More Academics, Teachers, Charity Staff Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links


Date posted: April 20, 2017

Tens of academics, teachers, university staff and aid organization personnel were detained by police in Turkey over alleged links with Gülen movement.

At least 18 Sütçü İmam University academics and personnel have been detained over alleged links to the Gülen movement. Police carried out operations in three provinces –İstanbul, İzmir, Kahramanmaraş– to detain 18 from the Kahramanmaraş-based university.

Meanwhile, at least 14 executives of the Kimse Yok Mu aid organization’s local branch in Samsun province were detained as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement, on Tuesday. Police carried out operations in Samsun and Trabzon provinces to detain 14 suspects among them teachers and small business owners.

In the meantime, police in Bursa province took into custody 33 members and executives of the Irfan Educators Union, which was earlier closed down with a government decree over links to the movement.

Also, an Ankara couple has been sent to prison after they were caught watching videos belonging to US-based Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen at an internet cafe earlier this week. Acting on a tip from the internet café owner, police tailed the suspects — Y.M. and M.M. — and detained later them for watching the videos. The suspects were reportedly sent to an Ankara prison early on Wednesday.

Turkey experienced a military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed over 240 people. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with Turkey’s autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Some 115,000 have been detained over Gülen links since coup attempt while critics often raise the issue of guilt by association. More than 7,300 academics have already lost their jobs since July 15 either after being dismissed from their positions or after the government shuttered their universities. Gülen, meanwhile, strongly denies any involvement. (SCF with turkeypurge.com)

 

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , April 19, 2017


Related News

LDP leader says received ‘indecent proposal’ from pro-gov’t paper

“They said I would make the headline story of the newspaper if I agreed to speak to them about the existence and alleged activities of a parallel state. I rejected this indecent proposal. Let them keep their headlines and proposal,” the LDP leader said on Thursday, speaking to Today’s Zaman.

2014: a difficult year?

Turkey’s political life has entered a zone of turbulence. Some people were already accusing the governing team of being time worn, which is only normal after 11 consecutive years in power.

Is the Hizmet movement resisting normalization?

Accusing the Hizmet movement, which insistently demands the fulfillment of the steps towards democratization which I referred to above and contributes to the process of change as evidenced by its stance in the referendum, of serving as a parallel structure indirectly means: “I will not change myself and introduce universal reforms. You have to live with this painful fact for the normalization of the country and take your steps accordingly.”

Intel chief first gives anti-Hizmet file to Obama, then visits Gülen, STV president Karaca says

Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Undersecretary Hakan Fidan gave a file containing a plan to finish off the Hizmet movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen to US President Barack Obama and then the MİT head visited Gülen at his home in Pennsylvania, Samanyolu Media Group Chief Hidayet Karaca stated on Tuesday.

Kimse Yok Mu extends hand to Syrian refugees

Around 100 volunteer families from the organization deliver aid boxes to the Syrian refugees every week. Syrian people who are in need of proper assistance expressed their gratitude with the aid assistance.

ECtHR urges Albania not to deport Gülen follower to Turkey

The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) in Strasbourg sent an official request to Albania asking it not to deport a Turkish citizen who is known to be a follower of the Gülen movement to Turkey as his trial has not been concluded in Albania, the Tirana Times reported.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey coup attempt: Number of people detained passes 26,000 amid international concern over crackdown

American pastor jailed over Gülen links asks Trump to fight for his release

The tragic end of the witch hunt

Turkish Charity in Virginia send 30 thousand blankets to Syrian refugees

Hate crimes get worse in Turkey

Book Review: Faith, Theology and Service in Peacebuilding

Students visiting Turkey bid one another a teary farewell

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News