Turkish government defiant as battle over prep schools rises

The government’s plan to close down private prep schools have a created an uproar at the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement. The plans have created a deep rift between the government and the movement.
The government’s plan to close down private prep schools have a created an uproar at the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement. The plans have created a deep rift between the government and the movement.


Date posted: November 25, 2013

Both the government and the Gülen movement have raised the stakes in the debate over a plan to regulate private prep schools, or dershanes.

The tension recently peaked, with Erdoğan describing the group’s objection to his government’s plans as a “smear campaign.”

“You can hear very bad things, but you should not retaliate. Nowadays, there’s something called Twitter. It is Allah’s mercy if it is used as a means of good things. But it is Allah’s damned thing if it sets people at odds,” Gülen told his followers in video footage released Nov. 25. “We should not hurt anyone even if we are hurt. We should always act in a conciliatory way,” Gülen said in the video titled “Hiç durmadan yürüyeceksiniz” (You will never stop walking).

“Hiç durmadan yürüyeceksiniz” was one of the hash-tags that became a trending topic on Twitter last week due to Gülen’s followers’ efforts in a recent social media battle between the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) supporters and Gülen’s followers over the prep school row.

Since the beginning of the public debate, both parties have launched an intense social media campaign to justify their support or objection to the move.

Ekrem Dumanlı, editor-in-chief of daily Zaman, which is known for its close ties with the Gülen movement, wrote an open letter to Erdoğan and urged him to review his decision.

“So if all these people are saying this is wrong, listening to them is not a weakness but a virtue. This is what the nation expects from you. Otherwise, it will take forever to heal the wounds that have been inflicted in their hearts. So is it worth it?” Dumanlı wrote in his letter published Nov. 25.

Zaman also published prominent opinion leaders’ views objecting to closing down the prep schools in its special “Truth of Prep Schools” supplement released Nov. 25.

Only 20 percent of prep schools have the capability to be transformed into private schools, while the remaining 80 percent will have to transform into either private, open-education high schools, free public education centers or free study centers, Avcı said, adding that the government would give all kinds of incentives to smooth their way for transformation.

Avcı’s remarks came at a panel on developments in the education system, which was hosted by the Foundation for Political, Economic and Social Research (SETA).

The government’s move was protested at a meeting, which was hosted by the Education Ministry in the Antalya province on the Mediterranean coast Nov. 25.

The meeting was aimed at informing executives from private prep schools and study centers in Adana, Antalya, Burdur, Isparta, Karaman, Mersin and Osmaniye.

Delivering a speech at the opening of the meeting, Education Ministry Deputy Undersecretary Yusuf Büyük emphasized their goal was not to persuade anybody on the issue but was called so that they could solicit advice and proposals from executives about transforming the private prep schools and study centers, Anadolu Agency reported.

After Büyük’s speech was over, the meeting was closed to the press. In the meantime, some 100 representatives of private prep schools and study centers left the hall while applauding in protest.

Aydın Vural, speaking to reporters on behalf of the group, said the meeting was not aimed at consultation but was aimed at persuasion and imposition. Vural also likened the meeting to a theatrical performance.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News , November 25, 2013


Related News

Nigeria wants more Turkish schools to increase quality of education

Dr. Mac-John Nwaobiala, the permanent secretary of the Nigeria Federal Ministry of Education, said on Sunday more Turkish schools must be opened in Nigeria to increase the quality of education.

Tape politics

Someone placed a bugging device to wiretap the prime minister in a room that was being placed under constant surveillance. What is easier than catching the perpetrators behind this? Who entered and left the room should have been recorded. This incident took place in 2011 but as of now, this still remains unresolved and the Hizmet movement is being blamed for it.

Turkey’s post-coup purge and persecution makes no exception for children

A post-coup purge in Turkey is continuing to take a huge toll on human life, making no exceptions for children. The Stockholm Center for Freedom has compiled data regarding seven children struggling with a mortal disease in the absence of their fathers.

Turkish police detain 35 lawyers for ‘defending’ Gülen sympathizers

This latest move against the Gulen sympathizers is a violation of a basic right of the suspects, who are still legally innocent until proven guilty, to defend themselves at the courts. It is clear that Erdogan regime leaves the suspects no room to defend themselves at the courts.

Silence of the (AKP) lambs

Erdoğan risks his own Islamic beliefs just to lead his voters to believe that Gülen and his followers are not Muslims, but puppets and even agents of the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) — just like Ivan Watson of CNN International! — and Mossad. Erdoğan also keeps claiming that Fethullah Gülen and Hizmet movement supporters are terrorists.

Members of US Congress withstand intense pressure over press freedom letter

Members of the US Congress who submitted a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry last month on the dismal state of media freedom in Turkey are standing firm behind their signatures despite intense pressure from the Turkish government and the pro-government media.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Gülen says he could be blamed for assassination of an MHP, CHP politician

Opposition deputy seeks answers on gov’t ban on Kimse Yok Mu

Erdoğan’s efforts to destroy the Gulen movement aimed at consolidating his own power and regime

Welcome to the Republic of Paranoia

Beacons of hope in Germany

“The Art of Coexistence” discussed in Madagascar

Thousands Are In Turkish Prisons For Downloading This App

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News