Calgarian held in Turkish prison granted a lawyer but confined to solitary

Davud Hanci, Calgarian arrested in Turkey following failed coup attempt.
CALGARY HERALD
Davud Hanci, Calgarian arrested in Turkey following failed coup attempt. CALGARY HERALD


Date posted: November 3, 2016

RYAN RUMBOLT

After nearly three months in solitary confinement, the Calgary man accused of trying to overthrow the Turkish government finally has a lawyer.

Calgary-based Imam Davud Hanci was arrested on allegations that he was the mastermind behind a failed coup attempt in July to remove Turkish President Recep Erdogan from power — allegations Hanci’s family called “ridiculous.”

After months of silence, Hanci’s relatives were met with good and bad news about the case: Hanci finally has a lawyer, but he has been held in solitary confinement for nearly three months.

“No one can see him, no one can talk to him,” Hanci’s friend and fellow Imam Malik Muradov said. “It’s scary given the fact that there are some reports of torture in Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.”

Hanci’s sister-in-law, Ruveyda Durmus, said the Calgary man has been made into a scapegoat for the coup, and Muradov said he is concerned his friend might be forced through torture to admit to crimes he did not commit.

“They’re just trying to put it on someone,” Durmus said. “I hope (the Turkish government) go to court and they pay for it, because they definitely arrested the wrong person.”

Durmus said Hanci’s sister goes to visit her brother every day, and every day she is denied access. Durmus said the sister is allowed to leave money for Hanci so he is able to buy basic necessities while in prison.

While communication with Hanci’s lawyer is still spotty, the family is hopeful the Canadian government will continue to put pressure on Turkey. Hanci’s wife and children have left Calgary to stay with Durmus in Ontario to be closer to Ottawa.

The case was brought up in the House of Commons earlier this month by MP for Calgary Shepard Tom Kmiec, who asked the minister of foreign affairs what is being done to bring Hanci home.

The minister’s Parliamentary Secretary, Omar Alghabra, said he has been in communication with Turkish officials at “the highest levels” and the government is committed to bringing Hanci home.

Since the failed coup attempt, Erdogan declared a 90-day state of emergency allowing the Turkish government to rule by decree.

Under the crackdowns, judges are allowed to restrict terrorism suspects’ access to lawyers as well as record the conversations between suspects and their lawyers. On Saturday, Erdogan extended the state of emergency for another 90 days, hinting that it could be extended to more than a year.

More than 10,000 government employees and public servants have been dismissed, 170 news outlets and agencies have been shut down and more than 100 journalists have been imprisoned.

Muradov said Erdogan’s crackdowns are moving Turkey closer to a dictatorship than a democracy, with the president moving further from western ideals.

“It‘s total control right now – it’s a one-man show,” Muradov said. “Everything he says is the law . . . whoever doesn’t submit is in trouble.”

State of emergency latest decrees and dismissals:

  • Terrorism suspects restricted access to lawyers
  • Conversations between terrorism suspects and their lawyers can be recorded
  • More than 10,000 government employees dismissed in the past three months
    • 2,534 personnel from the Justice Ministry
    • 2,219 from the Education Ministry
    • 2,774 from the Health Ministry
    • 1,267 from higher education institutions
    • 101 from the armed forces
  • 170 media outlets shut down
  • 105 journalists imprisoned
  • Over 700 press credentials revoked

Source: Calgary Herald , October 30, 2016


Related News

Police waiting at hospital to detain Kayseri woman after childbirth

Turkish police have been waiting inside Kayseri-based Tekden Hospital to detain Zeynep Toptaş, who just gave birth to her child, over alleged links to the Gülen movement, according to media on Sept 3.

The Fate of Turkmenistan’s Gülenists

Myrat says he feels safe now in the United States, but feels heartbroken for his friends who couldn’t escape. “It’s so sad. You cry. And for what? Going to a school, reading some books.”

German ambassador: Berlin does not recognize Gülen movement as ‘terrorist’ group

German Ambassador to Turkey Martin Erdmann has said his country’s judiciary does not recognize the Gülen movement as a terrorist organization and that Turkey should present credible evidence of criminal activity to Germany for the extradition of Gülen-linked individuals.

The Gülen movement: advocators of interfaith activities in Turkey

To cover up the [corruption] investigations, the newspapers close to the government use many derogatory labels for the movement, such as “promoters of light or moderate Islam,” “the protestantization of Islam,” “collaborators and allies of foreign intelligence agencies,” and “Christian missionaries under an Islamic guise.”

Daily Sabah rehashes decades-old, refuted claims against Gülen

In what is seen as a smear campaign against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, the pro-Erdoğan English-language Daily Sabah has rehashed old and refuted claims that Gülen is somehow linked to a 2006 attack on the Turkish Council of State by Alparslan Arslan, a lawyer who carried out the armed assault.

Mosque-cemevi project halted due to government’s ‘parallel paranoia’

Turkey’s first-ever complex housing both a mosque and a cemevi, an Alevi house of worship, has become the latest victim in the battle launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against the Gülen movement after the Mamak Municipality refused to grant a certificate of occupancy to the complex on the grounds that it was built with “parallel funds.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish school graduates in Bosnia now teachers at alma maters

Le Monde: Ankara offered Senegalese government $7.5 million to transfer Yavuz Selim educational group to Maarif

Erdoğan Is Destroying Turkey’s Hopes for Democracy

A festival in Houston: Silk road festival

Practicing Muslims and negotiating with the Kurdists

Gülen’s lawyer refutes Erdoğan’s claims as baseless

Municipality shuts down three reading halls in Adıyaman

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News