German court fines pro-Erdoğan daily for calling Hizmet movement ‘terrorist’


Date posted: January 17, 2017

German media reported on Monday that a court imposed a 250,000 euro fine on the German edition of the Sabah daily for labeling sympathizers of the Gülen, or Hizmet, movement “terrorists.”

The paper, just like its sister publication in Turkey, uses the term “FETÖ” to unlawfully declare the Gülen movement and its sympathizers “terrorists.”

In a similar move to prevent hate speech and hate crime against the movement’s sympathizers, the Netherlands had in 2016 banned using the term “FETÖ,” which was coined by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to designate the Gülen movement a terrorist organization.

Individuals who called the De Roos School, run by movement sympathizers, a “terrorist school” or a “FETÖ school” were fined 1,000 euros for each use of either of the terms by a Netherlands court in September, Zaman Hollanda had reported.

Erdoğan holds the movement responsible for a failed coup on July 15 since the first night of the coup attempt.

On Tuesday the Times newspaper wrote that a report prepared by the EU Intelligence Analysis Centre (IntCen) revealed that although Erdoğan and the Turkish government immediately blamed the coup attempt on Gülen movement, it was staged by a range of Erdoğan’s opponents due to fears of an impending purge.

The European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, a cleric living in self-exile whose views inspired the movement, was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government.

“The decision to launch the coup resulted from the fears of an incoming purge. It is likely that a group of officers comprising Gülenists, Kemalists [secularists], opponents of the AKP [Justice and Development Party] and opportunists was behind the coup. It is unlikely that Gülen himself played a role in the attempt,” said the report, dated Aug., 24, 2016.

“The coup was just a catalyst for the crackdown prepared in advance.”

Despite Gülen and the movement having denied the accusation, Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Source: Turkish Minute , January 17, 2017


Related News

Fethullah Gulen on ‘GPS’: Failed Turkey coup looked ‘like a Hollywood movie’

“I have always been against coups, and I cursed them,” he said. “I would curse people who resort to coups against democracy, liberty, republic.” Gulen said returning to Turkey would only complicate matters. Asked if he had a message for Erdogan, Gulen said: “I only pray that he would not go to the presence of God with all these sins he committed.”

In Conversation with Fethullah Gülen (Interview in Asharq Al-Awsat-I)

While it is a movement inspired by faith, this [Hizmet movement] community of volunteers develops and delivers reasonable and universally acceptable projects which are in full compliance with humanitarian values and which aim to promote individual freedoms, human rights and peaceful coexistence for all people regardless of their faith.

Guest post: Turkey and the problem of political continuity

Erdogan has not only replaced thousands of suspected Gulenists in the police force and the judiciary. He has also sought, with mixed results, to make the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors directly accountable to the government.

Fethullah Gulen: I am not hiding and not on the run

Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region. The Turkish government has previously, even before the July 15 military coup attempt, called on the KRG to close schools connected to the Gulen movement in the region.

How to Play Nice With an Angry Erdogan

The sweeping purges and mass arrests since last month’s failed military coup in Turkey have confirmed many of the worst fears about President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government. They are the most recent in a long history of abuses. Over the last few years, Mr. Erdogan has harshly repressed the Turkish press and civil society, supported extremist militant groups in Syria

Kosovo grants asylum to Turkish national

About five months after submitting a request for asylum, Ugur Toksoy, a Turkish national whose  extradition procedures to Turkey were terminated by the State Prosecution in December last year, was granted refugee status in Kosovo.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Clergy share ideals as source of peace

Recalling Turkey’s ‘post-modern coup’

Gülen offers condolences for slain İstanbul resident shot at protest

Who are these pro-Erdogan mobs who even beheaded a soldier?

European court rules Asya-like seizure of bank unfair

Pioneer Academy of Science to Move to a New Campus

Coexistence Awards largely honor Turkey’s minority groups

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News