Friends of Hrant slam gov’t attempt to associate Dink murder with Gülen movement

The Friends of Hrant held a press conference in front of Çağlayan Courthouse before the eighth hearing in the retrial of the Dink murder on Friday. (Photo: Cihan)
The Friends of Hrant held a press conference in front of Çağlayan Courthouse before the eighth hearing in the retrial of the Dink murder on Friday. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: January 25, 2015

MÜRSEL GENÇ/ MUSTAFA ARSLAN/ / ISTANBUL

A group called Friends of Hrant Dink, including lawmakers and activists, has harshly criticized the government’s recent attempt to associate the Dink’s murder with the Gülen movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling onauthorities to expose the real criminals behind the murder.

The group held a press conference in front of Çağlayan Courthouse before the eighth hearing in the retrial of the Dink murder on Friday. Speaking on behalf of the group, Cumhuriyet columnist Aydın Engin said that there are attempts to link the murder with one individual or a group. Referring to the “parallel structure,” a term invented by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to refer to the Gülen movement (Hizmet movement), Engin said: “There are attempts being made to associate the murder with a nondescript structure called ‘parallel.’ However, we have known from the beginning that it was a murder of national reconciliation.”

A court overseeing the retrial of the Dink murder postponed the trial to April 28.

Engin said the trial is nothing more than a show, adding that concealed evidence, suspected public officials being promoted instead of convicted and court decisions have made them all pessimistic. Stating that the Dink murder has so far been used by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) for various political reasons, Engin said that the government is trying to blame the Gülen movement for it. The government has been in conflict with the movement since a corruption scandal that implicated various high-ranking state officials was made public on Dec. 17, 2013.

The columnist claimed that Dink was murdered as a result of a cooperation between police, soldiers, the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) and some provocateurs. “We know the names of most of the public officials involved in the murder. They cannot make us believe in this deceit. They cannot confine this trial only to the parallel [structure] or any other particular structure,” he said. He also said the state network behind the murder should be revealed and all the criminals should be punished.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 23, 2015


Related News

Turkish coup attempt: who is Fethullah Gülen?

The Turkish government, including President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has pointed the finger at Fethullah Gülen – also known as leader of the Hizmet movement – as the mastermind behind Friday’s attempted coup by the country’s military. But who is Gülen? We take a look at the Islamic cleric and how he has affected Erdoğan’s presidency

TÜBİTAK changes olympiad scoring system, penalizes private schools

The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) has changed the scoring system it uses to evaluate student grades in science olympiads it sponsors, giving private schools a smaller coefficient and thereby placing students from these schools at a disadvantage.

[Part 3] Gülen says gov’t cut back on rights and freedoms in Turkey

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who has inspired the popular civic and social movement called Hizmet, has said he is concerned with the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government’s moves seen over the last couple of years to cut back on fundamental rights and freedoms in Turkey.

Documents expose plot to hold Hizmet responsible for KPSS cheating

The Zaman daily has published documents which reveal that a plot was devised to unjustly hold the members of the Hizmet Movement responsible for a cheating scandal at the State Personnel Examination (KPSS) in 2010.

Doctors In Turkey discouraged from writing up reports on abuse, torture

There appears to be a systematic and deliberate campaign by the government of Turkey to dissuade doctors from writing up reports that prove abuse and torture cases detainees and prisoners went through or that verify serious health risks for jailed suspects.

Did Erdoğan say ‘shut up’ to Gen. Eruygur?

EMRE USLU Liberal daily Taraf has published yet another document showing that the government, back in 2004, signed an agreement with the generals to fight the Gülen movement. The document outlined that the government agreed to prevent Gülen sympathizers from getting jobs in state institutions. Some political observers argue that the document shows that in […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Bittersweet joy for teachers amid prep schools conflict in Turkey

Turks living in Britain see it as their duty to integrate

American students volunteer for Kimse Yok Mu aid campaign

Answers to the questions about the Hizmet [Gulen] movement

On the mysterious deportations of Turkish teachers

Turkey bans math textbooks due to questions including Gülen’s initials

Gülen has been awarded an honorary doctorate by Leeds Metropolitan University

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News