Fenerbahçe’s Yıldırım calls on fans to attend protest


Date posted: February 13, 2014

İSTANBUL

Fenerbahçe Chairman Aziz Yıldırım has called on his club’s fans to march on Sunday for “justice for Turkey and Fenerbahçe” in İstanbul.

Yıldırım, speaking on CNN Türk, urged Fenerbahçe fans to attend the rally. “No one can hinder the demonstrations for Ali İsmail Korkmaz. Fener supporters will chant. If you are going to suppress it, people will riot and it won’t end well.”

Korkmaz, a youth killed by policemen after he participated in a Gezi Park protest in Eskişehir in June, has become a symbol of resistance in Turkey.

A group of Fenerbahçe supporters and riot police faced off at the end of December 2013, when hundreds of youths chanted Korkmaz’s name in slogans before a Spor Toto Super League Fenerbahçe-Kayserispor match in Kadıköy’s Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium. Fenerbahçe fans, venting frustration over a graft scandal that erupted on Dec. 17 with the detention of prominent businessmen close to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and three ministers’ sons, chanted “everywhere is corruption, everywhere is bribery” and called on the government to resign.

Yıldırım pledged to attend the rally himself, adding that the demonstration is being organized by lawyers working for Fenerbahçe fan associations. Though he denounced insulting and obscene chants, Yıldırım defended fans’ right to chant at the 34th minute of football matches, which has become a widespread practice in Turkey since the Gezi Park demonstrations. Thirty-four is the registration number for İstanbul license plates.
‘Gülen’s audio recordings are part of operation’

Yıldırım went on to address leaked voice recordings — purportedly of Turkish İslamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen — that were recently published by pro-government media outlets, calling the leaks an “operation.”

“We consider the dissemination … of wiretaps of Fethullah Gülen Hocaefendi’s conversations an operation, and we condemn and refuse to accept these kinds of activities,” Yıldırım said.

Voice recordings said to contain Gülen discussing efforts to shut down private financial institution Bank Asya appeared on a number of websites on Jan. 13, deepening privacy concerns as allegations of corruption continue to harry Erdoğan’s government.

Gülen filed criminal complaints over the illegal wiretaps and against the media outlets and websites that published the distorted voice recordings in an attempt to defame the scholar.

“I have never gotten acquainted with Fethullah Gülen,” Yıldırım said. “However, we talked over the phone after I got out of jail. He wished me well and said that he does not wish me any harm.”

Yıldırım, who was serving a sentence for match-fixing, had been quoted by some media outlets as accusing a Hizmet-controlled group of orchestrating a plot against him.

“When I was in jail I asked who led the operation [against me]. The people who were visiting me said that it was orchestrated by Cemaat [the Hizmet movement, inspired by Gülen’s teachings. They said the Cemaat management did not take any initiative, but that the plot could have been carried out by low-level members. Those who are close to the government deny the government’s involvement as well,” Yıldırım said, adding, “Then there is [an Operation] Gladio carried out by neither Cemaat nor the government.”

Source: Todays Zaman , February 13, 2014


Related News

Call for paper for “International Family Policy Conference”

The Journalists and Writers Foundation is organizing the third international family conference, “International Family Policies”, in order to analyze different kind of legal formulations to protect family as an “institution” across different countries. Conference aims to prioritize policy-oriented articles together with academic and descriptive ones.

AK Party deputy Hakan Şükür against closure of prep schools

Former national team captain and current Justice and Development Party (AK Party) İstanbul deputy Hakan Şükür, referring to the government’s plan to shut down prep schools, has said it was wrong to vote “yes” on their closure before a process is carried out which eliminates the need for the schools.

Turks Seen as Sympathetic to US-Based Muslim Cleric Say They Face Threats

More than a month after Turkey’s failed coup, which its government blames on a U.S.-based Muslim cleric, many Turks seen as his sympathizers say threats from government supporters are complicating their lives.

Who are these pro-Erdogan mobs who even beheaded a soldier?

Hours after the failed coup attempt, pro-Erdogan mobs flooded the streets of Turkey. They behead soldiers, storm military headquarters. But who are they?

Purge-victim businessman dies of cancer days after being released from prison

Engin Erol, 41, a Turkish businessman who was jailed three years ago on allegations of membership in the Gülen group, died on Thursday evening in a hospital from cancer, which was not treated properly in the prison where he was held until the last stage of his illness.

Gülen’s education model discussed at Indonesia conference

An international conference held between Oct. 20 and Oct. 21 in Jakarta has discussed the ideas on education of well-respected Islamic scholar Fetullah Gülen, who has pioneered educational activities in a number of countries along with efforts to promote intercultural and interfaith activities around the world.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

On Hizmet: Why do I not criticize it?

Pakistan – Staff expelled from Turkish-backed schools on Erdogan’s demand

Dialogue and Friendship Dinner in Portland, Oregon

New York Times interviews Mr. Gulen

Out of the rubble, a chance to mend relations

“True change in a society cannot be achieved through politics but through conscience and collective awareness”

Former Somali minister grateful to Kimse Yok Mu

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News