Education Ministry sought to profile students, teachers through surveys

A classroom in a prep school in Zonguldak. (Photo: Cihan, Sinan Kabatepe)
A classroom in a prep school in Zonguldak. (Photo: Cihan, Sinan Kabatepe)


Date posted: December 2, 2013

A new document obtained by Today’s Zaman suggests that the Education Ministry sought in 2012 to profile students and teachers at some prep schools based on their religious and ideological backgrounds through questionnaires handed out to students at state schools.

According to the document, the ministry ordered inspectors to visit state schools across the country and ask students questions about their prep school preferences. In line with the ministry’s order, inspectors prepared a questionnaire and handed the documents to certain students to fill out. In the questionnaire, students were asked such questions as “Are you urged by your teachers to attend prep courses?” “Which prep school do you attend?” “Do your teachers tell you to attend prep courses instead of attending schools? If yes, write the names of those teachers.”

While only attendees of prep schools owned by the Hizmet movement, a faith-based movement inspired by Islamic Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen, were asked to fill out those questionnaires, other students were given separate questionnaires that did not include any questions linked to the prep schools they attended.

Last year, the father of a student wrote a complaint to the Education Ministry, asking why his child was given a questionnaire that asked about his prep school and teachers there. In his complaint, he said: “My son told me that an inspector visited their class and asked the teacher to leave the classroom. The students were given different questionnaires. My son and some other students, who attend the Kocatepe prep school [owned by the Hizmet movement], were asked questioned about their IDs, names of their teachers at the prep school and the relation between their school and the prep school. I am afraid that the questionnaire sought to blacklist my son and other students. I am both curious and concerned.”

In a separate case, a high school student petitioned the Ankara Governor’s Office after he was asked to fill out a questionnaire by Education Ministry inspectors. The student complained in his petition that he and some of his friends were given different questionnaires than other students. “The questionnaire even asked about the names of our teachers at the prep school. Why did the ministry need to carry out such questionnaires? Are we being blacklisted?”

The document came at a time when Turkey was discussing a government plan to close prep schools. Prep schools help Turkish students prepare for standardized high school and college entrance exams. Although preparatory schools in Turkey have played an important role in the education system for the past 30 years or so, the government has announced that all prep schools will be shut down at the end of the next school year. Prep schools can serve instead, the government said, as private schools in the future.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 2, 2013


Related News

Failing to arrest outspoken NBA star, Turkish gov’t detains father

Turkish police on Friday detained Prof. Dr. Mehmet Kanter, father of NBA Oklahoma City Thunder player Enes Kanter, who the government seeks to arrest over links to the Gülen movement. “HEY WORLD MY DAD HAS BEEN ARRESTED by Turkish government and the Hitler of our century He is potentially to get tortured as thousand others,” tweeted Enes Kanter on Friday.

Post-coup purge will affect Turkey’s education sector for decades

With more than 120,000 public workers suspended and nearly 40,000 people in prison, the aftermath of Turkey’s failed July 15 coup is being felt across every part of society, including its highest-ranked schools. The day after the coup attempt, 1,577 deans — working at nearly every university in the country — were forced to resign. An estimated 200,000 students were left in limbo after the closure of 15 universities and 1,043 private schools.

‘Everybody reads about Prophet Muhammad’

Anyone who wants to know and understand Prophet Muhammad from trustworthy sources can sign up for the project on the website www.herkesonuokuyor.com, and that the project offers examinations in three categories: middle school level, high school level and adult level. Middle school students will be tested from the book “Efendiler Efendisi Hz. Muhammed” by Rahime Kaya, while high school students will answer questions related to Reşit Haylamaz’s “Efendimiz” and adults will take an exam from “Sonsuz Nur” by M. Fethullah Gülen, Kuzu explained.

Turkish school in Philippines partners in a social project

The project aims to rehabilitate the regions academically and socially lagging behind the rest and assist children’s education in particular. Inaugurating the project, an event took place seeing the attendance of International Fountain Schools general manager Malik Gencer, The Philippines Turkish Chamber of Commerce Irfan Karabulut, Pacific Dialog’s president for Philippines Cihangir Arslan and The Philippine Gendarmerie’s commander for civic operations Colonel Arnulfo Marcelo B. Burgos alongside numerous commanders and NGO officials.

Gülen’s curse was misquoted, misinterpreted, GYV chief says

Mustafa Yeşil, chairman of the Journalists and Writers Foundation’s (GYV) executive board, in response to criticisms targeting prominent Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, said the curse uttered by Gülen did not have a direct reference and was poorly comprehended and highly manipulated by some who repeated it.

State government in Baden Wurttemberg in constructive dialogue with Hizmet volunteers

The nine-item inquiry proposed by five CDU (Christian Democratic Union) deputies to Baden Wurttemberg State Assembly has been responded by Ministry of Integration in cooperation with Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Office of the Prime Minister Undersecretary and Ministry of Education. Through the answers, the public, once again, has been affirmed that the Turkish-initiated schools have […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

New developments regarding Gülen movement

Islamic scholar Gülen offers condolences for those killed in Dağlıca attack

Couple jailed for watching Fethullah Gülen videos at Internet cafe

New university in Pakistan with Turkish collaboration

Nigerian Turkish schools denies links to Turkey coup

TUSKON brings S. African, Turkish firms together

Horrific Torture Details Emerge In Turkey’s Capital, A Lawyer Reveals

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News