Panicky parents calmed over Feza Schools closure reports


Date posted: January 28, 2017

Saumu Mwalimu

Dar es Salaam — Feza Schools management yesterday moved to calm anxious parents and other stakeholders following reports that the Turkish government was plotting a take over or closure of the famed learning institutions.

Panicky parents and suppliers have been calling the schools officials and teachers to seek information on the matter, even as it emerged yesterday that some of the schools expansion plans in Mwanza and Dodoma have been temporarily halted to await clearance of the arising confusion.

The Feza Schools’ director Mr Ibrahim Yunus yesterday sought to calm the parents and students, saying learning and other services were going on normally in all its campuses. He said there was no reason to panic as the board had engaged relevant government authorities to ensure there was no disruptions of activities.

“This discussion about Turkey and the supposed plot to close our schools is scaring parents and raising uncertainty among other stakeholders. I haver received a number of calls from concerned parents but we have told them that there is no cause for alarm because this matter will come to pass without any harm,” Mr Yunus told The Citizen in an exclusive interview yesterday in Dar es Salaam.

The director assured the public that claims linking the institution to an alleged terror network were grossly untrue and a fabrication made with the intention of spoiling its image. “We have spoken before and I say this today that, our schools have no link with any terror group, we are a local registered charity organisation where every single sent obtained from schools fee is used for the redevelopment of the schools,” he added.

According to Mr Yunus, they have provided 600 direct and over 1000 indirect employments.

“We are secular schools, having only 52 per cent of Moslem students this year, and due to our performance we have encouraged competition among private and public schools and that healthy in the education sector in general,” said Mr Yunus.

Mr Yunus assured parents with children studying in the schools that the government of Tanzania was handling the matter in a good way and they are optimistic that the future of the schools is safe.

“Those who want to bring Feza down do not care for the interest of Tanzania and should instead aim at introducing similar schools to raise competition and standards in the education sector.

Other education stakeholders have also aired their views on the saga, warning that the wrangles should not be left to affect the students studying in its campuses. Feza Schools has 11 campuses providing primary, secondary and high school learning to nearly 4000 pupils and students. It is a prestigious schools attracting many students of who is who in the country and also providing bursary to thousands of poor bright students.

Those who spoke to The Citizen warned that the government should not allow politics to interfere with the facility. They said diplomatic relations between Turkey and Tanzania should work towards bettering the society and not wrecking it.

While in Tanzania last week, President Erdogan appealed for local government support to fight a supposed terror network he claimed was fighting his government. Turkey has privately listed Feza Schools among institutions run by a charity organisation under preacher Fethullah Gulen who they accuse of waging a terror war against Ankara.


Related Video

Ali Mahmoud – University Student in the USA, graduate of the Feza Boys’ Secondary and High School, Dar as Salaam, Tanzania (Class of 2015)

Source: The Citizen , January 27, 2017


Related News

ARO’s healthcare alliance with Cambodian Government agencies

Australian Relief Organisation has formed a trilateral alliance with Cambodian Government agencies, including the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Rural Development, and Mekong Charity to deliver healthcare projects in Cambodia.

In rare interview: Fethullah Gulen rebukes Turkish regime

“The master” suggested that democracy is the best option for societies characterized by diversity and heterogeneity clarifying that those features apply to both Egypt and Turkey as they house many segments of Muslims and Christians as well as atheists. Hence, Gulen proposes that the administration system must be tolerant to not create hostilities, which have become common in Turkey.

Documents expose plot to hold Hizmet responsible for KPSS cheating

The Zaman daily has published documents which reveal that a plot was devised to unjustly hold the members of the Hizmet Movement responsible for a cheating scandal at the State Personnel Examination (KPSS) in 2010.

NTIC Foundation: Touching lives in Nigeria

Foreign capital typically finds its place among the most promising market indicators, as transnational investors constantly seek maximum returns on their investments. But for the First Surat Group Company, it is obviously not all about the bottom line.

Mongolian teacher Galimbek’s message

Because we have been unable to become a regular and normal democracy, every generation and every social segment has once been defined as a domestic enemy in different periods. One of the things that the clandestine structures governing the old Turkey did best was to declare part of the people as an internal enemy and to launch effective propaganda to undermine their image in the eyes of the people.

Father of three released only after wife died following heart attack

Engin Öztürk, a father of three who spent 15 months behind bars over his alleged ties to the Gulen movement, has been released only after his wife, Vina Öztürk passed away following a heart attack.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Journalist Dumanlı says slanders against Hizmet reminiscent of Feb. 28 era

Unaffected by tension, TUSKON promotes Turkish economy

White House praises Rumi Forum

Bosnia rejects Turkey’s extradition request for journalist over Gülen links

The 26th meeting of “Covering Turkey:” the past, present and future of prep schools

Wife of veteran who lost hand, eyes in bomb attack under custody over Gülen links

Local officials, volunteers launch expanded effort to help Syrian refugees

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News