Fethullah Gülen Reiterates No Involvement In Turkey’s Controversial Coup Attempt


Date posted: July 12, 2017

US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied once more Turkish authorities’ accusations of masterminding a controversial coup bid in Turkey last year, in interviews with the Reuters and the US’s National Public Radio (NPR), saying he has always stood against all coups.

Speaking separately with NPR and Reuters in exclusive interviews, Gülen underlined that he is ready to return to Turkey if any concrete evidence is presented of his involvement in the bloody coup attempt that claimed lives of 249 people.

During the interview with Reuters on Tuesday, Gülen also said he is ready to leave the US for Turkey if Washington finds it appropriate to extradite him, as the Turkish government has requested. “If the United States sees it appropriate to extradite me, I would leave [for Turkey],” he said.

US officials have said privately that even though Turkey’s autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has appealed directly to US President Donald Trump on the matter, Turkey has yet to provide enough evidence for the US Justice Department to act, the Reuters report said.

Speaking to NPR’s Robert Siegel in an interview on Tuesday, Gülen said he has always stood against coups and added: “My respect for the military aside, I have always been against interventions. … If any one among those soldiers had called me and told me of their plan, I would tell them, ‘You are committing murder’.”

Accusing Erdoğan of being responsible for the suffering and oppression of innocent people in Turkey and abroad, Gülen said: “If they ask me what my final wish is, I would say the person who caused all this suffering and oppressed thousands of innocents, I want to spit in his face.”

When asked if he was referring to Erdoğan, he replied: “It can’t be anyone else. He is the oppressor.”

Turkey survived a failed coup on July 15, 2016 in which 249 people died.

Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government and President Erdoğan immediately put the blame on the Gülen movement and speeded up a witch-hunt against sympathizers of the movement, which was also accused by the government of launching a graft probe at the end of 2013 that implicated figures from the AKP and people close to Erdoğan.

Despite Gülen, whose views inspired the Gülen (a.k.a. Hizmet) movement, and the movement having denied the accusations, Erdoğan and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

According to a tally by TurkeyPurge.com, 138,148 people, including some 10,000 soldiers, had been dismissed from their jobs, 115,827 were detained and 55,425 jailed over alleged links to the movement as of July 10.

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , July 12, 2017


Related News

8-year-old cancer patient departs to Germany for treatment without parents due to ongoing travel ban

Ahmet Burhan Ataç, an eight-year-old kid departed to Germany on Sunday for cancer treatment without his parents as the father is in prison and the mother is subject to a travel ban over alleged Gulen links.

34 housewives arrested over Gülen links in İstanbul

Thirty-four housewives were arrested by a Turkish court on Saturday due to alleged use of a smart phone application called ByLock and links to the Gülen movement, which the Turkish government blames for a failed coup last July.

Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen loses 72-year-old brother

Seyfullah Gülen, the brother of leading Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, died at the age of 72 on Friday morning at the private Şifa Hospital in Erzurum, where he had been receiving treatment after a heart attack.

Gülen says paying price for not supporting Erdoğan’s desire for presidential system

“Mr Erdoğan put pressure on me and Hizmet sympathizers to publicly support his idea of a presidential system. He increased the pressure by supporting government-funded alternatives to Hizmet institutions and then began threatening to close them down,” Gülen stated in a written interview with Nahal Toosi, which was published on Friday. According to Gülen, Hizmet sympathizers are paying a heavy price for their independence.

Royalties provide Fethullah Gülen with modest income, his lawyer says

Turkish religious scholar Fetullah Gülen makes a living off the royalties he receives from his more than 60 books, the self-exiled Muslim leader’s lawyer has said in response to media scrutiny.”My client has written over 60 books which were all listed among best sellers. He makes a living by copyright income,” said Gülen’s lawyer, Nurullah […]

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, cannot leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altıparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University, told the Los Angeles Times to describe how the lives of thousands have changed since a July 15 coup attempt. “You cannot leave the country, you cannot find other jobs, either because of legal or de facto obstacles, because even in the private sector people do not want to employ you.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Pacifica Institute Utah hosts ‘Love is a Verb’ screening for interfaith season

Failed 2016 coup was gov’t plot to purge Gülenists from state bodies, journalist claims

Gülen Movement Discussed in Malaysia Seminar

Arınç says Gülen’s offer to hand over prep schools ‘sacrifice’

Thousands pay final respects to Gülen’s brother in Erzurum

AK Party founder: I don’t believe claims of parallel state

American pastor jailed over Gülen links asks Trump to fight for his release

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News