Gülen appeals for steadfastness against gov’t ban on prep schools [in Turkey]

Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen.
Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen.


Date posted: November 17, 2013

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has asked his followers to be resolute and not yield to despair in the face of a government attempt to shut down private educational institutions [in Turkey] that assist students to prepare for high school and university admission examinations, which was interpreted as a major blow to the right to an education and to free enterprise in the EU-candidate country.

“The winds of opposition may blow, dispersing people in a sweep in many cases. People with a weak character may emerge and they, motivated by certain interests, may sway from side to side. In the face of what has been happening, it must be a hallmark for a believer to never be shaken, not to give in to despair and not to let himself be squashed,” Gülen said in a speech published on herkul.org, a website that frequently broadcasts his speeches.

Pointing out that there will always be people who will try to put obstacles in the path of the Hizmet movement, stemming from non-belief, jealousy or non-acceptance, Gülen urged people to be patient in the face of the government move. “One should be patient during tribulations,” he emphasized.

Calling for moderation in response to aggression and assaults, Gülen advised his followers to plead for patience and God’s help with prayer.

The government has finished work on the draft version of a law that foresees the closure of all types of prep schools, or dershanes, beginning with the 2013-2014 school year, and imposing fines on those that continue to operate.

The draft bill, reportedly prepared by undersecretary of the Ministry of Education, was leaked to the Zaman daily last week and the publication of the details led to public uproar. Educational institutions, unions, parent teacher associations, trade advocacy groups and opposition parties have said that they are opposed to the government plan, saying that shutting down privately funded prep schools would be a blow to free enterprise and the right to an education.

The government initially denied that the draft ever existed, but later admitted that there was a draft and claimed that it was the wrong version of the draft that appeared in the press. Education Minister Nabi Avcı and the ministry undersecretary, Yusuf Tekin, have given conflicting accounts of what the government actually intends to do regarding a blanket ban on prep schools and how it will do it.

According to the original draft provided to Zaman, prep schools will be given three years to become private schools. They are also prohibited from operating as study centers. If they do not transform themselves into private schools during this period, they will be closed down. A fine ranging from TL 500,000 to TL 1 million will be imposed on prep schools if they remain open.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 17, 2013


Related News

Gov’t media maintain attack on Bank Asya

Turkish daily Yeni Akit, with close links to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, reported on Sunday that Bank Asya extended loans to certain Turkish-owned companies abroad and failed to collect these loan debts.

Neither conservative nor democrat

Media campaigns, accusations and the prime minister’s statements about the leader of the movement are of unprecedented scale in Turkey. Filing records on sympathizers of the Gülen movement, removing them from public offices they happen to occupy, attacking its financial institutions; none of this has ever been seen in the past regarding Islamic movements.

[VIDEO] Turkish philosophy teacher says wife had to give birth at home due to Erdogan’s witch-hunt

A Turkish philosophy teacher, named Yasin, has said in a video documentary that his wife had to give birth to their 4th child at home due to an arrest warrant the government issued against them over their suspected ties to the Gulen movement.

Fethullah Gulen Acquitted

The Turkish Supreme Court of Appeals has rejected the Chief Prosecutor’s Office’s objection to the acquittal of scholar Fethullah Gulen, which was upheld by the appeals court in early March. Gulen had been charged with “establishing an illegal organization”. The objection was soundly defeated by a 16 to 7 vote. Fethullah Gulen’s acquittal has been […]

Deported Turkish Teacher Was Denied Political Asylum, DP Calls For Independent Investigation

The Turkish teacher who was deported to Turkey on 1 January had requested political asylum, but the request was denied.

Fethullah Gulen: I Condemn All Threats to Turkey’s Democracy

I have been advocating for democracy for decades. Having suffered through four military coups in four decades in Turkey — and having been subjected by those military regimes to harassment and wrongful imprisonment — I would never want my fellow citizens to endure such an ordeal again. If somebody who appears to be a Hizmet sympathizer has been involved in an attempted coup, he betrays my ideals.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

We’ll kiss the hands of those who tell us our shortcomings

Fethullah Gülen always supported settlement process, lawyer says

DUTCH MP’S FURIOUS ABOUT PRESSURE FROM TURKISH AMBASSADOR

Mr. Gülen’s felicitous advice on Kurdish issue, freedoms

Angela Merkel, Meeting With Erdogan in Turkey, Emphasizes Free Speech

2017 Victoria Parliament Iftar dinner

Pro-gov’t circles intensify hypocritical propaganda targeting Gülen movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News