Response to aspersion on Hizmet

Hüseyin Gülerce
Hüseyin Gülerce


Date posted: December 6, 2013

HÜSEYİN GÜLERCE

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) made an important statement on Thursday. Its press release, issued in connection with the recent tension that threatens to disrupt social consensus, seeks to defuse tension with regards to the rift between the government and the Hizmet movement.

“[T]he ways in which legitimate demands are voiced should not be offensive and should not allow those demands to be perceived as unjust,” it advises, addressing the volunteers who are inspired by the movement, while sporting recommendations for the government, political parties and civil society.

The most striking part of the press release is about recent allegations and slanders. Concerning the claim — I think this is more than a claim; it is slander — that the Hizmet movement will lend its support to the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) and campaign for Mustafa Sarıgül in İstanbul — although the CHP hasn’t announced his nomination — the press release says: “[I]t is impossible for [the Hizmet movement] to encourage its members to lend support to any specific political party or candidate. In particular, some recent approaches that put the spotlight on certain targets or political choices are completely illusory.”

The most unfair and ruthless slander in recent days is that the Hizmet movement partakes in conspiracies devised abroad against the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. The GYV responded to this claim as follows: “All conspiracy theories that suggest that by opposing — which are nothing but civilian and democratic in nature — the plan to close down prep schools the Hizmet movement is actually seeking to ‘divorce the ruling Justice and Development Party from Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan,’ ‘prevent Erdoğan from being elected as president,’ ‘establish a political party and seek a political career,’ ‘conspire with foreign powers against the AK Party’ or purse similar political projects are totally baseless, unfounded, clearly slanderous and defamatory.”

What bothers me the most is that the Taraf newspaper added fuel to the rift between the government and the movement by running a story about the National Security Council’s (MGK) 2004 decision. The press release notes the tutelage regime in force at that time, invalidating conspiracy theories:

“It appears that the decision in question had been signed involuntarily by the civilian government in the anti-democratic circumstances of the time, but this decision does not tally with the government’s subsequent democratic practices.”

In addition, the GYV expressed its concerns about the profiling of citizens, civic groups and public employees. “It is worrisome to witness developments that echo the said MGK decision, such as the plan to ban prep schools, the profiling of public employees or the purging of bureaucrats who are affiliated with certain communities,” the statement said.

Without a doubt, the most significant part of the GYV’s statement was about the videotape conspiracy that infringed on the privacy of individuals and occupied the country’s agenda before the elections. Unfortunately some certain circles have directly or indirectly attempted to put the blame of the videotapes, which have been posted on the Internet, on the Gülen movement. For those who fear Allah, there cannot be a more grave insult or nefarious attack than this. This time, the state’s intelligence unit should be more vigilant in this regard.

During the debates on the tension between the Gülen movement and the government, the people of Turkey have been upset because of erroneous expressions. Hearts have been broken and minds have been clouded. Now, it is time to mend the bridge. Blaming each other for our mistakes will not pave the way for peace and a heart-softening process.

As it is stated in the statement: ” The Hizmet movement nurtures a heartfelt desire for Turkey to be endowed with true democracy, transparency and full-fledged rule of law and shows due respect to the nation’s democratic preferences and to Parliament.” No one will then have a problem with the elected government. And if the government embraces everyone and places a priority on justice and the rule of law, then everything will be fine.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 6, 2013


Related News

Gülen’s lawyer denies client facing arrest warrant or extradition

Nurullah Albayrak, lawyer for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has said that there is no criminal investigation, pending prosecution or any other judicial process ongoing in Turkey related to his client, refuting claims raised once again by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan about Gülen’s possible extradition from the US, where he now lives.

Turkish court: There is no Gulen terror organization

The 2nd Criminal Court in the southern province of Hatay rejected an indictment prepared about the Fethullah Gülen Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), a term used by the Turkish government to describe the Gülen movement, saying that there is no such a terrorist organization officially identified.

A Case for Why Gulen Would Never Support a Coup

In his interview with the prominent French newspaper Le Monde, Gulen has called the July 15 events in Turkey a “terror coup.” As a man who has always condemned terrorism and violence in any shape or form, to which his life’s work is evidence, it is hard to believe that Gulen could have had the slightest connection to the coup.

The end of ‘unshakable’ AKP myth

For the last couple of days, the codes and rules, which have been turned upside-down by Turkey’s ruling AKP, have become hard to keep up with since the AKP was forced to fight a self-created “monster.” The option for a snap election call seems the wisest option for his party but stakes are high over there too if he fails in his traditional “victimization” rhetoric, which worked well in many previous crisis, to convince his electorate.

[Part 2] Islamic scholar Gülen says he cannot remain silent on corruption

The Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen , who inspired the Hizmet movement, a world-wide network active in education, charity and outreach, also stated that the government must provide evidence to back up its accusations.

Exiled journalist discusses crisis in Turkey

Mahir Zeynalov has the distinction of being one of the first journalists kicked out of Turkey by the government of President Tayyip Erdogan in a crackdown on the media.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

A Personal Story from Turkey: I am a “Man of Law” Not a Terrorist!

Lawmakers from various countries call for better protection of female refugees

Turkey’s recent view from the US

Warning of another Feb. 28 on the eve of an MGK meeting

Feud between Turkey’s Erdogan and influential cleric goes public

What is wrong with the Western media?

Liberia: ‘Go Beyond Secondary Education’- VP Urges Liberia’s Turkish Light International School

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News