Berlin mayor accuses Turkey of waging war on Gulen supporters in Germany


Date posted: August 14, 2016

Brandon Conradis

Berlin’s Governing Mayor, Michael Müller, has accused Ankara of extending its post-coup crackdown to Germany. The Turkish president has accused a US-based activist of initiating the coup.

Müller, who as governing mayor is premier of the state of Berlin, told the Sunday edition of German newspaper “Bild” that Turkish officials had approached him following the attempted coup last month.

“I was approached and asked by a Turkish government official, whether we would be prepared to critically confront the Gulen movement in Berlin and, if necessary, to support measures against it,” Müller told the newspaper.

“I rejected the idea and made it very clear that Turkish conflicts could not be waged in our city,” he added.

In Germany, businesses thought to be in support of Gulen have been harrassed by Erdogan supporters. In late July, the western city of Cologne was the scene of a massive demonstration in support of Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Crackdown continues

Erdogan blames the July coup attempt on US-based cleric, Fethullah Gulen, who has adamantly denied the claims. On Friday, Gulen penned an editorial in French newspaper “Le Monde,” calling on Erdogan to produce evidence of his guilt.

Meanwhile, in Turkey, Erdogan has purged tens of thousands of academics, journalists, civil servants and military personnel, he suspects of supporting Gulen.

Erdogan has also repeatedly called on the US to extradite the cleric.

Source: Deutsche Welle , August 14, 2016


Related News

Mongolian teacher Galimbek’s message

Because we have been unable to become a regular and normal democracy, every generation and every social segment has once been defined as a domestic enemy in different periods. One of the things that the clandestine structures governing the old Turkey did best was to declare part of the people as an internal enemy and to launch effective propaganda to undermine their image in the eyes of the people.

Extradite Gülen? Really?

Enter the current coup plot. Erdogan literally has blamed every obstacle, fanciful plot, and malfeasance upon the elderly cleric. He fingered him in last Friday’s attempted coup even before the smoke settled. Increasingly, it seems the Obama administration might actually take the Turkish president seriously.

Romanian Minister of Education gives Turkish Schools Teachers a Standing Ovation

In Romania students and teachers that ranked highly at the 2011-2012 international Olympiads were awarded during an official ceremony attended by Prime Minister Victor Ponta and Minister of Education, Ecaterina Andronescu. Out of the 138 award-winning students, 44 were from the Turkish school in Romania, Lumina Educational Institutions. After the Lumina students won one-third of […]

No country is safe for Gülen sympathizers, Erdoğan says

“No country, no region anywhere in the world, is a safe haven for FETÖ [an acronym the government has been using to refer to the Gülen movement] and militants,” said Erdoğan during a press conference at İstanbul Atatürk Airport, before flying to New York for the UN General Assembly.

Municipality illegally demolishes building in İstanbul

Workers from the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality have demolished a small, prefabricated shelter on land that belongs to the Hizmet-affiliated Mehtap Education Foundation, despite the lack of official permission to carry out the demolition.

Mysteries, and a Crackdown, Persist a Year After a Failed Coup in Turkey

Mr. Erdogan’s own statements have also raised questions about the sequence of events. In an account posted on the president’s website, Mr. Erdogan said he was first warned of unusual military activity at 4:30 p.m. by his brother-in-law. He tried to contact Mr. Fidan and Mr. Akar around 5 p.m., he said but was unable to reach either of them.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s media watchdog asks Albanian counterpart to restrict Gülen documentary

Pundits: plans to close down Turkish schools abroad arbitrary, political vandalism

RTÜK fines Samanyolu for news about boy named after Gülen

Turkish Schools, an Honor for Host Countries

Slain prosecutor’s daughter: My father was not with Gülen movement

Threat to destroy the Hizmet Movement a hate crime

66 U.S. senators sign letter asking Turkey to release Pastor Andrew Brunson

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News