Police, inspectors raid Gülen-inspired schools in Manisa for 3rd time

Officers from the Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime Bureau accompanied by inspectors raided the Şehzade Mehmet Primary and Secondary Schools in Manisa on Monday. (Photo: Cihan)
Officers from the Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime Bureau accompanied by inspectors raided the Şehzade Mehmet Primary and Secondary Schools in Manisa on Monday. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: September 1, 2015

Police officers and inspectors from 15 government agencies have raided Gülen-inspired private schools in the western province of Manisa for the third time, as part of a government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement.

Manisa was among five provinces where the private and prep schools were raided on Aug. 26. The same schools in Manisa, including a kindergarten, were raided again on Aug. 27.

On Monday, officers from the Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime Bureau accompanied by inspectors from government bodies such as the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Education, the Finance Ministry, the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Animal Husbandry, the Gediz Electricity Distribution Company, the Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate (AFAD), the Turkish Standards Institution (TSE) and the Social Security Institution (SGK) raided the Şehzade Mehmet Primary and Secondary Schools.

Speaking to the Cihan news agency, a principal of one of the schools, Giray Kara, said, “What worries us [in school management] is that the students here for summer courses feel uneasy,” and added: “How many schools have been inspected this like this in Manisa, or in Turkey, with a number of officers stationed outside? Can these inspections really be considered routine when they are accompanied by police?” Addressing the inspectors, he asked, “Were your consciences clear during the inspections?” and continued: “These operations are not carried out on schools but on the futures of the 1,200 students being educated in Manisa. We will continue to educate them, no matter what.”

In the western province of Bursa, 47 Gülen-inspired private and prep schools and the offices of 15 businesspeople said to be supportive of the movement were also raided by police and inspectors on Monday.

A number of private and prep schools sympathetic to the Gülen movement have been targeted by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government after major graft investigations that implicated President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and other high-ranking AK Party figures were made public on Dec. 17 and 25, 2013. Then-Prime Minister Erdoğan accused the Gülen movement of using the investigations in an attempt to overthrow his government.

In May 2014, Erdoğan publicly advised AK Party supporters not to send their children to schools inspired by the movement, vowing, “We will not even give water [to the movement’s members].” He has also said he would carry out a “witch hunt” against anyone with any links to the Gülen movement. Erdoğan has also ordered officials in AK Party-run municipalities to seize land and buildings belonging to those inspired by the movement by any means necessary. The Gülen movement strongly denies the allegations and no indictment has been brought against it.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 31, 2015


Related News

Somali students caring for the Soma orphans

The Somali students who were previously brought to Soma, Manisa, for study by Kimse Yok Mu Foundation (KYM) in 2011, recently donated stationery supplies for 105 orphans the mining disaster left behind.

Inspectors finds no flaw in Kimse Yok Mu activities

A report prepared by inspectors assigned by the Interior Ministry earlier this year clearly states that not a single irregularity was discovered in the activities of the charity organization Kimse Yok Mu at the end of an audit carried out by the ministry’s inspectors.

Fethullah Gulen Acquitted

The Turkish Supreme Court of Appeals has rejected the Chief Prosecutor’s Office’s objection to the acquittal of scholar Fethullah Gulen, which was upheld by the appeals court in early March. Gulen had been charged with “establishing an illegal organization”. The objection was soundly defeated by a 16 to 7 vote. Fethullah Gulen’s acquittal has been […]

Dozens take to Parliament Hill to protest Turkish human rights violations

Dozens of protesters packed the steps of Parliament Hill Saturday to draw attention to human rights violations against women and children in Turkey, in the wake of last summer’s failed coup.

Gülen denies ‘groundless’ Stratfor claims of pressure on AK Party

8 March 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Well-respected Turkish intellectual and scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied recent media reports based on leaked e-mails from security analysis company Stratfor that said members of his movement were putting pressure on the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) in order to control the party. Gülen said through his lawyer […]

Filipino military awards Turkish high school for peace initiatives

The Armed Forces of the Philippines have recognized the Filipino-Turkish Tolerance School in Zamboanga for their contribution to peace in the region. The award came after the Turkish high school in the Philippines gave support to people suffering from internal conflict in Mindanao, one of the islands of the Philippines, and provided 38,000 homeless people with humanitarian assistance.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish minister: Gulenists are more dangerous than ISIL because they’re well-educated

Gulen-linked body condemns attempted Turkey coup

Fethullah Gulen: “If the allegations are proved, I agree to return to Turkey”

Turkey’s tryst with democracy (2)

Why Erdogan Is Soft On ISIS

Australian Catholic University Gulen Chair Launch

Ergenekon suspect convicted for insulting Gulen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News