France Urges Turkey to Respect Rights in Aftermath of Coup

France's Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault, left, and his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu shake hands after a joint news conference in Ankara, Turkey, Monday, Oct. 24, 2016. Ayrault has called for an end of the
France's Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault, left, and his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu shake hands after a joint news conference in Ankara, Turkey, Monday, Oct. 24, 2016. Ayrault has called for an end of the "massive bombing raids" by Russia and the Syrian government forces to allow for the delivery of aid to beleaguered populations and the resumption of peace efforts in Syria. (AP Photo/Burhan Ozbilici)


Date posted: October 28, 2016

France’s foreign minister urged Turkey on Monday to respect fundamental rights and freedoms in the aftermath of the country’s failed military coup, saying democracy is the best defense against those trying to defy it.

Jean-Marc Ayrault said during a joint news conference with his Turkish counterpart in Ankara that France understands Turkey’s need to pursue the perpetrators of the failed July 15 coup attempt and did not underestimate the threat posed by the coup-plotters. But, he said, the country must respect the rule of law.

Turkey declared a 90-day state of emergency and began a massive crackdown on a movement led by a U.S.-based Muslim cleric it accuses of orchestrating the failed coup. The cleric, Fethullah Gulen, has denied involvement.

The state of emergency, which was extended this month by another 90 days, allows the government to rule by decrees and authority to detain suspects for up to 30 days and limit their access to lawyers.

Ayrault said: “We must reiterate our attachment to the rule of law, to fundamental rights, the right for all to benefit from a fair trial and to defend these rights with the support of lawyers.” ?

Turkey frequently cites a state of emergency that was declared in France, following terror attacks there, to defend its decision to extend emergency powers.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Monday there was no difference between the two countries’ emergency declarations — a claim Ayrault refuted saying the French model did not undercut legislative powers and guaranteed “the independence of justice.”

Cavusoglu said: “Whatever legal proceedings terrorists attacking France are facing, so are the terrorists connected to (Gulen) who participated in the coup attempt and they have been handed over to the judiciary.”

Source: ABC News , Oct 24, 2016


Related News

Wiretapped recordings erased on orders of new police chief

Earlier this year, claims emerged in the media that police officials in the Diyarbakır Police Department who are members of the Hizmet movement carried out a number of illegal wiretaps since 2008. The prosecutor, unconvinced by the police department’s response, began to examine the circumstances surrounding the whereabouts of the recordings. He questioned several police officers from the department and found that the recordings had been erased on the order of Police Chief Halis Böğürcü, who was appointed head of the Diyarbakır Police Department in early January.

US under Trump still highly unlikely to extradite Gülen

National War College professor Taşpınar says extradition remains unlikely because Ankara has presented no concrete evidence directly implicating him in the coup attempt. “I think what [Washington] should do is to basically tell the Turks they need a smoking gun. They need much clearer evidence, which is not there yet,” he says

London-Based Turkish Academic To Run 10,000 Meters To Raise Fund For Purge Victims In Turkey

İsmail Sezgin, a London-based Turkish academic has tweeted on Tuesday that he will run a total of 10,000 meters in support of the families hit by an ongoing purge by the Turkish government. Releasing a statement on moneygiving.com, Sezgin said that he aims at raising a fund of 10 thousand pounds to help purge-victim families in Turkey.

Men accused of attempting to rape 6 teachers: We thought they were Gulenists

Three suspects accused of attempting to rape 6 female teachers in İzmir have told a court they “wanted to force” the teachers to leave the town because they thought that the victims had links to the Gulen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt.

Why would Gulen choose to attempt a coup that’s contrary to all his views?

I believe it is unlikely that Gulen was the mastermind behind the dramatic failed coup attempt against Erdogan last week. Of course, in the absence of evidence, so far no one can speak with certainty. Gulen’s social movement probably has well over a million followers or sympathizers who are not under centralized control.

Turkey bans math textbooks due to questions including Gülen’s initials

Turkey’s paranoia over the Gülen movement has reached new heights with the government banning mathematics textbooks due to questions involving the initials of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Peacebuilders Conference

Little Girl Cries Out For Help For Jailed Mom, Missing Dad In Turkey

Kazakhstan presents medals to Turks for contributing to bilateral relations

American academic: Hizmet Movement serves for entire humanity

Rumi Forum bestows Peace and Dialogue Awards

Twelve questions Turkey’s journalists can’t ask

Erdoğan and AK Party deputies split over hate speech against Hizmet

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News