Overwhelming public response in support of Bank Asya

A public outcry against the raid and temporary management takeover of Bank Asya has seen countless customers depositing their money in support.
A public outcry against the raid and temporary management takeover of Bank Asya has seen countless customers depositing their money in support.


Date posted: February 10, 2015

Solidarity campaigns against the Banking Regulation Supervision Agency’s (BDDK) decision to have the Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) temporarily take over the management of Bank Asya have been springing up across the nation.

The raid and management take over, conducted amidst the heavy presence of police and water cannons on shaky legal grounds, was intended to scare customers into withdrawing their money and sinking the bank. Instead scores of customers across the nation visited their local branches and deposited their earnings to defy the BDDK.

Police efforts to further intimidate by recording those who participated in the solidarity campaigns were ignored by the loyal customers who responding by waving at the cameras pointed at them by the security forces.

One such solidarity campaign took place in Gaziantep, with citizens arriving in front of the bank early in the morning to protest the BDDK decision and deposit their money. One participant, Sema Kömürcü, told Bugün “We’re not here just to support Bank Asya but in support of the entire Turkish economy. It isn’t just about standing up for Bank Asya, it’s about standing up for Turkey, about standing up for democracy.”

Another loyal customer was retiree Muhammet Nami Güzeler from the southeastern city of Malatya, who said he had already sold his apartment in the city center and come to the bank to deposit the money. He added he was also trying to sell his two cars so he could deposit that money as well.

Source: BGNNews , February 10, 2015


Related News

Turkish press council condemns false reports on Gülen movement

The High Committee of the Press Council in Turkey, following an appeal by the lawyer of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has examined certain articles from the Sabah and Takvim dailies and condemned them for violating its basic principles of journalism.

Erdoğan’s AKP runs out of steam, then what?

We are now in the midst of a system crisis with unprecedented dimensions and unforeseen consequences. Turkey’s fiercely embattled Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is betting whatever the country has gained over the past years on a game of prospects that will either lead to a downfall, or turn the stakes in such favor for himself so as to speed up his irresistible rise to untouchability.

‘I don’t have a home right now’: Turkish NBA player Enes Kanter talks activism, basketball

“I don’t have a home right now,” Kanter told CBC News Network’s Steve Niles on Tuesday. “If I was anywhere else besides in America, besides Canada, yes, I believe my life could be in danger because I get death threats almost every day [from] Erdogan’s goons.

5,166 Turkish citizens sought asylum in Germany during January-November

According to data from the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, there has been a rapid rise in the number of Turkish people seeking asylum in Germany since a failed coup attempt on July 15. Germany received asylum applications from a total of 5,166 Turkish citizens during the January-November period of 2016, according to a story in Deutsche Welle on Sunday.

Turkey’s Real Coup [by Erdogan] Has Begun

Erdoğan is a dictator, but he might not have achieved his ambition absent Western naïveté. He and his supporters played American and European officials like a fiddle. He sought to disempower the Turkish military but couched his ambition to do so in the rhetoric of democratic reform.

President Gül dismisses calls to help tackle political turmoil

During a press conference held on Monday, the GYV, whose honorary chairman is Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, stated that a hate crime is being carried out against the Hizmet movement in Turkey and called on President Gül to take the initiative to investigate the executive branch’s recent attempts to render the judiciary dysfunctional.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Client fearfully waiting his turn to be tortured at Ankara police station: lawyer

No return from democracy, Zaman editor Dumanlı says under detention

Why does Fethullah Gülen matter to the world?

‘Turkish schools in Nigeria are not owned by government of Turkey’

100,000 blankets campaign by Turkish-American groups in US media

Attacking the Journalists and Writers Foundation

Nigerien Deputy Ministers examine Turkish Education System

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News