Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (1)

Emre Uslu
Emre Uslu


Date posted: January 1, 2012

Within Turkey’s ultranationalist camps, supporters of the Kemalist system have already extended their support to the Ergenekon network. So there is a sizable community in Turkey that believes whatever is said by a suspect in the Ergenekon case.

Emre Uslu, Wednesday 28 December 2011

The Odatv trial has finally begun after months of waiting. The time between the first arrest and the beginning of the trial was a very long time and reason for widespread complaint. This time is not only problematic for the suspects who may have spent excessive time in prison — and may not even be found guilty at the end of their trial — it is also a problem for prosecutors who have arrested well-known suspects.

During this period, suspects have used media outlets to spread their message to the public and create the image that they are not guilty but are imprisoned because of their political stance. There are many people in Turkey who spent years behind bars because they did not have media influence.

The former guardians of the republic — military generals, deep state operatives and Ergenekon suspects — have well-maintained relations with media outlets. Kurdish Communities Union (KCK) suspects who have access to Kurdish media outlets (not foot soldiers; Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants do not have such connections) have also spread their messages to the media and formed communities to support them during their trials, as well as campaigned to improve their public relations. Once they form their base in a community, even if they are found guilty, they are actually victorious because the public perceives that “the court found them guilty because it was politically oriented.”

These defendants visit TV stations almost every evening to explain that their clients are not guilty of anything; they were imprisoned because of politically oriented prosecutors or police. The prosecutors do not have the privilege of presenting their cases on TV or to other media outlets. Technically it is not allowed to share the details of the KCK case. So the prosecutors or police leak some of their evidence to the media in order to defend themselves indirectly, while the defendants use every opportunity to directly build public relations campaigns.

The Ergenekon trials are one of the most well-known examples of this phenomenon. The defendants in the Ergenekon trial, most of whom have previously established relations with media outlets, have used the media to explain their position to the public, not the courts. They even extended their public relations campaigns to the capitals of European countries and Washington, D.C., where they sent supporters to use media relations that were established back when they were active members of the military or bureaucracy. They are able to win support from Western capitals and use them to exert pressure in Turkey. For instance, to increase Western support for Ergenekon’s media presence in the trial that began on Monday, known as the Odatv case, some Ergenekon-friendly Turkish journalists who normally tweet in Turkish were tweeting in English to maintain already-established support from the West.

One should admit that the pro-Ergenekon network worked very hard to build support in Western capitals. Now there are many people in the West who think that the Ergenekon trial has imprisoned anti-Justice and Development Party (AK Party) individuals not because of their guilt, but because of their opposition to the AK Party government.

Within Turkey’s ultranationalist camps, supporters of the Kemalist system have already extended their support to the Ergenekon network. So there is a sizable community in Turkey that believes whatever is said by a suspect in the Ergenekon case.

The last Ergenekon campaign was launched when journalists Ahmet Şık and Nedim Şener were arrested and accused of alleged links to the Odatv media outlet, which is widely believed to be an organization that is connected with elements of the deep state. Şık’s arrest was further exaggerated because he was allegedly writing a book against the Gülen movement’s influence in the police force. Şık was arrested to prevent his book from being published.

I will continue to write on this subject in my next article.

Source: Today’s Zaman http://www.todayszaman.com/columnist-267027-ahmet-siks-book-and–ergenekons-media-campaign-1.html


Related News

Turkey squandered historic opportunity to achieve democracy, says Gülen

Stressing that In Turkey or elsewhere, authoritarian rulers have exploited the differences within the society to polarize various groups against each other, Gülen said “citizens should come together around universal human rights and freedoms and be able to democratically oppose those who violate these rights.”

Amnesty: Civil society under massive crackdown in Turkey, Gülen movement main target

An annual report released by Amnesty International on Wednesday has said a failed coup attempt in July prompted a massive crackdown on civil society in Turkey and that the faith-based Gülen movement has been the main target.

Pro-gov’t daily claims White House held special session on Gülen

Pro-government Turkish daily Takvim claimed in a Friday report that the White House held a special session on Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is based in the US, in September 2014.

Arrested journalist: I am on guard duty for democracy

Samanyolu TV Group General Manager Hidayet Karaca, who has been under arrest since a government-backed police operation against independent media outlets on Dec. 14, 2014, stated in a letter on Monday that his imprisonment for the last 66 days without legal justification is a result of his being on guard duty for democracy.

76 newborns stateless as Turkey denies passports over parents’ Gülen links

Seventy-six babies have been born stateless in the last three months because Turkish diplomatic missions are denying consular services to people allegedly linked to the faith-based Gülen movement according to a report released by the Netherlands-based Institute on Statelessness and Inclusion (ISI) on Monday.

1,000 families provided with meat Kimse Yok Mu in Ankara

International charity organization Kimse Yok Mu distributed sacrificed meat to a total of 1,000 families during the Eid al-Adha in Ankara on Thursday. Families received meat in boxes which were paid for the donations from benevolent Turkish people at one of the offices of the KYM in Mamak district.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

“Reserve in your heart a seat for all” – Friendship Dinner in Rochester, NY

German intelligence did not warn against Hizmet Movement

Police waiting at hospital to detain İzmir woman after childbirth

Erdoğan’s ‘non-precious’ loneliness

Gov’t discriminates against Hizmet-affiliated private schools

Fethullah Gulen’s “old friend” detained by İzmir police despite suffering from advanced Alzheimer’s disease

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Sri Lanka Explosions

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News