Alleged Hizmet link in Hablemitoğlu murder a lie, says widow

Prof. Dr. Şengül Hablemitoğlu
Prof. Dr. Şengül Hablemitoğlu


Date posted: August 2, 2014

The wife of murdered academic Necip Hablemitoğlu has said a recent attempt to establish a connection between the assassination of her husband and the Hizmet movement is an effort to turn her against the movement.

Şengül Hablemitoğlu, the widow of Necip Hablemitoğlu, a professor of history known for his Kemalist stance and opposition to gold mining who was killed in 2002, spoke to the Vatan daily on Wednesday. She discussed veiled attempts by government-controlled media to suggest that the Hizmet movement is behind her husband’s murder. Some newspapers have claimed that she has made statements suggesting that the murder might be linked to Hizmet, a religiously inspired civil society movement in Turkey.

She told Vatan that she has never made any such allegations, and noted that the quotation attributed to her was taken out of context from an earlier statement. The real issue, she said, is that her husband’s murder has been awaiting a thorough investigation for 12 years.

Necip Hablemitoğlu was killed outside his Ankara home on Dec. 18, 2002. Ergenekon, a crime network that has links within the state and has attempted to topple the government, is suspected of having masterminded the murder. Ergenekon trial suspect Osman Yıldırım had claimed that Osman Gürbüz — another suspect — had carried out the murder after being contracted by Ergenekon suspects Veli Küçük and Muzaffer Tekin.

Durmuş Anuçin, another Ergenekon suspect who was tried for five counts of murder, has said he committed the murder in collaboration with İbrahim Çiftçi, who died in a bomb explosion in İzmir in 2006.

The Hablemitoğlu murder investigation ended without reaching a conclusion. Earlier this week, the Akşam daily reported that the Ankara Prosecutor’s Office is now reopening the case.

Government-controlled media have implied that Hizmet, a movement increasingly hated by the government since the exposure of alleged government corruption in December of last year, is behind the murder. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has stated that the graft allegations against his inner circle are part of an attempt to overthrow the government and has accused a “parallel structure” — a term he uses to denote Hizmet — of being behind it.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 01, 2014


Related News

Teacher tortured to death by Turkish police found innocent, reinstated to job

Teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu, who was tortured to death while in police custody in the wake of a coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016 over alleged membership in the faith-based Gülen movement, was found innocent one-and-a-half years later and “reinstated” to his job.

Police raid prominent journalists’ foundation GYV in Turkey

GYV’s members strongly protested the police measure. Underlining that the raid violated standard protocol, high-ranking GYV official Recep Usta expressed; “the protocol states that VGM technical teams can come to the building and conduct examinations; and should they find any violation, a period of a month is granted to us [to fix any issues].

AKP deputy calls on Turkey’s religious officials to declare Gülen followers apostates

Ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) İstanbul deputy Metin Külünk has said Turkey’s top religious officials should declare supporters of the Gülen movement apostates, the Yeniakit daily reported on Monday. Erdoğan himself has called Gülen movement people “terrorists,” “traitors,” “vampires,” “leeches,” “tumors” and “viruses.”

Teacher abducted from Malaysia subjected to beating, torture in Ankara: cellmate

Alaaddin Duman, a teacher in Malaysia who was abducted by Turkish intelligence agency over his links to the Gulen movement in 2016, has been subjected to beating, torture and death threats during pre-trial custody in Ankara, according his cellmate.

Newly launched book tells stories of purge victims after Turkey’s July 15 coup

A recently published book tells the stories of people who, following a military coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016, were victims of a government-led crackdown carried out under the pretext of an anti-coup fight.

UN to Turkey: Free and Compensate Gulen-linked Detainees

Turkey must release two men detained over suspected links to a cleric blamed for a 2016 coup attempt and pay them compensation for arbitrary detention, a UN body said on Wednesday.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

‘Turkish schools are excellent good will ambassadors for Turkey’

Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet Movement by Ori Soltes, Georgetown University

What is wrong with the ‘Muslim’ world?

AK Party Deputy Chairman Huseyin Celik: Turkish teachers beat the odds

Turkish school shelters locals in earthquake-hit Nepal

Why Is A Cleric In The Poconos Accused Of Fomenting Turkey’s Coup Attempt?

At least 275 including elderly woman detained over Gulen links over past day

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News