AK Party deputy Hakan Şükür against closure of prep schools

In open disagreement with Prime Minister Erdoğan, former football player and AK Party deputy Hakan Şükür opposed the closure of private prep schools. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mustafa Kirazlı)
In open disagreement with Prime Minister Erdoğan, former football player and AK Party deputy Hakan Şükür opposed the closure of private prep schools. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mustafa Kirazlı)


Date posted: November 25, 2013

Former national team captain and current Justice and Development Party (AK Party) İstanbul deputy Hakan Şükür, referring to the government’s plan to shut down prep schools, has said it was wrong to vote “yes” on their closure before a process is carried out which eliminates the need for the schools.

Şükür, sharing messages on Twitter, stated, “I fear the closure of prep schools may open wounds that can’t be healed in society given that the prep schools lead many students to pass the university admission exams.”

Sharing his thoughts on social media recently on the controversial plan by the government — which has drawn widespread criticism — to shut down the nation’s prep schools, Şükür said: “My respect and love for Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is known by the whole society; it’s a fact I don’t feel the need to prove. My love and sympathy for the prominent Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement he leads is also known by people. I feel proud to have been involved in this movement for more than 20 years and likewise to have been a member of the AK Party. As someone close to both sides, I feel extremely sorry that they are now in conflict with each other. Fethullah Gülen always remembers our prime minister in his prayers, and I never witnessed our prime minister saying things against him.”

Noting that the sensitivity expressed about the issue in the Turkish media stems from the concern that this close friendship will be ruined, Şükür further said: “Seeing prep schools only as places of business is not a correct way to evaluate the issue. Of course the improvement of the current distorted education system is our primary duty but I have to admit that I am not on the side of destroying it as a whole while trying to achieve that.”

“I don’t think it is okay to say ‘yes’ to the move of the government to close prep schools while there is still a huge gap to be filled in healing the current education system,” he added.

Expressing his discontent at the media’s fueling the already existing conflict to ruin the relationship between the ruling party and the Hizmet movement, he wrote, “It is unfair [for the media] to label those who came to vote for our party with many sacrifices and some media outlets who have been on the side of our party as ‘the enemy’.”

Source: Today's Zaman , November 24, 2013


Related News

Bosnian Arrest of ‘Gulenist’ School Head Sparks Extradition Fears

The sudden and unexplained detention on Tuesday of a Turkish school director in northwest Bosnia is being linked to pressure exerted by the Ankara authorities.

People happy in town Kimse Yok Mu helped build

Kimse Yok Mu has been operating in Pakistan since October 2005, when an earthquake devastated the north of the country. The foundation has so far dug 178 wells in Pakistan, and there are 86 wells currently under construction. Across Pakistan, 800,000 people benefit from the clean water provided by the foundation and its donors. The total aid provided by Kimse Yok Mu to the people of Pakistan exceeds $30 million.

The Turkish invasion of Nigeria

I think Nigerians have to rise to the occasion and ensure that the persecution of Hizmet movement participants is halted without further delay. It is pertinent to state that Hizmet movement affiliated institutions in Nigeria have over 2000 Nigerians in their employ.

Turkey’s Brain Drain and the Disappearing Academic Freedom

Hasan was the luckiest because he was not in Turkey during the coup. He was studying abroad on July 15th and learned the coup through the Internet. He was supposed to go back to Turkey but he decided not to do so because of the news on the immense purging in mostly the government and some private institutions. Few days after the coup he learned that he was dismissed from his position at a state university.

Lawyer Karahan: Hate crimes against Hizmet can be prosecuted at ECtHR, ICC

The Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) has taken over management control of some of the privileged shares of Bank Asya as part of a government-operated crackdown on institutions affiliated with the Gülen movement, also known as Hizmet, and shareholders will be filing a lawsuit against the action, but this week’s guest for Monday Talk has said it is likely that the case will end up at the European Court of Human Rights and even at the International Criminal Court.

Witch hunt against the Gülen followers in Europe

Political madness in Turkey is at its peak. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan does not even refrain from using the term “witch hunt” against the Gülen followers. When Erdoğan and his circle don’t find any evidence, they allegedly try to produce evidence. Bureaucrats who don’t want to be part of Erdoğan’s witch hunt have sent letters to the media and prosecutors confessing what they are doing. Unfortunately, what they said in those letters has been confirmed by later developments.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

EU lends support to mosque-cemevi project

GYV calls on President Gül to investigate interference with judiciary

German gov’t dismisses parliamentary question on Hizmet

Azeri NGOs harshly criticize Zeynalov’s deportation from Turkey

CCTV shows school principal being ‘abducted’ as post-coup crackdown in Turkey spreads to Malaysia

Kimse Yok Mu helps flood victims in Tajikistan

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences for the Death of Soccer Star, Diego Maradona

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News