Exiled Turkish professor ‘leading US university’


Date posted: January 12, 2017

Jack Grove

An academic named as one of Turkey’s “most wanted terrorists” has been appointed president of a US university.

Serif Ali Tekalan, a medical professor, took charge of North American University, based in Houston, Texas, last month, according to a report by the pro-Turkish government Daily Sabah newspaper on 8 January.

Professor Tekalan, a former rector of Istanbul’s Fatih University, fled Turkey in 2010 after he was implicated in a cheating scandal, (1) in which questions and answers for Turkey’s civil service exams were allegedly leaked to supporters of the exiled Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen.

He was later placed on the Turkish Interior Ministry’s list of most wanted terrorists, with a reward of 750,000 Turkish liras (£166,000) for information leading to his capture, over his alleged links to the US-based Gulen, who is accused of perpetrating last year’s failed coup in Turkey. 

According to the Daily Sabah, Professor Tekalan now leads the North American University, formerly North American College, which was founded by Gulenists in 2010 – one of hundreds of schools, colleges and universities across the world allegedly run by Gulen’s group.

More than 110,000 civil servants, academics and journalists have now been sacked or suspended over their alleged links to Gulen since a plot to oust President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan failed on 15 July.

Those dismissed have often been placed on an official blacklist, which makes it almost impossible for them to gain future employment, while some have had their passports revoked.

More than 50,000 of those suspended, sacked or jailed are educational staff, while 37,000 have been jailed pending trial.

Turkey’s president also claimed greater powers over appointing university heads in a move that in effect “eradicates university autonomy”, critics have said.


(1) HN note: This and other accusations against individuals and the Gulen movement have never been proved in the court; and even, in many cases, indictments have not been submitted to the court although Turkish security and justice system is under Erdogan’s full control. One can only wonder why Erdogan regime keeps accusing despite lack of evidence.

Source: Times Higher Education , January 10, 2017


Related News

Turkey and the “forgotten” Zaman journalists in jail

Two years of the seizure of his newspaper and his sacking, the former bureau chief of Zaman newspaper in Brussels, Selçuk Gültasli, visited the EFJ-IFJ headquarter to deliver a special briefing on “the desperate situation of Zaman journalists and media workers in jail” in Turkey.

IFLC’s ‘colors of the world’ welcomed at European Parliament

Children from across the world who participated in the 13th International Festival of Language and Culture (IFLC) were welcomed in Brussels and performed a special show at the European Parliament (EP) at the behest of EP President Martin Schulz on Wednesday.

Top judge, paralysed after cancer surgery, under arrest at hospital

A Supreme Court of Appeals member until he was dismissed, Mustafa Erdogan has been kept in a holding cell at a private hospital since Dec. 30, 2016. His daughter Buket Erdogan said the top judge was denied right to “trial without arrest” although he was paralysed after a surgery on his brain.

US Court Dismisses Turkey-backed Lawsuit against Fethullah Gülen

A US District Court in Pennsylvania today dismissed a politically-motivated lawsuit against Fethullah Gülen, an internationally respected Turkish scholar, preacher and peace activist. Brought about by three Turkish nationals with the backing of the Recep Tayyip Erdoğan-led Turkish government, the baseless lawsuit alleged persecution of the Doğan Movement at the direction of Mr. Gülen.

Did you say extradition?

There is no crime attributed to Gülen and no investigation or court ruling against him. But one thing is certain: It is almost impossible that the US will respond positively to the Turkish government’s demand that Gülen be extradited.

Turkey Concedes: No Evidence Linking Gulen to Coup Sent to Washington

Turkey is conceding it has not sent any evidence to Washington linking Fethullah Gulen to the failed July 15 coup attempt, despite increasingly angry calls by Ankara for the United States to extradite the Pennsylvania-based cleric or suffer a severe downgrade in diplomatic relations.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Purge-victim family drowns in the Aegean Sea off Turkey

Police chief request promotion for taking part in ‘parallel’ witch-hunt

‘If you are against us, you are the other’

Gift From God: How Erdogan Turned July 15 Into Windfall

Students from West Africa gather at Turkish school in Senegal

Filipino businessman grateful for Turkish schools

One Year On, New Research Uncovers Turkey’s Coup Bid Staged By Erdoğan Himself

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News