Anonymous witnesses fail to identify suspects they earlier tipped off as Gulenist


Date posted: November 10, 2017

An anonymous witness in Denizli failed to identify any of the 145 suspects, earlier accused of being followers of the Gulen movement, during a court hearing on Oct. 30.

The secret witness, called Aslan, told during the court appearance that he doesn’t know the suspects by name but that he is sure about their affiliations to the movement.

“If you tell me all the names, I will tell you the ones that I knew,” Aslan said.

The judge in charge loudly read the names, however Aslan did not remember any of them. The judge asked: “Did you tip off about some names during your statement to the prosecutor, is that right?” and Aslan responded positively.

Another witness, named as Battal, said he knew only two of the suspects. “I have known M.C.P. for long. I have never seen him attending to gatherings by the terrorist organization. And about T.I., I know him as a follower of the F..O who attended their gatherings and volunteered as a host in some events organized by them. I saw him attending to those gatherings for many times,” he said.

145 suspects in Denizli, mostly businessmen, are accused of links to the movement, which the government blames for the July 15, 2016 coup attempt and considers a terrorist organization. 79 of those suspects were remanded in prison pending trial while the remaining are subject to trial without arrest.

The movement denies role in the failed takeover and terror accusations.

Already jailed more than 55,000 people over Gulen links, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier called on citizens to report Gulenists to police whenever they see one. Friends, colleagues and even spouses are reporting each other to law enforcement in Turkey as polarization in the society has intensified since the July 15 coup attempt. In one occasion, a man in a small Aegean district of Turkey turned his girlfriend in to the police, alleging she is a Gülen movement sympathizer, after his proposal of marriage was rejected.

 

 

Source: Turkey Purge , November 2, 2017


Related News

Prominent businessman Akın İpek pledges huge support to Kimse Yok Mu

A huge support campaign has grown to back Kimse Yok Mu after the recent Cabinet decree which banned the charity’s ability to accept public donations without government approval. Koza İpek Holding Chairman Akın İpek has donated 1000 animals for Eid al-Adha, the Feast of the Sacrifice.

Former director of Turkish schools in Pakistan and his family kidnapped

Former director of Pak-Turk Schools in Pakistan Mesut Kaçmaz and his family were reportedly kidnapped in Lahore on Wednesday, the Daily Pakistan reported. Another person, Fatih Avcı, who was also abducted and later released, said their heads were covered with bags.

Turkish coup was Erdogan ‘gift’

Erdogan became quite successful in his two very basic goals right after the coup. First and foremost, for putting all the blame squarely on the Hizmet movement, led by Gulen, and then carrying on a huge cover-up to hide other segments of the coup plotters. The problem is, while he has been quite successful in Turkey – he was not able to convince many in Europe and in the US.

Turkish official says 252 companies seized over Gülen links

The companies are alleged to be connected to the Gülen movement, a civic initiative based in Turkey, with the government coining the term “FETÖ” to designate the movement a terrorist organization despite the lack of any court verdict to that effect. A court last week in fact ruled out the existence of such an organization named “FETÖ.”

Detained Woman Covers 50 Km Twice A Day To Feed One-Year Old Baby In Turkey

Şule Akkaya, a primary school teacher who was detained on June 1, 2017 as part of an investigation into the Gülen group, reportedly covers 40 to 50 km twice a day to breastfeed her one-year-old baby in Zonguldak.

Diverging points between AKP and Hizmet movement: Kurdish question

The fundamental difference Popp observed is that while the government has been trying to persuade the PKK to lay down its guns, the Gulen movement goes one step further and works to remove the social and cultural problems that caused the Kurdish problem.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Zaman newspaper: Turkey police raid press offices in Istanbul

Int’l scholars discuss ijtihad, qiyas at İstanbul symposium

Interfaith Conference – Peace Islands Institute in Connecticut

Romanian appeals court denies Turkey’s request for extradition of Erdoğan critic

Turks, Rio de Janeiro gov’t sign agreement to further education efforts in Brazil

Turkey: Detained higher education professionals at risk of torture

Nigeria says asked by Turkey to extradite over 1000 people

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News