‘Parallel’ lies won’t patch giant tear, Gülen tells government


Date posted: October 15, 2014

Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen has decried recent claims by the government and the president that his followers are behind recent violent street protests in Turkey, indicating that the government is attempting to patch up a “giant tear” it has made with these claims in an effort he said is bound to fail.

“Some tactless people would say there are ‘parallels’ behind such incidents. They do not even believe these lies, but in order to gloss over their wrongdoings they are cheering themselves up with this patch, which in fact cannot fix their tear. This tiny patch will not conceal that giant rip, friend!” Gülen said in a speech broadcast on the Herkul.org website on Wednesday.

Gülen and his Hizmet movement have been the direct targets of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government ever since a corruption probe in which some senior government members were implicated went public on Dec. 17. Erdoğan, who refers to Hizmet as a “parallel state” or “parallel structure,” accuses the movement of being behind the corruption operation.

The government now headed by Erdoğan’s successor Ahmet Davutoğlu has taken action to ensure the closure of schools opened by Hizmet followers in many countries around the world. Hizmet-affiliated institutions and schools in Turkey are also under intense pressure from the government.

Erdoğan has accused the movement of being behind almost every negative development in Turkey since then. Most recently, he said “Pennsylvania,” referring to Gülen’s current place of residence, is behind violent protests that engulfed the country last week over the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant’s (ISIL) siege of the Syrian Kurdish town of Kobani.

The Islamic scholar has repeatedly denied the government’s claims that he or Hizmet have tried to establish a parallel state.

Gülen said in his latest speech that even if the government now tries to conceal its wrongdoings, they will be written down in history and “they will have [their crimes] thrown in their faces in this world if they are alive, or in the other world if they are not.”

“Slander and displays of hate, like attributing street protests to this movement, [is an act that] cannot even be seen [being done by] unbelievers. Yes, such tactlessness cannot be seen in people from across the world who have different religions and cultures,” Gülen said.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 15, 2014


Related News

25 World Rights Groups Demand Turkey Scrap Emergency Rule

At least 25 leading international rights groups in various fields, human rights and media, have called for an end to certain measures of emergency rule in Turkey, warning against gross human rights violations and endangering the basic tenets of democracy and the rule of law.

Hizmet movement demonized by Erdogan regime but loved abroad

South Africa is a good example of a country that has not been pressured into adopting the narrative touted by the Turkish government. Local politicians, students and academics regularly acknowledge the Hizmet Movement’s altruistic activities in the country.

12-year-old claims asylum with UN as father caught in Erdogan’s anti-Gülen dragnet in Saudi Arabia

The 12-year-old T.K. has claimed asylum with the United Nations (UN) office in Saudi Arabia alone after his/her father was detained by Saudi officials as part of what many say President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s ever-growing witch-hunt against the Gulen movement that has spread to overseas in the recent past.

How the fallout from Turkey’s coup attempt has been felt in South Africa

In the late evening of Friday, July 15, word spread across the world that a coup was under way in Turkey. The president was missing, the military announced it had taken control of the country, and a few hours later, in the early hours Saturday morning, the coup was over.

Dozens of US Congress members urge Kerry to press Turkey for freer media

A large number of members of the US Congress have voiced concerns on the recent arrest of media members in Turkey and called on Secretary of State John Kerry to press the Turkish government to secure press freedom in the country.

Fethullah Gülen lawsuit [in the US] thrown out in setback for Turkey’s Erdoğan

A US judge has dismissed a human rights lawsuit against Fethullah Gülen, a US-based Turkish cleric who is a former ally turned prominent critic of his home country’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. The lawsuit, funded by Turkey, had claimed the Muslim cleric in Pennsylvania orchestrated human rights abuses in his native Turkey.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Half a million people in Turkey subject to prosecution over Gülen links: ministry

Turkish-Americans in Tennessee worry about their homeland

Pakistan submits to Turkey’s ‘authoritarian demands’ on Gulen

Interfaith Ramadan Iftar Dinner Held in Montville

Middle East’s Struggle for Democracy: Going Beyond Headlines

Will a diplomat who is ashamed of Erdoğan praise Gül?

Rumi Forum Fellowship Program 2015

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News