RTÜK issues fines to intimidate Samanyolu TV


Date posted: June 4, 2014

The Supreme Board of Radio and Television (RTÜK) has been harassing TV networks that it deems to be anti-government, and Samanyolu TV has become one of its major targets.

Ahead of the March 30 elections, television stations owned by Samanyolu Yayın Grubu were given broadcasting suspension punishments for alleged violations of the RTÜK rules. The group has been fined TL 1,322,492 in total for 55 administrative fines issued by the body. Both Samanyolu TV and the the news station Samanyolu Haber TV have been fined astronomical amounts over alleged violations of broadcasting laws.

The fines have mostly come following the Dec. 17, 2013 corruption operation, in which several businessmen close to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the sons of three ministers were detained over corruption charges. The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government declared that the allegations — most of which have been backed by voice recordings that were leaked online — were a coup attempt. Erdoğan has accused the Hizmet movement to be behind the allegations, and has vowed to crush it. Samanyolu is associated with the Hizmet movement.

President of the Samanyolu Broadcasting Group Hidayet Karaca in a tweet accused the RTÜK of acting only on the basis of politics. He also tweeted: “God sees all that is going on. Cruelty never stands. Even if the season seems to be fall, spring flowers have already blossomed.” He said when the “days in which the independent agencies of democracy will be able to function, those who have backed injustice will experience huge embarrassment.”

Karaca said the fines were an attempt to silent the network. “Samanyolu is under pressure that is unprecedented in history. They are trying to silence [us].”

Source: Todays Zaman , June 4, 2014


Related News

‘Who do you like most, Erdoğan or Gülen?’ Turkish teacher asks primary school students

A religious culture and moral knowledge teacher at a Turkish primary school has asked students about their preference between President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, parents complain. Evrensel daily quoted parents as saying that students aging between 9 to 10, become cold of religious culture courses and prefer not to attend in classes amid similar incidents.

Think Twice on Turkey: Erdogan’s Purges Are a Warning to Washington

“Whatever the merits of the government’s claims about the movement’s role in the coup, which Gülen himself denies, the speed and scale of the dismissals make it clear that many of those affected by the purge are caught up in it not because there is clear evidence of their involvement in the coup but merely because of their perceived association with the Gülen movement.”

American academic: Hizmet Movement serves for entire humanity

Speaking at a cenference in the southern province of Antalya, Soltes shared his observations about the Hizmet Movement. “I saw this on every people I met: I see that everybody, who is inspired by Gülen’s thoughts, help people with no thought of personal gain,” said Soltes adding that Hizmet Movement serves for entire humanity in the world.

Kimse Yok Mu extends helping hand to orphans in eastern Turkey

Charity organization Kimse Yok Mu continues its campaign in the holy month of Ramadan. Volunteers from the KYM went to the southeastern province of Diyarbakır on Tuesday and delivered aid boxes economically disadvantaged citizens.

Turkey Should Protect All Prisoners from Pandemic

Terrorism may sound like the gravest of offenses, but in Turkey, the government misuses the charge for political ends. Many inmates are placed in lengthy pretrial detention or sentenced without evidence.

Lies in the “Research” by Der Spiegel

MAHMUT ÇEBİ  August 8, 2012 Fethullah Gülen has so far been designated with numerous titles: Islamist, pro-Christian, pro-sharia, pro-Vatican, pro-ummah, pro-Turan (Turkish ethnic nationalist), pro-American, pro-Israel, Calvinist, etc. Those who never listened to him or read his books have attacked him with as many defamations as they wished. But these decades-long groundless attacks have never […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Alevi associations react against halt of mosque-cemevi project

Officials involved in illegal deportation of Turkish teachers indicted by Kosovar court

Being the conscience of a nation

CHP deputy calls Erdoğan’s order to bring down Hizmet ‘crime’

Turkey’s Judicial Purge Threatens the Rule of Law

Turkey Continues Its Witch Hunt Against Gülen Followers

Albania: Erdoğan given appropriate response to ‘political’ request on Turkish schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News