Dutch government calls on Turkish community to report threats by supporters of Turkish President Erdogan


Date posted: July 23, 2016

Janene Pieters

The government is calling on Turkish-Dutch citizens to report if they are threatened by supporters of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs wrote in a letter to parliament on Thursday, NU.nl reports.

An attempted coup in Turkey last week Friday led to demonstrations in the Netherlands, including in Rotterdam, Deventer, Tilburg and Zaandam. Several Turkish-Dutch people who openly support Fethullah Gulen – Erdogan’s rival and the man he believes is behind the attempted coup – reportedbeing threatened. Lists are also circulating on social media with names of businesses in the Netherlands that should be boycotted because of their sympathy with the Gulen movement.

“That is unacceptable. In a democratic state, everyone is free to express his opinion”, Koenders wrote. The government is therefore calling on the Turkish-Dutch community to report any threats made against them to the police. “It is important that signals are taken seriously and people who cross the line, can not do so freely.”

The government also called on the Turkish-Dutch community to keep a cool head and to prevent further escalation. The government is in close contact with Turkish organizations and municipalities where tensions are palpable.

Source: NL Times , July 22, 2106


Related News

Policeman who fought against putchists arrested while getting treatment at hospital

Ekrem Türk, a 34-year old police officer who fought to prevent the advance of army tanks in Turkish capital on the day of failed coup bid of July 15, 2016 was rounded up while he was getting treatment at a private hospital in Ankara.

Turkish PM admits did not know identity of putschists when he blamed Gülen movement

A year after a failed coup on July 15, 2016, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said he did not know who had attempted to carry out the coup when they blamed the Gülen movement, in an interview published in Hürriyet.

History of politically motivated assault on Bank Asya

The politically motivated operation aimed at taking over Bank Asya is one that has unfolded step by step, marked by public statements from President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan as well as other top Justice and Development Party (AK Party) officials.

Did Erdogan STAGE the coup?

‘Government should be won through a process of free and fair elections, not force,” Gulen said. “I pray to God for Turkey, for Turkish citizens, and for all those currently in Turkey that this situation is resolved peacefully and quickly.’ Gulen sharply rejected any responsibility: ‘As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt.

Turkey, ‘The Devil’s Advocate’ and ‘Titanic’

Questions to challenge the primary and unjustified premise: What judicial (or other) process determined that these corruption investigations were a coup attempt against the government? What proof or evidence do you have to support this most serious claim? What disciplinary process did you undertake to determine that the people that were purged were members and culprits of this ‘coup’? In the absence of evidence and disciplinary process how did you determine these people’s association with Hizmet? When is government corruption not a judicial coup? How can you have the right to unilaterally determine the intent and purpose of these ongoing judicial investigations when your government is implicated in them? If your government can purge over 7,000 police officers (and thereby affect and prevent these investigations) without evidence, due process or disciplinary procedure, do you not set a precedent for every future potentially corrupt government to follow?

Turkish police raid Zaman building, attempt to detain editor

The police reportedly came to detain Zaman daily editor-in-chief Ekrem Dumanlı. The officials said they could not “fulfill their tasks” because of the pressure and had to leave the building. Protesters chanted unceasing slogans such as “Free Media Cannot be Silenced.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

President Gül opens Turkish-Kazakh school in Astana

Kimse Yok Mu to stop beggary in Sakarya, Turkey

Police wait at hospital to detain cancer patient

Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel honors Fethullah Gulen with Peace Award

Religious leaders pray for world peace at meeting of civilizations

Fethullah Gulen Denies Coup Involvement

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement of Condolences and Condemnation for Manhattan Terrorist Attack

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News