked to the July 15 coup attempt has been rising with every passing day, a systematic occurrence that is casting a shadow over official statements pointing to suicide. At least 14 people have reportedly committed suicide. The relatives of most of them claim that the detainees are not the kind of people to commit suicide. Rumours also have it that some of the detainees were killed after being subjected to torture under custody.

Yamanlar Koleji crowns Turkey with second gold medal

Furkan Bahar, a student from Yamanlar Koleji, a private high school in İzmir, has won a gold medal at the 46th International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) held in Hanoi, Vietnam between July 20 and 28. IChO welcomed representatives from 77 countries. Bahar, a member of the national chemistry team appointed by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK), became the winner of Turkey’s only gold medal in the competition.

Misreading Turkey’s Twitter Controversy

Gülen and the participants of the movement he helped create have no interest in the privileges of power, which is evident from their purposeful abstention from holding political office or negotiating for political advantage.

Islamic scholar Gülen files libel case against PM Erdoğan

Gülen’s lawyer Nurullah Albayrak said on Monday that Erdoğan moved beyond borders of freedom of expression and used excessively harsh insults against the Islamic scholar. Gülen is demanding TL 100,000 in compensation for the allegedly denigrating remarks.

Ex-minister denies claims over helping ‘parallel structure’ while in office

Former Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin has denied allegations in a recent police report which claimed that he helped the so-called ‘parallel structure’ setting up its own cadre at the Justice Ministry during his term in office.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Northern Iraqis cheer as Turkish schools donate meat

Why Erdogan Is Soft On ISIS

Turkish schools very well respected and trusted, Pakistan’s Education minister

Erdoğan’s former speechwriter: Call for Gülen’s return was tactical move

PM Erdoğan calls on his supporters to boycott [Hizmet’s] prep schools

Fethullah Gulen ‘very confident’ Turkey extradition from US will fail

Gulen’s books draw large interest at Indonesia’s book fair

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News