AK Party İstanbul head: Purge in state institutions began long before


Date posted: February 3, 2014

ANKARA

A prominent figure in the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has revealed that the elimination of Hizmet movement sympathizers from state institutions started long before the breaking of a graft probe on Dec. 17 of last year, which the government claims was an attempt to destabilize the government with the help of the Hizmet movement.

“Actually, this picture [within state institutions] was demonstrated before Dec. 17 by the MİT [National Intelligence Organization] crisis of Feb. 7 [of 2012, in which prosecutors issued a summons for MİT’s undersecretary]. In fact, it had been noticed earlier that this infiltration and the establishment of this parallel structure in the National Police Department, the judiciary and other state institutions, their acting as though they were part of another organization, was causing problems, and a process of elimination [of those parts of the Hizmet movement] had already been launched,” Aziz Babuşcu, head of the AK Party’s İstanbul branch, said on the CNN Türk television channel on Jan. 30.

Babuşcu, who said no state would accept becoming the instrument of a religious community or being taken over by such a community, maintained on the program 360 Derece (360 Degrees) that the state did what was needed to be done as a reflex action.

The Hizmet movement is a religious community inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Maintaining that the reassignment of thousands of people in the police force and dozens in the judiciary since the breaking of the corruption probe, in which four former ministers of the AK Party have also been implicated, should not be considered routine reassignments, Babuşcu said: “This is a process which should be considered as a natural reflex of a state to eliminate this [parallel] structure. And this state must settle this issue. It has to settle it for the sake of the survival of the state.”
Construction period will not be as they desire

Babuşcu had already signaled, in a speech he delivered on April 1, 2013, that people allegedly connected with the Hizmet movement would be eliminated from public institutions. Babuşcu had revealed, at a meeting of the İstanbul Suriçi Group Association, taking place at a hotel in the Topkapı district, that the ruling AK Party would part ways with some groups in the future, saying, “Those who, in some way or another, were stakeholders with us during our 10-year rule will not be our stakeholders in the next 10 years.”

Noting that in the past 10 years of AK Party rule, some groups, such as the liberals, had acted as partners of the ruling party although those groups, in one way or another, did not accept all of the party’s values, Babuşcu emphasized that the future would be a period in which they would construct a new Turkey.

He said: “The construction period will not be the kind of period they want. So, those stakeholders will not be with us [in the future]. Those who previously acted, in some way or another, with us, will, in the future, act with powers that are against us. Because the Turkey that will be constructed [from now on] and the future that will be built will not be a future and a period that they will accept.”

Source: Todays Zaman , February 3, 2014


Related News

Turkey crackdown: Gulen sympathizers abroad are feeling the heat

Turkey’s relentless pursuit of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen’s supporters during the past four months – both at home and abroad – has now resulted in Turkish military personnel serving at NATO bases seeking asylum, fearing persecution if they return home.

This man stood up to Trump. In Turkey he was branded a terrorist

for Fatih Yildirim, the Muslim dad in the picture, becoming a viral sensation has been bittersweet. While he was lauded in global media outlets as diverse as Time and Good Housekeeping, back in his native Turkey Yildirim became the subject of a hostile media campaign that branded him a terrorist.

Academic freedom at universities under growing threat

Süleyman Yaşar, a former columnist at the Sabah daily who has a broad vision regarding the economic policy of the current government, was fired from the outlet for not criticizing the Hizmet movement [the faith-based organization inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen]

Kimse Yok Mu purchases houses for 11 Soma families

MUSTAFA KUŞEN / MANISA The Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) has financed the purchase of houses for the families of 11 miners who were among 301 killed in a mining disaster in the district of Soma in western Manisa province in May. On May 13 Turkey was shocked by an explosion and […]

Debate over Turkish government move on prep schools grows

The debate over the Turkish government’s move to shut down private prep schools is growing with a battle of words between the administration and private education representatives. Self-exiled Islamic scholar Gülen, on the other hand, asked his followers “to be resolute and not yield to despair,” in a speech posted on herkul.org, a website that broadcasts his speeches.

Islamic scholar Gülen’s family criticizes PM’s offensive language

Kemal Gülen addressed allegations about the scholar’s financial situation, explaining that Fethullah Gülen resides at a facility that belongs to a foundation and for which he pays rent, rejecting the claim that the scholar owns the property.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Sweep these [journalists] off the floor

“Time to Help” launched in England

Fethullah Gülen Offers Antidote For Terror

Is man living in Pennsylvania responsible for Turkey coup attempt?

US avoids commenting on Gülen’s extradition

Coup plotter or moderate religious leader? Finnish State TV Yle meets Turkey’s most wanted man

Brazil court orders release of Gulen-linked businessman accused by Ankara of terrorism

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News