Sacked policeman’s grim death sparks debate on COVID-19 data in Turkish prisons

Pictures from Mustafa Kabakçıoğlu’s prison cell in the northern province of Gümüşhane showed his dead body on a plastic chair in filthy surroundings, prompting deputies to question prison conditions.
Pictures from Mustafa Kabakçıoğlu’s prison cell in the northern province of Gümüşhane showed his dead body on a plastic chair in filthy surroundings, prompting deputies to question prison conditions.


Date posted: October 26, 2020

The pictures showing the grim death of Mustafa Kabakçıoğlu, a police officer sacked with an emergency decree in 2016, have sparked debate on the conditions in Turkish prisons amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Media reports said that the police officer, who had been in jail for four years, repeatedly asked for treatment for his deteriorating health, but his transfer to a hospital was denied.

The pictures showing the grim death of a police officer sacked with an emergency decree have sparked debate on the conditions in Turkish prisons amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Pictures from Mustafa Kabakçıoğlu’s prison cell in the northern province of Gümüşhane showed his dead body on a plastic chair in filthy surroundings, prompting deputies to question prison conditions.

Media reports said that the police officer, who had been in jail for four years, repeatedly asked for treatment for his deteriorating health, but his transfer to a hospital was denied.

Mustafa Kabakcioglu

Kabakçıoğlu, who suffered from asthma and diabetes, was put in a quarantine cell on Aug. 20 on suspicion of COVID-19 after he started coughing and stayed in the cell alone for nine days until authorities discovered his dead body on Aug. 29.

Mustafa Kabakcioglu

The police officer was arrested on July 26, 2016 and was dismissed from his post as part of a state of emergency decree issued on Sept. 1, 2016.

Turkey declared a months-long state of emergency following the July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt that’s widely believed to have been masterminded by U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen. *

Thousands were dismissed from their posts as part of the decrees issued during the emergency rule, which critics say was used by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) to silence dissent.

The government says that those dismissed are linked to the Gülen movement.

Those sacked with state of emergency decrees are trying to be reinstated to their jobs amid Turkey’s slow functioning judicial system.

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy Gülizar Biçer Karaca has asked the Justice Ministry to reveal the data on COVID-19 in prisons and whether negligence lead to Kabakçıoğlu’s death.

Mustafa Kabakcioglu

“Why is the Justice Ministry silent on what is happening in prisons during the pandemic and why doesn’t it share data since July?” Karaca said in her parliamentary question on Oct. 15.

“Kabakçıoğlu’s death shows that the pandemic conditions in prisons are not in line with human dignity,” she added.

She also asked the ministry to explain the picture that shows Kabakçıoğlu’s dead body on a chair.

“Why was he found sitting on a chair?” Karaca asked.

Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) deputy Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu addressed Justice Minister Abdülhamit Gül on Twitter.

“His death is filled with negligence, have you heard?” asked Gergerlioğlu.

Following criticism, Gümüşhane Public Prosecutor’s Office released a statement on Kabakçıoğlu’s death on Oct. 14, saying that the deceased officer didn’t want to go to a hospital.

It also said that an investigation was launched into the publishing of pictures from inside prison.

The Justice Ministry on Oct. 15 said that two inspectors were assigned to look into whether there was any negligence in Kabakçıoğlu’s death.

* Fethullah Gulen strongly denies this grave accusation and calls the United Nations to form an international commission to investigate Turkey’s controversial coup attempt.


Related News

What I Saw In Turkey

Everywhere in Turkey, people are talking about the clampdown on the Turkish media. The situation is quite dire. At Samanyolu, a TV station, has 14 broadcast channels in Turkey, English, Arabic and Kurdish and dozens of radio stations and popular news portals. Foreign news chief, Adnan Tokkapi, said its general manager, Hidayet Karaca, has been held in prison without conviction since December 2014.

Grand stage shows by Turkish Olympiad students enthrall İzmir locals

İPEK ÜZÜM, İSTANBUL Students coming to Turkey from all around the globe for the 11th International Turkish Olympiad — a festival that celebrates the Turkish language and which this year has brought together 2,000 students from 140 countries — fascinated thousands of locals in İzmir with their stage performances on Sunday night. A very large […]

Canada’s Turkish community on edge as government crackdown continues

In the aftermath of the failed coup — and the subsequent purge of thousands of workers accused of being dissidents — Canada has seen a spike in asylum claims from Turkey. The 55,000-strong Turkish-Canadian community has also become increasingly polarized, with distrust and accusations of witch hunts against anyone deemed to be a sympathizer and supporter of the Gulen Movement.

“We will celebrate a new world”

The languages, faiths, colors, countries or flags of the two thousand Turkish Olympiads participant students who hyped up millions in 55 cities and on tens of TV channels were different. Yet, they shared the common mission to build a new world filled with love.

Iran’s Turkish gold rush

While the gas-for-gold scheme may have been technically legal before Congress finally shut it down in July, it appears to have exposed the Turkish political elite to a vast Iranian underworld. According to Today’s Zaman, suspicious transactions between Iran and Turkey could exceed $119 billion — nine times the total of gas-for-gold transactions reported.

Brazil’s top court denies extradition of [Gulen-linked] Erdogan opponent

Brazil’s chief prosecutor’s office argued before the court against the extradition of Sipahi, who has lived in Brazil for 12 years, saying it had no evidence of terrorist acts committed by Hizmet.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

UN praises Kimse Yok Mu for aid efforts in Somalia

South Korean Superintendents of Education meet with Rainbow International Schools officials

The Islamic roots of the conflict in Turkey

Fethullah Gülen speaks at UN

White House courts int’l students as language festival concludes in DC

Turkish police to detain another woman immediately after delivery

What is the main offense that the Cemaat (Hizmet movement) has committed?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News