Veteran who lost legs in PKK attack removed from civil service over Gulen links


Date posted: September 19, 2016

A Kırıkkale man who lost his both legs in a PKK attack while doing military service in the eastern province of Bingöl, has been sacked from a state institution after authorities found out that private colleges linked to Gülen Movement granted scholarship to his children.

The movement stands accused of orchestrating the July 15 coup attempt despite its successive denials. The government meanwhile carries out an ever-growing witch-hunt against any individual allegedly suspected of being linked to the movement.

Harun İpek, a 41-year-old father of four, lost his two legs after he stepped on a mine planted by the outlawed PKK in 2001. He served as a public worker at Kırıkkale branch of the Directorate of Nature Conservation and National Parks until he was fired.

“My children used to be proud of being children of a veteran. Now they are seen as infidels. …I have not been told about the underlying reason [for my removal]. Due to the reasons beyond my control, I sent my children to such schools for seven years in freely-granted veteran-quota,” İpek said.

More than 100,000 people have been either sacked or suspended from state institutions over their alleged links to the movement so far.

Source: Turkey Purge , Sep 18, 2016


Related News

Gulen, Moderate Cleric, Vilified In Turkey

The Turkish government’s war on the Gulen movement has shown no signs of ebbing. Ankara is so determined to crack down on this loose network that its top security council framed it as a terrorist group last week.

Hizmet unmasks ‘undemocratic’ Erdogan

What appears to be going on in Turkey now is a struggle between the Hizmet movement and Erdogan. However, when you scratch the surface, it is easy to detect the increasing authoritarian and arbitrary rule under Erdogan’s government. All Gulen is doing is asking for a more democratic Turkey.

Teacher detained just after giving birth, handcuffed to bed at hospital

Turkish teacher Fatma Ozturk was detained just after she gave birth to her baby at Ege Umut Hospital in Manisa’s Turgutlu district while police handcuffed her to a bed she is resting on.

Turkey and the “forgotten” Zaman journalists in jail

Two years of the seizure of his newspaper and his sacking, the former bureau chief of Zaman newspaper in Brussels, Selçuk Gültasli, visited the EFJ-IFJ headquarter to deliver a special briefing on “the desperate situation of Zaman journalists and media workers in jail” in Turkey.

Fethullah Gulen: I consider the coup attempt as a serious “terror coup”

The events of that night [the coup attempt] could be called as a serious terror coup. I categorically reject such accusations. The claim that I convinced the 8th biggest army in the world from 6000 miles away against its own government is an incredible slander. I would like those who are responsible for this coup attempt, regardless of their identities, to receive the punishment they deserve after a fair trial.

Cyber attacks on news websites threaten freedom of press, expression

Starting mid-February, the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has been severely penalizing a number of news TV channels known for their anti-government broadcasts. Those channels, which include Samanyolu Haber TV and Bugün TV, were mostly penalized on the grounds that their programs were biased. The channels have been broadcasting reports about claims of corruption and bribery that have implicated some government members.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan vows to strip Gülen sympatizers off Turkish citizenship

Fethullah Gülen: An Islamic sign of hope for an inclusive Europe

Turkey seeks three consecutive life sentences for Zaman journalists on coup charges

Why Fethullah Gulen will never support a coup?

Gülen’s lawyer denies any link with bugging probe suspect

Romanian Minister: Turkish schools are raising the next generation of Romanians

Graft probe in Turkey: Path and passengers

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News