Le Monde: Ankara offered Senegalese government $7.5 million to transfer Yavuz Selim educational group to Maarif


Date posted: December 12, 2017

Parents of Senegalese children attending schools run by followers of U.S.-based Turkish preacher Fethullah Gülen – the man blamed for last year’s coup attempt in Turkey – are worried by reports these schools could be handed over to Turkish government control, news website Quartz said.

“I don’t even know who Gülen or (Turkish President Recep Tayyip) Erdoğan are,” mother Oury Mbaye told the website following reports her child’s school could be handed over to the Turkish government-controlled Maarif Foundation.

“If they are imposing managers on me that have no experience in education, I will transfer my children to a French school. I did not choose Maarif, and they won’t impose anything on me.”

Erdoğan’s Islamist government used to see the Gülen religious movement’s overseas educational activities as a way to project Turkish soft power. But the group fell out dramatically with the government in 2013, when prosecutors said to be linked to the movement began investigating ministers on corruption charges.

The Turkish government now considers the group a terrorist organisation and accuses it of masterminding the failed 2016 coup attempt.

Le Monde newspaper said Ankara had offered the Senegalese government $7.5 million to transfer the Yavuz Selim educational group to Maarif.

But Education Minister Serigne Mbaye Thiam denied the report, saying that Senegal had only licensed Maarif to be able to set up its own schools, Quartz said.

Source: Ahvalnews , December 11, 2017


Related News

Fethullah Gulen’s Message of Condolences and Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against Mosque in Egypt

This terrorist attack that took place during a prayer on a Friday, a sacred day for Muslims, shows that the curse of terrorism has no respect for anything sacred, whether a church or mosque. Islam cannot be related to any such murderous acts. A true Muslim cannot be a terrorist and a terrorist cannot be a true Muslim.

Turkish schools in Romania celebrate 20th year

Schools established by Turkish entrepreneurs in Romania celebrated their 20th year during the finale of the Turkish Olympiads in Bucharest on Wednesday.

Media and education challenge in Afghanistan

The resurgence of violence, a stubbornly lingering narcotic-financing chain and growing economic difficulties in Afghanistan have put a damper on optimism for the future of the country, yet I believe hope is still strong among the resilient Afghan people and certainly there is no shortage of success stories that will keep them going.

Report reveals repercussions of AK Party fight against Gülen movement in Africa

A report released by the prestigious London-based think tank Chatham House has praised the efforts of the faith-based Gülen movement in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), saying that it has been a major driving force of Turkey’s engagement in the region; however, it has warned that the Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) ongoing battle against the movement may hamper further Turkish presence there.

Libyan minister would like to see Turkish teachers, schools in his country

Libya’s minister of higher education said on Thursday he would welcome the establishment of Turkish schools in his country. Naim Ghariani, Libya’s minister of higher education, said his country would like to see the opening of Turkish schools and would welcome Turkish teachers and students. Encouraged by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Turkish entrepreneurs have […]

Inability to generate values

Many are quick to note that Turkey does not have a worldwide brand. It is true that this country, with a population of about 70 million, has virtually no world-class brand. Some people are trying to destroy the few brands it does have (such as Turkish schools — which are run by Turkish entrepreneurs inspired by the ideas of well-respected Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen).

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish schools open up trade channels too

Liberia Turkish Relations Gets Boost with Dialogue Center

İstanbul woman suffers miscarriage in police custody

Inside Turkey’s Purge

Erdoğan Is Destroying Turkey’s Hopes for Democracy

Canberra followers of Fethullah Gulen afraid to return to Turkey

Social, legal sanctions needed in fight against domestic violence

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News