Fethullah Gulen: I am not hiding and not on the run


Date posted: July 30, 2016

SAYLORSBURG, PA — Turkish Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, living in self-imposed exile in the United States, denied on Friday (July 30) allegations made by some Turkish and Arab media networks that he had escaped from the U.S.

NRT correspondent Huner Anwer spoke with Gulen in an exclusive interview at his residence in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania. Gulen told NRT he is not in hiding and made it clear he has not left his highly secured home in the state despite suggestions made by Ankara that he may be on the run.

Gulen, whose extradition the Turkish government is pursuing, denied any connection with the failed coup attempt in Turkey and said his activities are occupied with his daily routine at the “Golden Generation Worship and Retreat Center.”

Gulen said through a translator that he has been living in his Pennsylvania residence since 1999 due to his own decision.

The Islamic cleric said he has faith the world will not believe the accusations that he was behind the coup attempt and insists he has always been against military intervention.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his government have blamed Gulen for supposedly orchestrating the coup attempt.

Erdogan officially designated Gulen’s religious movement a terrorist group in May and said he would pursue its members.

The Turkish Consul-General to Erbil said on Thursday (July 28) the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) should recognize the Hizmet Organization of Turkish Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen as a “terrorist organization.”

Mehmet Akif Inam, the Turkish Consul-General, said during a press conference on Thursday that he would direct requests to the KRG in the near future regarding the Hizmet Organization and schools run by the group in the Kurdistan Region.

The KRG Ministry of Education said it would abide by any decision made by the KRG Council of Ministers concerning the closure of the organization’s schools in the Kurdistan Region.

Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region.

The Turkish government has previously, even before the July 15 military coup attempt, called on the KRG to close schools connected to the Gulen movement in the region.

Source: NRT TV , July 30, 2016


Related News

Turkey torture claims in wake of failed coup

Kamil continues. “‘If you don’t speak, we’ll bring your wife here and rape her in front of your eyes’, they said. Then they took me to a dark room and tried to forcefully insert a baton into my anus. When they couldn’t do it, they left. Maybe I will forget the other torture – but for the sexual part, it is carved into the dirtiest corner of my heart.”

Kimse Yok Mu offers a hand of compassion to Kyrgyz orphans

Kimse Yok Mu foundation will build an orphanage in the capital Bishkek. A school campus of about 1.8 hectares has been allocated for the orphanage. KYM will build a swimming pool and gym in addition to covering renovation and furnishing expenses. The complex will be launched in September.

Ethiopian President receives Ethio-Turkish schools delegation

Board members of Nejashi Ethio-Turkish International Schools recently paid a courtesy visit to the newly elected Ethiopian President, Dr. Mulatu Teshome, in his presidential office. A former ambassador of Ethiopia to Ankara, Teshome warmly received the board members of the schools, which have been operating in the country for nine years, currently with 1,300 students […]

Does Pakistani law allow you to deport Turkish teachers, Nawaz Sharif?

The recent controversy that has emerged regarding the PakTurk school system is troubling to say the least. PakTurk schools started popping up all over Pakistan during last decade. Turkey has always carried a strong brand value in Pakistan and it is therefore not surprising that the school system ostensibly embodying the best of Pakistan and Turkey was an instantaneous hit with parents.

Tip of the iceberg

BERİL DEDEOĞLU A significant allegation is circulating. Some people claim that the government wants to close prep schools because of a secret deal with the Kurds. They probably suggest that the Kurds are against the education institutions established by those close to Fethullah Gülen’s thinking, and they want to replace these prep schools with Kurdish […]

World is not Enough

A vibrant confluence of cultures and languages is going to hit the Indian shores for the first time with the fourteenth edition of International Festival of Languages and Culture going to take place in the Capital. By Sharang Bhaskaran.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

PWTD, Turkish NGO to work for cataract elimination

Tunisian scholar Ghannouchi: Gülen promotes ‘noble Islam’

Gray domination’ and Turkey’s civil rights challenge

American students volunteer for Kimse Yok Mu aid campaign

Fethullah Gulen’s Dialogue

The Preventive Role of Culture in Women’s Empowerment: Possibilities and Challenges

University of Florida and the failed coup in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News